Oct 29, 2016
India
✟15,111.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hi everyone,

I attend a non denominational church where it is required that one must speak with all the Elders (Same as pastors. Just that they don't like the 'title' of Pastor.) separately if one wants to take baptism. Depending on how it goes, they can say yes or no to your getting baptised. (A baptism class and testimony on stage on the day of baptism comes after this.) Considering that I am an extreme introvert who tends to clam up when talking to people whom I am not very acquainted with, I don't think I can convince them all and 'get a pass'. (I don't think I can speak to people from the stage as well - but that is not my issue right now.)

My question is - What is the purpose of this kind of an 'interview'? Please Correct me if I am wrong, but I have always thought baptism is an act of obedience? In which case, it just requires my own God given conviction? Do all churches have this type of a procedure? (I was baptised as a child (I am originally from a traditional Christian background.) and looking at the current scenario, might end up thinking that's enough.)

Last edited:

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hi everyone,

I attend a non denominational church where it is required that one must speak with all the four Elders (Same as pastors. Just that they have some issue with the 'title' of Pastor.) separately if one wants to take baptism. Depending on how it goes, they can say yes or no to your getting baptised. (A baptism class and testimony on stage on the day of baptism comes after this.) Considering that I am an extreme introvert who tends to clam up when talking to people whom I am not very acquainted with, I don't think I can convince them all and 'get a pass'. (I don't think I can speak to people from the stage as well - but that is not my issue right now.)

My question is - What is the purpose of this kind of an 'interview'? Please Correct me if I am wrong, but I have always thought baptism is an act of obedience? In which case, it just requires my own God given conviction? Do all churches have this type of a procedure? (I was baptised as a child (I am originally from a traditional Christian background.) and looking at the current scenario, might end up thinking that's enough.)
Hi, there. Well, they - as well as you - want to be sure that it's all done Scripturally.

From your point of view you want to honour the Lord in practising believer's baptism (Acts 2.41). From their point of view, they want to honour the Lord by obtaining some impression whether the candidate for baptism is someone who will practise what's in Acts 2.42.

If some of the overseers are seriously unsure, then from their point of view why would it honour the Lord for the baptism to go ahead regardless?

From your point of view you have the opportunity to be natural and truthful about your faith and walk, when you talk to them, possibly as a group.

Upvote 0

John Davidson

Apr 6, 2016
United States
✟20,664.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi everyone,

I attend a non denominational church where it is required that one must speak with all the Elders (Same as pastors. Just that they don't like the 'title' of Pastor.) separately if one wants to take baptism. Depending on how it goes, they can say yes or no to your getting baptised. (A baptism class and testimony on stage on the day of baptism comes after this.) Considering that I am an extreme introvert who tends to clam up when talking to people whom I am not very acquainted with, I don't think I can convince them all and 'get a pass'. (I don't think I can speak to people from the stage as well - but that is not my issue right now.)

Hi Dejected,
if you've already been baptized as an infant there is no need to be baptized again.

Also, no one who desires to be baptized should ever be denied this process. However, it is standard for most churches to have some sort of class or interview process prior to the baptism. This is generally so the leadership can make sure you understand the significance and reasons why you are being baptized.

• Agree
Reactions: Paidiske
Upvote 0

Jim Langston

Non denominational fundamentalist
Site Supporter
Jul 9, 2005
Bellingham, WA
✟79,514.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Baptism should only take place when the one being baptised has requested it, repented of their sins and has accepted Jesus christ as their Lord and savior.

I am fairly sure the elders just want to be sure thatcyou are actually saved.

In a lot of churches the person doing the baptism will ask something like, have you accepted jesus christ as your savior, then when they say yes, they will baptise them in accordance with their statement of belief. I don't find it extraordinary for an elder to do this interview before hand, perhaps ensuring you understand the path if salvation.

Upvote 0

MikeGray

Oct 27, 2016
Indiana
✟7,669.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
They probably have a conservative view of baptism and want to make sure you know the magnitude of the decision. I am 95% sure they probably don't allow childhood baptism if they make you go through this. Just talk to them about your concerns and I'm sure they will make an exception.

Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟797,617.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
HI and welcome to the forums.

Actually, as a believer, you've already received your first baptism. But you might not want to bring that up.

