York
✟16,776.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hello. I am fairly new to Christianity and am trying to figure everything out piece by piece. I was baptized when I was an infant. I have no recollection of this event and had no say in the matter. I am about to graduate high school, and throughout my childhood and teenage years I have not exactly been religious. At times, I have even identified as athiest. My family does not practice the religion at home or attend church. However, things have changed. For the last few months I have started to really delve deep into the bible and trying to understand its messages. I fully believe in God and in Christ as the savior. My question is, if I was baptized without choice as an infant, have strayed from God for most of my life, and do not regularly attend church, will I still have and be guided by the holy spirit as long as I fully believe in Christ? Do I need to belong to a church or be re-baptized in order to have the holy spirit, or is full belief enough? Thanks.

P.S, I plan on attending church regularly once I leave for college in a few short months.

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,237,972.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Hello. I am fairly new to Christianity and am trying to figure everything out piece by piece. I was baptized when I was an infant. I have no recollection of this event and had no say in the matter. I am about to graduate high school, and throughout my childhood and teenage years I have not exactly been religious. At times, I have even identified as athiest. My family does not practice the religion at home or attend church. However, things have changed. For the last few months I have started to really delve deep into the bible and trying to understand its messages. I fully believe in God and in Christ as the savior. My question is, if I was baptized without choice as an infant, have strayed from God for most of my life, and do not regularly attend church, will I still have and be guided by the holy spirit as long as I fully believe in Christ? Do I need to belong to a church or be re-baptized in order to have the holy spirit, or is full belief enough? Thanks.

P.S, I plan on attending church regularly once I leave for college in a few short months.
Your baptism is finally showing fruit. No need for being baptized all over again. Your baptism is indelible, and it laid fallow up to now.

Do look to be confirmed. And treat that as your reaffirmation of the vows you were too young to take or remember at your baptism.

Upvote 0

BunkerBuster91

Apr 26, 2018
us
✟29,017.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
well you say you believe in jesus mostly well if you believe in jesus i guessingg that would be yes the spirit was in you baptized can be done again should go church sure it will help you understand more of the bible alot more and have christian friends and pastors to help you understand more sounds like you not even athiest along you believe in jesus he die and rose and his blood you a christian and sure enjoy your walk and get stronger got any questions feel free to ask plus church be great step now some churchs like l.g.b.t churchs not church you should go too because they not tell the truth so feel free to ask anyone here im sure they can help thank

• Agree
Reactions: paul becke
Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,381.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
You are already seeking God (and hopefully the Kingdom as Jesus wished), so you are well on your way. Your decision is whether you want scripture to speak to you, or allow man to interpret for you. No guarantees there, so it would be wise to take your time and see how those interpretations weigh against scripture,

I think you may find the Kingdom often ignored as compared to other gospels, but that is up to you to discern for yourself. Just be wary of those who say you need their guidance. God said we are to plant seeds, not determine how they will grow in order to bolster the ranks so to speak.

The seed has been planted in you. The HS is already at work in guiding you in the ways of the Kingdom. Asking questions is a good start. Accepting answers at face value is not.

• Agree
Reactions: paul becke
Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟325,251.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

I'm not sure where you were baptized but your baptism is valid provided that it was a Trinitarian baptism. To baptize a person for a second time is a grave error. Depending on which Church you were baptized in you might need to speak with a priest about chrismation .

Upvote 0

adb5577

May 5, 2019
York
✟16,776.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Your baptism is finally showing fruit. No need for being baptized all over again. Your baptism is indelible, and it laid fallow up to now.

Do look to be confirmed. And treat that as your reaffirmation of the vows you were too young to take or remember at your baptism.

Thanks for the reply

Upvote 0

adb5577

May 5, 2019
York
✟16,776.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm not sure where you were baptized but your baptism is valid provided that it was a Trinitarian baptism. To baptize a person for a second time is a grave error. Depending on which Church you were baptized in you might need to speak with a priest about chrismation .
Thanks for the reply

Upvote 0

adb5577

May 5, 2019
York
✟16,776.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
well you say you believe in jesus mostly well if you believe in jesus i guessingg that would be yes the spirit was in you baptized can be done again should go church sure it will help you understand more of the bible alot more and have christian friends and pastors to help you understand more sounds like you not even athiest along you believe in jesus he die and rose and his blood you a christian and sure enjoy your walk and get stronger got any questions feel free to ask plus church be great step now some churchs like l.g.b.t churchs not church you should go too because they not tell the truth so feel free to ask anyone here im sure they can help thank
Thanks for the reply

Upvote 0

crossnote

Berean
Site Supporter
May 16, 2010
So. Cal.
✟250,751.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

What is your attitude towards God Word? Do you have a hunger for it? Have you been shown truths from it you have never seen before? Has the love of God been shed across your heart (Rom 5:5)? Does Jesus mean everything to you?

