joyousliving

-*-*-*-*-
Sep 13, 2004
✟16,033.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Not all fasting is about giving up food.

Sometimes people fast and drink juice.

Sometimes people give up something else that they find is too prominent in their lives. (talking online, tv, etc)

I highly recommend that you read a book called "A Hunger for God" by John Piper. The book does a good job of explaining why we fast and how to do it.

The basic idea of fasting is that we want to give up a gift that God gives us (food) and spend that time with God. It is about wanting to hunger after Him more than the worldly gifts He graciously gives us.

Upvote 0

Soc12

Dec 20, 2004
✟7,691.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Republican
I think fasting is a stupid thing to do. A lot of people do it because they say it makes them concentrate on God more. Can you not eat and talk to God at the same time? Fasting can be very dangerous to your health. My bible study teacher said that he was fasting and then at the end of the fast went on a run. That is so dangerous, he could have easily passed out and been hurt badly.

Upvote 0

mythrainbow

Oct 26, 2004
Tillamook, OR
✟16,223.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Green
But He answered and said, "It is written, 'Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceeds from the mouth of God.' "-Matthew 4:4

But the days will come when the bridegroom will be taken away from them, and then they will fast in those days.-Mattew 2:20

Soc12 said:
I think fasting is a stupid thing to do. A lot of people do it because they say it makes them concentrate on God more. Can you not eat and talk to God at the same time? Fasting can be very dangerous to your health. My bible study teacher said that he was fasting and then at the end of the fast went on a run. That is so dangerous, he could have easily passed out and been hurt badly.

After more modern research I've read that it as not as dangerous as previously thought. The human body can have the ability to go as long as 70+ days before death if there is water, Jesus fast in the desert was 40 days. Fasting is used in many natural health practices for cleansing, detox, and other reasons.
I've fasted when I've had to work and I walk for 8-12 hrs for work as a security guard, I did not feel any loss of energy or lightheadedness.
If it was a stupid idea as you say would Jesus have commanded it to His disciples?
And I did concentrate on God more, this is what allows one to fast succesfully, you give up fleshly desires, whether all food, a type of food, tv, internet, and whatever else you can deny your flesh, so you can allow God to fill you with His Word.
I've given up just a type of food before, but nothing compares to giving up all food and only drinking water.
Well I pray that God will give you more understanding and wisdom. And I hope you can one day share the experience of fasting for God.
May the Peace of Christ be with you.

Upvote 0

Iron Lion

Veteran
Feb 18, 2004
✟2,649.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
Soc12 said:

Sounds like you following your opinion and not what the bible teaches

Upvote 0

JWBZ SVT

Jan 5, 2005
Mississippi
✟8,056.00
Faith
Christian
I fasted 3 days before and received protection from God. The night I started my fast was immediately after Church. I was praying for my ex fling, Brandy. About two weeks after the fast, she and her husband were going through a pretty heated divorce. We started kissing but we stopped (thankfully). Two months later she called and told me that news that she was pregnant. She had been with a guy other than her husband the night before we kissed. I believe God granted me protection from this.

Yes, when you fast, you soon realize that food and water are your two strongest urges. When I fasted, I was able to praise God more beautifully.

I am going through a heart break and I am praying about starting a fast to draw closer to Him.

Upvote 0