"Of the doctrine of baptisms ,..." Heb 6:2 Baptism can mean union and identification.

3 baptisms; specifically:

1 - By The Holy Spirit into Jesus is baptism for salvation (blood baptism)
(Matt 26:28; Mark 1:4, 16:16; Luk 3:3; 1 Cor 12:13:Acts 2:38: Gal 3:27)

Water and Spirit baptism follow - not in a set order:

2 - By other believers, water baptism (Matt 28:19)
3 - By Jesus with or into The Holy Spirit (The Spirit baptism)
(Matt 3:11;Mark 1:8, Luke 3:16; Acts 11:16)

"And there are three that bear witness in earth, the Spirit, and the water, and the blood: and these three agree in one." I John 5:7-8

Mostly fromhttp://www.charismamag.com/spirit/supernatural/17420-receiving-the-holy-spirit Robert Morris, Gateway Church

Upvote 0

Greg J.

Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2016
Southeast Michigan
✟233,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi everyone,

You don't need to "perform" well for them. They're accountable to God for how they treat you. It may make it easier to understand the reasons they might talk to you. (1) to get to know you better, because being baptized means you may be a more committed person, (2) make sure you believe in and follow Jesus, and (3) make sure you know what it means to be baptized. #3 is why a lot of churches have classes or have a chat with you.

The may also want to connect with you so they can follow up with you after being baptized.

Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.” (Matthew 28:19-20, 1984 NIV)

Upvote 0

High Fidelity

Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2014
✟905,075.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
I'd speak to them about your concerns but personally I'd be incredibly grateful for a church taking faith so seriously. It's a good indication.

Baptism is an incredibly important moment in a believer's life and too many churches churn them out willy-nilly nowadays.

They are, ultimately, your spiritual leaders ordained by God. They likely just want to make sure you are actually ready to undergo baptism because baptism isn't something you do every time you backslide, have a change of heart etc. It's the beginning of a long journey that not everyone's prepared for at the time they're baptised.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Brother Ron

Nov 1, 2016
Wisconsin
✟8,451.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hi Dejected,
if you've already been baptized as an infant there is no need to be baptized again.

My bible tells me that you must first believe, then be baptized.

Act 8:36

As they went along the road they came to some water; and the eunuch *said, “Look! Water! What prevents me from being baptized?”
Act 8:37

And Philip said, “If you believe with all your heart, you may.” And he answered and said, “I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God.”

Upvote 0

Pedrito

May 4, 2015
✟8,230.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Regarding baptism, the apostolic practice (and therefore the Scriptural practice) was to baptise people as soon as possible after their profession of faith. Was it not?

Actually, there is only one reason that “Bible Believing” churches (and others) choose to not follow the apostolic (Scriptural) precedent.

Those churches delay baptism and require interviews and “baptismal classes” in our day, to ensure that the persons to be baptised are grounded in the appropriate doctrines and practices for the “I am of Paul” or “I am of Apollos” church conducting the baptism. The baptism, when finally carried out, serves as an entry rite into that church’s loyal group of followers (despite any claims to the contrary).

Were that not so, why don’t those churches simply follow the documented apostolic practice? Are those churches more in tune with God’s ways than were the apostles? I think not.

=======================================================

Is it not amazing how even so-called “Bible Believing” churches, do not believe and follow what the Bible actually teaches?

=======================================================

And is their baptismal practice the only point of departure?

Could other doctrines and practices in fact be based on extra-Biblical theology developed after the apostles died (for instance), rather than on the Bible itself?

Food for thought?

Upvote 0

thesunisout

growing in grace
Site Supporter
Mar 24, 2011
He lifts me up
✟159,601.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi everyone,

Hi Dejected,

What the bible teaches us is to submit to the authority of those God has placed us under.

Hebrews 13:17

Obey your leaders and submit to them, for they watch over your souls as those who must give an account. To this end, allow them to lead with joy and not with grief, for that would be of no advantage to you.

You shouldn't have to convince them of anything. The Holy Spirit will let them know that it is time for you to be baptized; put your confidence in the Lord and do not fear

Philippians 4:6

Be anxious for nothing, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus

Anticipate the peace of God guarding your mind and heart as you lift up this issue to Him and resolve to do His will. God bless

Upvote 0