I've Got a Secret ;-)
Oct 20, 2004
Georgia, USA
✟2,285.00
Faith
Baptist
Politics
US-Republican
Why do many Christians believe that being gay or lesbian is a CHOICE, and that they can just choose not to be if they wanted to?
I don't know if I can put it more clearly and accurately than Bill did, but I shall try.

As Christians we follow the Word of God. If the Word of God says in both the Old and New testaments that homosexual practices are a sin then that is what we believe. We are all born with a sinful nature and free will. Sinful nature means that we have the propensity to commit a host of sins. Free will means we have that choice to give into those sinful desires. We can either choose to give in or we can strive to be holy.

Upvote 0

Antoninus Verus

Dec 28, 2004
Californication
✟2,022.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
Have you actually TALKED to any homosexual people about it? Some people do choose to become bisexual or homosexual, but I vast majority of the gay population is not gay by choice. Many gays struggle with the fact of thier sexuality for a LONG time before accepting it, some never do, others even commit suicide over it.

Upvote 0

Shy21

Dec 17, 2004
Visit site
✟9,359.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Single
Antoninus Verus said:
Have you actually TALKED to any homosexual people about it? Some people do choose to become bisexual or homosexual, but I vast majority of the gay population is not gay by choice. Many gays struggle with the fact of thier sexuality for a LONG time before accepting it, some never do, others even commit suicide over it.
I honestly don't believe people care about that anymore. If you are gay or lesbian you go straight to hell....bottom line. I dont feel that way tho....I love gay, lesbian and straight people all the same.

I believe in the end...G-d will judge their hearts and not by what Christians or any other religion thinks. So many people judge others when they don't have a right to judge or condemn anyone to hell.

Reactions: GMRELIC
Upvote 0

psychedelicist

aka the Akhashic Record Player
Aug 9, 2004
McKinney, Texas
✟18,251.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
In Relationship
I'm not a christian, but can I offer my 2 cents? I think it is somewhat of a choice. We are the sum of our experiences. If our experiences cause us to be gay, then in that sense it isn't really our choice. However, the gay person always has trhe choice of ignoring that and being straight instead, it would just take a while to get the homosexuality imprint out of our brains completely.

Upvote 0

morningstar2651

Senior Veteran
Dec 6, 2004
Arizona
✟66,649.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I recommend the scientific studies which show that genetics affect (not cause) whether a person is gay or straight. We can do the whole psychological nature vs. nurture debate all you want -- most people will ignore the evidence if it doesn't match their beliefs.

A homosexual is someone who finds people of the same sex to be attractive and the opposite sex to not be attractive.

Can you choose who is attractive to you?

Why aren't there more non-christian homosexuals? If someone doesn't have the guilt of sin and it were a choice why wouldn't they choose to be gay?

As for "going straight to hell" for being gay. Does Jesus save from all sins, or just some? This is something you should seriously consider before condemning people to Hell.

Upvote 0

Shy21

Dec 17, 2004
Visit site
✟9,359.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Single
Antoninus Verus said:
Glad to hear it
I am not trying to say they will go to hell....I honestly dont believe they will. I am just saying that because I have a cousin who is gay and his whole church tells him he is going to hell whenever he goes to church so he stopped going to church altogether and now his parents think even worse of him and calls him names. Sad and his mother is an evangelist. She should Pray for him instead of talk bad to his face.

Upvote 0

biblebabe003

Nov 7, 2004
✟219.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I trust God with all my heart and I dont think he would consider anything that we can't control and don't choose to do a sin. But, I definitely don't believe that being homosexual gives you a ticket straight to hell and I think any Christian who believes that needs to turn the page in their Bible. The Bible definitely says that being homosexual is a sin. Guess what, it also says that using the lord's name in vain is a sin, jealousy is a sin, and so many other things. And we all do something that God considers a sin every day. That's why Jesus died on the cross for us, so no matter what sins we are commiting, we can still go to heaven if we believe in and love Jesus.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Dec 23, 2004
Kaufman County, Texas
✟15,369.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Antoninus Verus said:
Why do many Christians believe that being gay or lesbian is a CHOICE, and that they can just choose not to be if they wanted to?
No one is born gay. Many studies have been done, but there is no proof that it is anything but a behavior. Research it yourself.

