✟21,764.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Bloc
hello...

30I and the Father are one." 31Again the Jews picked up stones to stone him, 32but Jesus said to them, "I have shown you many great miracles from the Father. For which of these do you stone me?"
33"We are not stoning you for any of these," replied the Jews, "but for blasphemy, because you, a mere man, claim to be God."
34Jesus answered them, "Is it not written in your Law, 'I have said you are gods? 35If he called them 'gods,' to whom the word of God came—and the Scripture cannot be broken— 36what about the one whom the Father set apart as his very own and sent into the world? Why then do you accuse me of blasphemy because I said, 'I am God's Son'? 37Do not believe me unless I do what my Father does. 38But if I do it, even though you do not believe me, believe the miracles, that you may know and understand that the Father is in me, and I in the Father." 39Again they tried to seize him, but he escaped their grasp.

i guess my question is, is why did Jesus quote Psalm 82:6, which says "I have said, you are Gods."

like idk.. it seems as if jesus is saying that he's NOT God for some reason. like it almost seems as if he's just merely claiming to be what anyone can be, as psalm 82 says.

thoughts?

TrevorL

Aug 20, 2004
Lake Macquarie NSW
✟56,943.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Greetings kjf512,
i guess my question is, is why did Jesus quote Psalm 82:6, which says "I have said, you are Gods."
The language is a little obscure, but it is speaking of the appointed judges in Israel who were called "Elohim" because they represented God. They had received the word of God and were appointed to administer this word or laws without partiality to the rich and influential. Jesus is also speaking of his own role of speaking and acting on God's behalf.

Kind regards
Trevor

Upvote 0

Beasley

Jul 8, 2006
✟8,366.00
Faith
Protestant
The Jews fully recognized that Christ was claiming to be God. That is why they were going to stone him.

God said to Moses, " I AM WHO I AM"; and He said, "Thus you shall say to the sons of Israel, 'I AM has sent me to you.'" Ex 3:14

58Jesus said to them, "Truly, truly, I say to you, before Abraham was born, I am."
59Therefore they picked up stones to throw at Him, but Jesus hid Himself and went out of the temple. John 8

You might want to review all the other I AM passages.

Upvote 0

tqpix

Deist
Apr 18, 2004
Vancouver
✟16,046.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Greetings kjf512, The language is a little obscure, but it is speaking of the appointed judges in Israel who were called "Elohim" because they represented God. They had received the word of God and were appointed to administer this word or laws without partiality to the rich and influential. Jesus is also speaking of his own role of speaking and acting on God's behalf.

Kind regards
Trevor
The Hebrew word translated as "poor" in the Psalm 82 means weak or thin; it does not refer to a person with no money.

Upvote 0

TrevorL

Aug 20, 2004
Lake Macquarie NSW
✟56,943.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Greetings tqpix,
The Hebrew word translated as "poor" in the Psalm 82 means weak or thin; it does not refer to a person with no money.
The following quotations clarify the responsibility of the judges, and also highlight the failure of the unjust judges of Psalm 82.

2 Chronicles 19:6 (KJV): "And said to the judges, Take heed what ye do: for ye judge not for man, but for the LORD, who is with you in the judgment."
Deuteronomy 1:16-17 (KJV): "16 And I charged your judges at that time, saying, Hear the causes between your brethren, and judge righteously between every man and his brother, and the stranger that is with him. 17 Ye shall not respect persons in judgment; but ye shall hear the small as well as the great; ye shall not be afraid of the face of man; for the judgment is God’s: and the cause that is too hard for you, bring it unto me, and I will hear it."

Kind regards
Trevor

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.