Upvote 0

adb5577

May 5, 2019
York
✟16,776.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You are already seeking God (and hopefully the Kingdom as Jesus wished), so you are well on your way. Your decision is whether you want scripture to speak to you, or allow man to interpret for you. No guarantees there, so it would be wise to take your time and see how those interpretations weigh against scripture,

I think you may find the Kingdom often ignored as compared to other gospels, but that is up to you to discern for yourself. Just be wary of those who say you need their guidance. God said we are to plant seeds, not determine how they will grow in order to bolster the ranks so to speak.

The seed has been planted in you. The HS is already at work in guiding you in the ways of the Kingdom. Asking questions is a good start. Accepting answers at face value is not.
Thanks for the reply. Would you elaborate/clarify on your first paragraph regarding the decision to let scripture speak for me vs. allowing man to interpret for me?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

adb5577

May 5, 2019
York
✟16,776.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
What is your attitude towards God Word? Do you have a hunger for it. Have you been shown truths from it you have never seen before? Has the love of God been shed across your heart (Rom 5:5)? Does Jesus mean everything to you?
My attitude, outlook on life, and behavior have all substantially improved since beginning to study God's word. I am eager to study the bible and its messages each and everyday. I have learned much from the short time I have been able to delve into it and I regard the words of the bible as absolute truth. I have fully accepted Jesus as the savior.

Upvote 0

crossnote

Berean
Site Supporter
May 16, 2010
So. Cal.
✟250,751.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
My attitude, outlook on life, and behavior have all substantially improved since beginning to study God's word. I am eager to study the bible and its messages each and everyday. I have learned much from the short time I have been able to delve into it and I regard the words of the bible as absolute truth. I have fully accepted Jesus as the savior.
That's a good sign then that you are born again. Continue in His Word, as there are zillions of other voices out there wanting to draw you away from God's Word to the words of men and demons.

Reactions: friend of
Upvote 0

Gregory95

You will know them by their fruits
Jan 15, 2019
missouri
✟37,762.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So happy to hear you are turning to Christ read acts believe and be baptized now that being said it is important to understand what baptism is keep studying and you will see

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,381.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Thanks for the reply. Would you elaborate/clarify on your first paragraph regarding the decision to let scripture speak for me vs. allowing man to interpret for me?
The purpose of the HS was to guide us in the ways of the Kingdom (see Jesus' Gospel of the Kingdom)
Jesus taught us what we needed to know regarding His Gospel. Man makes a religion and all sorts of theology out of it. The choice is yours if you want to go head first into theology (what I call the land of confusion) or head first into the teachings of Jesus first (in which the parables become clear when you understand about the Kingdom and how it is opposite to the world man has made)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

adb5577

May 5, 2019
York
✟16,776.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The purpose of the HS was to guide us in the ways of the Kingdom (see Jesus' Gospel of the Kingdom)
Jesus taught us what we needed to know regarding His Gospel. Man makes a religion and all sorts of theology out of it. The choice is yours if you want to go head first into theology (what I call the land of confusion) or head first into the teachings of Jesus first (in which the parables become clear when you understand about the Kingdom and how it is opposite to the world man has made)
Appreciate it

Upvote 0

JIMINZ

Apr 13, 2017
Southern Ga.
✟157,715.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Hello. I am fairly new to Christianity and am trying to figure everything out piece by piece. I was baptized when I was an infant. I have no recollection of this event and had no say in the matter.

Your relationship with God through Jesus Christ is a personal thing, no other person can stand in proxy for you and profess belief, they are in essence professing their own belief.

However, things have changed. For the last few months I have started to really delve deep into the bible and trying to understand its messages. I fully believe in God and in Christ as the savior.

John 6:44
No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day.