Upvote 0

psalms 91

Legend
Dec 27, 2004
✟127,276.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
jesus does save from all sins but remember that forgiveness is based on repentance. look it up, it means a turningaway from, a sincere desire to not do it again. god is love and he forgives all sin and we are not to judge but pray and let our example shine so the spirit can deal with the person. at the same time we cannot change gods word, if we do we decieve the individual and bring judgement upon ourselves

Upvote 0

Shy21

Dec 17, 2004
Visit site
✟9,359.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Single
I have a question. What about the Christians that dont wait till marriage to have sex? What's the difference between that and homosexuality? A hetero person is committing sin when he isnt marriage and havent sex. Whats the diff between that and a homo? All sin, right? Stop judging and let G-d be the judge please

Upvote 0

psychedelicist

aka the Akhashic Record Player
Aug 9, 2004
McKinney, Texas
✟18,251.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
In Relationship
morningstar2651 said:
I recommend the scientific studies which show that genetics affect (not cause) whether a person is gay or straight. We can do the whole psychological nature vs. nurture debate all you want -- most people will ignore the evidence if it doesn't match their beliefs.

A homosexual is someone who finds people of the same sex to be attractive and the opposite sex to not be attractive.

Of course you can choose who is attractive to you. What we grow up seeing as attractive is what we will find attractive, but the brain is easily powerful enough to change that imprint, wouldn't you say? Then again, I see no reason why a homosexual would want or need to change that imprint, if it makes him happy and harms no one else, then I say go for it.

Why aren't there more non-christian homosexuals? If someone doesn't have the guilt of sin and it were a choice why wouldn't they choose to be gay?
As for why I choose not to be gay, well, I don't know. I just never thought about turning gay in the first place, I was happy being straight. Perhaps I might try it sometime in the future, but right now, having a girlfriend, I don't think it would be the best time to experiment with that.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Dec 23, 2004
Kaufman County, Texas
✟15,369.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Shy21 said:
I have a question. What about the Christians that dont wait till marriage to have sex? What's the difference between that and homosexuality? A hetero person is committing sin when he isnt marriage and havent sex. Whats the diff between that and a homo? All sin, right? Stop judging and let G-d be the judge please
Homosexual acts and pre marital sex are both sins (and both are fornication). Homosexual acts isn't the only thing referred to as an abomination in the bible so I won't give an opinion as to it being worse than any other sin.

Upvote 0

Antoninus Verus

Dec 28, 2004
Californication
✟2,022.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
morningstar2651 said:

As for "going straight to hell" for being gay. Does Jesus save from all sins, or just some? This is something you should seriously consider before condemning people to Hell.
I agree 200% with this, especially the last statement.

As I said before, most gays will tell you that they did NOT choose to be gay, but accepted the fact that they were. What I dont get is, if being gay is a choice, and so many gay people struggle so hard with being gay, why would they choose to be gay?

Upvote 0

faerieevaH

lucky wife
Dec 27, 2003
USA
✟28,950.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In Catholicism 'being homosexual' is not considdered a sin, nor something that someone choses for. Homosexual acts however are considdered sinful. Not everyone believes homosexuality in itsself to be a choice, but what all christians say is that it IS a choice wether or not you give in to any sort of temptations: non sexual or sexual. And if sexual: heterosexual or homosexual.
Wether homosexuality in itsself is a choice or not, and in how much it is society determined is not something I would speculate on. I doubt most homosexuals CHOOSE to be homosexual, choose to be sexually atracted to members of the same sex. What all of them choose though is to fullfill their sexual desires.

Upvote 0