Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
We can agree to disagree, but you still won't find any claims of evolutionary limits in the Bible. It's simply not Biblical.

I understand that's what you believe ... I believe differently.

Upvote 0

Ophiolite

Recalcitrant Procrastinating Ape
Nov 12, 2008
✟241,524.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
macro-evolution and creation are mutually exclusive
Many Christians, arguably the majority, do not find these two to be mutually exclusive. Perhaps you should take up that point with your fellow Christians. Since I don't accept a high probability for a divine act of creation the argument doesn't concern me, except when attempts are made to corrupt science education with Creationist concepts, or to misrepresent scientific findings.

However, personally I do not believe in macro-evolution ...
Neither do I. I think belief is an unreliable mental attitude. I accept macro-evolution as part of a broader explanation for the existence and character of the biosphere. If new evidence, or improved interpretations of the evidence turn up that demonstrate the unlikelihood of macro-evolution I shall, after due diligence, accept those findings. Belief, doesn't enter into it.

People make choices .... majority choose either macro-evolution or creation (excluding some other "unique" beliefs) in regard to "the beginning of all things" ... it's not a right or wrong issue .... it is a totally unknown issue, the universe is too vast .... NOBODY has all the "facts" ... and people decide what they want to believe.
You are correct. No one has all the facts. However, the facts we do have point overwhelmingly to the reality of evolution and the validity of the theory of evolution.
I decide what I wish to accept (not believe) based upon the evidence. Too many people (on both sides of the discussion) seem to make their choices based on what they want to believe.

Aside: I would like to believe in the Steady State universe, rather than the Big Bang. The Big Bang is abhorent to me, philosophically. I don't like it. Unfortunately, the evidence in favour of it and against the Steady State theory, is overwhelming and so I accept BB theory as the best explanation for the observations we have available. Any other action on my part would be fatuous arrogance.

You don't seem to like the use of the word theory .
I don't like the abuse of the word by many Creationists, or the equivocation of the term theory as used in a pub-conversation and theory as used by scientists.

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟722,409.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I get that. It's just that what you believe isn't a Biblical claim.

We believe differently my friend ... different beliefs are not unusual ... happens all the time ... and please quit nagging ...

that's your belief so be it .... it's not my belief so be it.

let it go ;o)

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
We believe differently my friend ... different beliefs are not unusual ... happens all the time ... and please quit nagging ...

let it go ;o)
You are welcome to your belief, but you must expect to be challenged if you misrepresent scientific findings or scientific terminology to promote your belief.

Upvote 0

Subduction Zone

Dec 17, 2012
✟230,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single

let it go ;o)
You should try to learn the difference between mere belief and knowledge.

Upvote 0

pitabread

Jan 29, 2017
Frozen North
✟336,823.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
You are welcome to your belief, but you must expect to be challenged if you misrepresent scientific findings or scientific terminology to promote your belief.

Or in this case, claim the Bible says things that it doesn't.

Upvote 0

pitabread

Jan 29, 2017
Frozen North
✟336,823.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private

I'm just pointing out that any claims about evolutionary limits in nature are not Biblical. That's it.

If you want to believe there are limits to evolution, that is fine. Just don't claim those beliefs are supported by the Bible, when there is nothing in there to support that belief.

Upvote 0

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟327,219.00
Faith
Atheist
I would like to know what good evolutionary theory has done me...
Don't start spouting genetic research.
That's like saying "What has Christianity done for you - and don't start spouting about God".

Genetics is the mechanism underlying evolutionary theory, so that is what is most used in real-world applications of evolutionary theory. These broadly involve medical applications, e.g. antibiotics, vaccines, epidemiology, etc., and food production, e.g. agriculture, livestock farming, fish farming, etc.

• Agree
Reactions: pitabread
Upvote 0