New Zealand
✟24,608.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If the Book of Mormon is the “most correct book ever written,” why were there more than 3,900 changes between the first few editions, many quite significant?

For example, the first Book of Mormon references King Benjamin on p.200.4 Later on, the name is changed to Mosiah.

The names are not even remotely similar!

Kiwi Christian

Jun 1, 2017
New Zealand
✟24,608.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I answered this several days ago, are you not reading our post?

I seem to remember you trying to get out of the errors by saying they were grammer or syntax problems, or something like that.

but, we are not talking just about that, but names, people, etc.

Upvote 0

withwonderingawe

Supporter
Sep 4, 2015
Salem Ut
✟161,549.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I seem to remember you trying to get out of the errors by saying they were grammer or syntax problems, or something like that.

but, we are not talking just about that, but names, people, etc.

No I said
What that is talking about is the ability to translate a language, they had what they called the interpreters and what Joseph Smith called a Urim and Thummim. A group of lost Nephites had found the writings of Ether from the Jaradites and wanted to translate them. (You really need to read the Book of Mormon just so you know the story line, oh and it's Mosiah 21 not Alma)

According to Skousen Joseph Smith made the change himself in the 1837 edition however Skousen gives the argument that Joseph didn't really need to make the change because Benjamin lived 3 years after his retirement. When Ammon left on his mission Benjamin may have been alive and still the spiritual leader of the community thus he may have had the interpreters in his possession but by the time Ammon returned with this group Mosiah had taken possession and did the translating.

Upvote 0

Kiwi Christian

Jun 1, 2017
New Zealand
✟24,608.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
No I said

God apparently dictated ( in the English of joes' day ) the bom word by word, letter by letter. joe proofread the transcripts and approved them for publication.

I see a number of maybes and perhaps in your comment. "gives the argument", "may have been", "may have had".

Sorry, this does NOT offer any excuse for the clear mistake GOD apparently made.

joe did NOT translate a language. GOD did. remember, the stone in the hat, the English words appeared supernaturally?

Upvote 0