Question for evolutionist

L

Lillen

Why is it so important that christians abandon their faith and start believing in evolution in stead?

Now you could argue the same way about creation, but we have an answer: if someone offer you the ability to be immortal, and have eternal life as a free gift from God, it would be a disaster if we did not witness about what Jesus did on the cross! He forgave you all your sins!

Nostromo

Brian Blessed can take a hike
Nov 19, 2009
Yorkshire
✟17,838.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Now you could argue the same way about creation, but we have an answer: if someone offer you the ability to be immortal, and have eternal life as a free gift from God, it would be a disaster if we did not witness about what Jesus did on the cross! He forgave you all your sins!
Christianity isn't the only religion to offer immortality and punish unbelievers. Why choose Christianity over the others?

What's so great about immortality anyway?

Upvote 0

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟909,323.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Why is it so important that christians abandon their faith and start believing in evolution in stead?

False dilemma - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Upvote 0

3sigma

Jan 9, 2008
✟3,007.00
Faith
Atheist
Good question. Why is it better to abandon ignorance and embrace knowledge instead? Why is it important to abandon fantasy and base one’s decisions on reality instead? I’d say it helps us avoid causing unnecessary harm by allowing us to come to reasonable conclusions.

Actually, you can’t argue the same way about creation at all. Fantasy is not the same as reality: it is the opposite. It isn’t a disaster for me to ignore the promises of religion. I’m not insecure enough to want to believe that nonsense and not credulous enough to allow my self to believe it.

Upvote 0

bibleblevr

Jan 27, 2009
Lynchburg VA
✟8,745.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Um Christians don't have to abandon their faith to accept that evolution is the best explication of how we got here.

Amen, why do so many creationists like to lump evolutionists into the same catigory as Non-christans?

Great quote by Augustine BWT he's my favorite theologian.

Upvote 0

Exiledoomsayer

Only toke me 1 year to work out how to change this
Jan 7, 2010
✟17,737.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single

You are making a common mistake in that you equate Evolution with Atheism, They are not synonyms.
There are many christians who accept evolution as a science, they simply see it as the path god choose to create.

Christianity is not only a litteral interpretation of the bible.
If your interpretation of the bible does not fit with reality at worst you are asked to realize that and switch a interpretation of the bible that does fit with reality. The bible, God, jesus and the holyspirit all remain the same. Heaven is still there so is hell so is 'objective' morality etc etc.

Think of it as asking a flat earther christian to accept the earth is round. You are not asking him to stop being a christian, you are asking him to correctly see reality and realize his interpretation was wrong.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Wiccan_Child

Contributor
Mar 21, 2005
Bristol, UK
✟31,731.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
It's not. Evolution and Christianity are completely unrelated, so you can happily believe both.

Hoorah! So why are you telling me about it?

Upvote 0

Delphiki

May 7, 2010
Ohio
✟5,675.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
I'm probably just repeating what's already been said in this thread, but you don't have to give up your faith to learn about the Theory of Evolution and accept the evidence for it.

Also, I would never in a million years want to be immortal, even if it were possible.

A long life? Sure. But not an eternity.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,756.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
I'm probably just repeating what's already been said in this thread, but you don't have to give up your faith to learn about the Theory of Evolution and accept the evidence for it.

Also, I would never in a million years want to be immortal, even if it were possible.

A long life? Sure. But not an eternity.

Immortal could be fun, if done right. Perhaps something half way to reincarnation. Sort of like a Phoenix. But it would mean forgetting and rebuilding. Far from the usual versions of immortality.

Upvote 0

eugler

Nov 1, 2010
✟15,202.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private

Well, first of all what is an evolutionist? Is it the same as Big Bangist or a Germist or whatever else you could call a person that is familiar with and persuaded by the contributions of science to our lives?

The "Evolution" that Creationists are attacking is just a poor metaphor for the collection of knowledge that was attained by the scientific method. Its merits are undeniable and while giving interesting insights in our existence this knowledge could lead an educated person to the conclusion that this existence is far more complex than the bible indicates. That of course doesn't mean that it proves any religion to be wrong as some of the more sophisticated christians in this thread have already pointed out. Yet there are a bunch of uneducated and insecure Christians who happily fall for the snake oil venders that sell them books, films and lectures telling them that their faith is under attack by some kind of diabolic atheist conspiracy. It would be funny if it wouldn't be so sad.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DrkSdBls

Feb 19, 2006
✟2,298.00
Faith
Seeker
Immortal could be fun, if done right. Perhaps something half way to reincarnation. Sort of like a Phoenix. But it would mean forgetting and rebuilding. Far from the usual versions of immortality.

I wouldn't say no to something along the lines of Doctor Who.... Just regenerate yourself a new body every few years. All new Face, Whole new Out-look, no need to grow up all over again.

Anyway, Personally, The Christian Promise of Heaven never did appeal to me anyway. My idea of heaven? God can come and take the Lunatics and then Leave the rest of us alone in peace.

Upvote 0

KIYX

Jul 18, 2010
✟9,824.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian

I dunno, why is it so important for creationists to lie about what evolution is and then lie to their fellow christians by claiming you can't be a christian and believe in evolution?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

LifeToTheFullest!

May 12, 2004
✟6,295.00
Faith
Agnostic
If you had given any thought to my response, you would not have felt the knee-jerk need to post an insult in your response. This website never dissapoints.
If you had given any thought to your response, he would not have responded so quick with a response. If you had given any thought to your knee-jerk response to his response to your response, none of this would have responsibly happened. So, think of this before you respond in the future. It will save a lot of jerked knees.

Upvote 0

Phred

Junior Mint
Aug 12, 2003
✟22,717.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Why would it be important to see a ball fall to the ground and then say you didn't believe in gravity? Facts are facts whether you believe them or not and we know more about evolution than we do about gravity. But you wouldn't ever consider saying you didn't believe in gravity, would you? No, of course not. Mainly because the effects of gravity can be seen in moments. You have to take time to understand evolution and then it conflicts with something you want to believe... that man is a special creation and holds a special place in the universe. To those of us who understand it however, it's as obvious as that ball falling. When you say you don't believe it then it's just as foolish.

But you don't have an answer. What you believe about a life after this one in no way has anything to do with how this universe was created, how this world was created or how man came to be. You're conflating belief with reality. Frankly, I don't think that you believe in something that's real.

Upvote 0