Nov 30, 2008
Pennsylvania
✟19,068.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Private
Hello all,

I have heard from those in the Anglican Communion that back in the 1530s when the Anglican Communion was formed, it was a case of the Roman Catholic church left the English Catholic church [aka Anglicans, Church of England], NOT Henry VIII causing the English church to leave the [Roman] Catholic church as I have always heard. Do any of you know what I am talking about? Could you refresh my memory about the first phrase? Thx

Philip_B

Bread is Blessed & Broken Wine is Blessed & Poured
Site Supporter
Jul 12, 2016
Swansea, NSW, Australia
Visit site
✟611,930.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Hi @Maid Marie so time back I did a presentation on Henry, and bprobably covers a lot of whatyou are talking/hinting at.

https://blackswantheology.files.wordpress.com/2018/08/henry_viii_u3a.pdf

Henry VIII's real issue with the Pope of secular authority, which was part of why he differed with Martin Luther, and got a result similar, but different. The character of Anglicanism as we have received it was probably formed mu seriously in the time of Elizabeth I and Matthew Parker.

Upvote 0

archer75

Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
USA
✟256,152.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I was about to start a thread about this, but maybe it fits here:

Is there any truth to the notion that the character of Anglicanism (as its own confession) has been formed, over these centuries, largely in response to the RCC - whether moving away from it in some respects or towards it?

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Hello all,

I have heard from those in the Anglican Communion that back in the 1530s when the Anglican Communion was formed, it was a case of the Roman Catholic church left the English Catholic church [aka Anglicans, Church of England], NOT Henry VIII causing the English church to leave the [Roman] Catholic church as I have always heard. Do any of you know what I am talking about? Could you refresh my memory about the first phrase? Thx
You are correct about the split. Until 1570, the Papacy kept scheming with the hope of bringing England back under Rome, but, with Queen Elizabeth solidifying her rule, that hope faded and the Pope responded by excommunicating Elizabeth (!)and by calling all English people who remained loyal to him to come out of the churches and form RC chapels. That might be considered as Rome breaking away from Canterbury.

By the way, the "Anglican Communion" is not a synonym for Anglican churches generally, but it is a federation of Anglican churches in communion with the Archbishop of Canterbury (although not always with each other), one per nation, and is of more recent origin. It represents about 70% of the world's Anglicans.

• Informative
Reactions: archer75
Upvote 0

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟347,427.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
You are correct about the split. Until 1570, the Papacy kept scheming with the hope of bringing England back under Rome, but, with Queen Elizabeth solidifying her rule, that hope faded and the Pope responded by excommunicating Elizabeth (!)and by calling all English people who remained loyal to him to come out of the churches and form RC chapels. That might be considered as Rome breaking away from Canterbury.

By the way, the "Anglican Communion" is not a synonym for Anglican churches generally, but it is a federation of Anglican churches in communion with the Archbishop of Canterbury (although not always with each other), one per nation, and is of more recent origin. It represents about 70% of the world's Anglicans.
I didn't realize the Continuing groups had that many people.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
There are more independent Anglican jurisdictions around the world, Archangl, which are not, properly speaking, Continuing Anglicans.

Examples are the Church of England in South Africa (the original Anglican jurisdiction in SA) and the Anglican Church in North America, which gets talked about from time to time on these forums.

Upvote 0

Shropshire Anglican

Nov 18, 2018
Shrewsbury
✟31,494.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Conservative
There are numerous reason for the break with Rome, and not only due to Henry VIII wanting a divorce or more power. The Reformation had a big impact on Europe and there were many agitating for reformation of the English church at the time. It's fair to say that by 1580-1590 the English Reformation was firmly in place.

Upvote 0