You are being drawn by the Holy Spirit, this does not mean you received the Holy Spirit upon your infant Baptism, as some would have you believe.

You are professing your Faith in Christ right now to others on this Forum.

Rom. 10:10
For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

This is the first step, Jesus also said this about Salvation

Mark 16:16
He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.

You have the Belief portion, and have professed that Belief to others, (US) you now need to be Baptized.

Baptism is not a Ritual, it's an even of change in the Believer, when you were Baptized as an infant, you not only had no say in the matter, you didn't even know why you were being Baptized.

Jesus did not say,
Be Baptized and then at some later date in your life come to Belief in me.

Baptism is our identification with Christ in His Death and Resurrection, it is at this point we are Born Again of the Spirit, unto Newness of life in the Spirit, we Die to the sinful nature (The Flesh) through Baptism and are raised unto Life in the Spirit.

Rom. 6:4
Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.

Gal. 2:20
I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.

My question is, if I was baptized without choice as an infant, have strayed from God for most of my life, and do not regularly attend church, will I still have and be guided by the holy spirit as long as I fully believe in Christ?

The simple answer is NO, the more lengthy answer is, you never received the Holy Spirit, so how can He guide you, as the Scripture said Mark 16:16 you need to Believe and then be Baptized, in order for you to receive the Holy Spirit, it does not work the other way around.

Do I need to belong to a church or be re-baptized in order to have the holy spirit, or is full belief enough? Thanks.

Yes you should belong to a Church, but I do not believe, if you were Baptized as an Infant into the Catholic Church that any Priest would perform a do over, if you said you didn't believe the first one was valid.

But a Protestant Church would, because of their understanding of what is achieved in Baptism.

Yes you should be Baptize after you Believed, this would not be a Re-Baptism, because if it was, that would affirm the first one when you were an Infant was true and valid, and there would be no need for a second.

Also Yes, that you would be assured in your own self, that the Holy Spirit did in fact dwell in you.

Upvote 0

adb5577

May 5, 2019
York
✟16,776.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Your relationship with God through Jesus Christ is a personal thing, no other person can stand in proxy for you and profess belief, they are in essence professing their own belief.

John 6:44
No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day.

You are being drawn by the Holy Spirit, this does not mean you received the Holy Spirit upon your infant Baptism, as some would have you believe.

You are professing your Faith in Christ right now to others on this Forum.

Rom. 10:10
For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

This is the first step, Jesus also said this about Salvation

Mark 16:16
He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.

You have the Belief portion, and have professed that Belief to others, (US) you now need to be Baptized.

Baptism is not a Ritual, it's an even of change in the Believer, when you were Baptized as an infant, you not only had no say in the matter, you didn't even know why you were being Baptized.

Jesus did not say,
Be Baptized and then at some later date in your life come to Belief in me.

Baptism is our identification with Christ in His Death and Resurrection, it is at this point we are Born Again of the Spirit, unto Newness of life in the Spirit, we Die to the sinful nature (The Flesh) through Baptism and are raised unto Life in the Spirit.

Rom. 6:4
Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.

Gal. 2:20
I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.

The simple answer is NO, the more lengthy answer is, you never received the Holy Spirit, so how can He guide you, as the Scripture said Mark 16:16 you need to Believe and then be Baptized, in order for you to receive the Holy Spirit, it does not work the other way around.

Yes you should belong to a Church, but I do not believe, if you were Baptized as an Infant into the Catholic Church that any Priest would perform a do over, if you said you didn't believe the first one was valid.

But a Protestant Church would, because of their understanding of what is achieved in Baptism.

Yes you should be Baptize after you Believed, this would not be a Re-Baptism, because if it was, that would affirm the first one when you were an Infant was true and valid, and there would be no need for a second.

Also Yes, that you would be assured in your own self, that the Holy Spirit did in fact dwell in you.
Great answer with great info. Thanks.

Upvote 0

topher694

Go Turtle!
Jan 29, 2019
St. Cloud, MN
✟187,060.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

You don't need to do anything more than what you have already professed to have the Holy Spirit with you and guide you.

That being said. It would be very wise and helpful to find a church and attend as regularly as you can. It Also would be totally fine to get baptized again as a public declaration of your faith IF that sounds like something you'd be interested in, but that's totally up to you and in your timing. That is what I did, and I was baptized as an infant as well.

Upvote 0