Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I learned about something last night for the first time. We are familiar with Yahweh, god of the Israelites, Chemosh, god of the Moabites, Milcom, god of the Ammonites, Asherah, goddess of the Sidonians, but little do we know about the god of the Edomites: Qōs. One reason we are not familiar with Qōs is that he is never mentioned at all in the biblical accounts except in the personal name of a man named Barqōs ("son of Qōs) in Ezra 2:53 and Nehemiah 7:55, an alternative to Benaiah which means "son of Yah". But based on the material record we currently do have and some written information outside the scriptures, Qōs was the Idumean structural parallel to Yahweh. They were almost identical. He had his own class of priests as well. It is believed that the name 'Qōs' means bow, and this probably refers to his role as a war deity. It may be of no coincidence if the ancestor of the Edomites was declared in Genesis 25:27 "a skillful hunter, a man of the field".

Herod the Great was of Edomite lineage, but interestingly, an associate and brother-in-law of his, Costobarus I's personal name means "Qōs is mighty", suggesting that Qōs was still recognized during the first century. It may be that the Edomites and Israelites had two different names for the same god post-exile (thus Herod's temple in Jerusalem).

Ironically, they say that Qōs has been identified with Quzah, a pre-Islamic god of weather, and may have been introduced into northern Arabian pantheon, which may have been one of the deities Muhammad despised as pagan. If true, the irony of its historical background up to its rejection by a monotheist group is funny.

I'm really curious about this god, and wonder if any of you know about this? I would be happy to learn more tbh.

• Informative
Reactions: Andrewn

Andrewn

CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2019
-
✟681,411.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Ironically, they say that Qōs has been identified with Quzah, a pre-Islamic god of weather, and may have been introduced into northern Arabian pantheon, which may have been one of the deities Muhammad despised as pagan. If true, the irony of its historical background up to its rejection by a monotheist group is funny.
Interesting topic. I did a quick Google search and found that Quzah was worshipped in an area near Mecca. But Qos continued to be worshipped by the Nabateans in the north (modern Jordan). There was also a god called al-Qais, worshipped in the Kindite Kingdom in Arabia (450-550 AD). Some scholars think that the worship of Yahweh originated among the Kenites.

Kenite_hypothesis

Is it possible that the worship of Qos has continued for > 2000 years?

• Informative
Reactions: Jonaitis
Upvote 0

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟123,751.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Interesting topic. I did a quick Google search and found that Quzah was worshipped in an area near Mecca. But Qos continued to be worshipped by the Nabateans in the north (modern Jordan). There was also a god called al-Qais, worshipped in the Kindite Kingdom in Arabia (450-550 AD). Some scholars think that the worship of Yahweh originated among the Kenites.

Kenite_hypothesis

Is it possible that the worship of Qos has continued for > 2000 years?
That is very interesting. I wonder what connection that has with the Shasu? Perhaps a proto-Israelite people?

Jonaitis
Jonaitis
I wonder what the connection of Ishmael and Edom being the older siblings of Isaac and Jacob imply? I have a strong feeling that there are significant historical elements underlying the characters in these stories. An almost forgotten oral story of Israel's progenitors.
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟123,751.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
It seems hard to find any more information about Qos, likely due to his elusive nature.

Here's a video I found on Youtube. He brings up a lot of great points from scripture about the Edomites.

• Informative
Upvote 0

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟123,751.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Now, I am revisiting verses that discuss anything remotely about Edom:

Obed-Edom, whose name means "Servant of Edom", was a Gittite, a native of Gath of the Philistines. I wonder why he was blessed when the ark of god was in his house? Was he a worshipper of Qos, whom the Israelites identify as Yahweh?
And David was unwilling to move the ark of Yahweh into the city of David with him; but David took it aside to the house of Obed-edom the Gittite. Thus the ark of Yahweh remained in the house of Obed-edom the Gittite three months, and Yahweh blessed Obed-edom and all his household. Then it was told to King David, saying, “Yahweh has blessed the house of Obed-edom and all that belongs to him, on account of the ark of God.” So David went and brought up the ark of God from the house of Obed-edom into the city of David with gladness.
- 2 Samuel 6:10-12 Legacy Standard Bible

Edom lies in the land of Uz, as in the setting for Job 1:1?
"Rejoice and be glad, O daughter of Edom, who inhabits the land of Uz; But the cup will pass on to you as well; you will become drunk and make yourself naked."
- Lamentations 4:21 Legacy Standard Bible
I'm now wondering why Israel is not mentioned in the book of Job. It may be that Job was possibly connected to Edom, and Yahweh is the rendition of Qos in this poetic discourse?

“In that day I will raise up the fallen booth of David and wall up its breaches; I will also raise up its ruins and rebuild it as in the ancient days, that they may possess the remnant of Edom and all the nations who are called by My name,” declares Yahweh who does this.
- Amos 9:11-12 Legacy Standard Bible
All the nations who are called by "My name"?

I know that what I am presenting is merely conjecture, but fun regardless.

Upvote 0

Andrewn

CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2019
-
✟681,411.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I wonder what connection that has with the Shasu? Perhaps a proto-Israelite people?
The Shasu are another mystery. They seem to be related to the Midianites, Kenites, and Edomites. Also, note that the Midianites are Ishmaelites.

Judges 8:22 Then the Israelites said to Gideon, “Rule over us, you and your son and your grandson also, for you have delivered us out of the hand of Midian.” 24 Then Gideon said to them, “Let me make a request of you; each of you give me an earring he has taken as spoil.” (For the enemy had golden earrings because they were Ishmaelites.)

In the story of Baal Peor, the Midianites appear to be related to the Moabites. Is there an error in the text at that point?

The following article is long but it contains interesting information:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Andrewn

CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2019
-
✟681,411.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Last edited:
  • Informative
Upvote 0

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟123,751.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
The Shasu are another mystery. They seem to be related to the Midianites, Kenites, and Edomites. Also, note that the Midianites are Ishmaelites.
True, I wonder if Midianite is a catch-all-phrase for different bedouin groups, because we also read that the Ishmaelites and Edomites were also interrelated.
Judges 8:22 Then the Israelites said to Gideon, “Rule over us, you and your son and your grandson also, for you have delivered us out of the hand of Midian.” 24 Then Gideon said to them, “Let me make a request of you; each of you give me an earring he has taken as spoil.” (For the enemy had golden earrings because they were Ishmaelites.)

In the story of Baal Peor, the Midianites appear to be related to the Moabites. Is there an error in the text at that point?
Is this in reference to Numbers 25:1? I'm trying to find that.
The following article is long but it contains interesting information:

This is interesting information. I would never have thought of ywh as being both a toponym and a theonym, but as the article shows, this wasn't uncommon (like Athens is named after the goddess Athena). But connecting the name with the Arab for 'passion' along with Exodus 34:14 is intriguing. As it suggests, the name (as well as the biblical narrative overall) may infer a unique name designating a monolatry belief within a tribal group. In other words, YHWH is the one who should be loved by the people of whom he is designated. This falls in line with the fact that this is a covenant name as well. What a connection! If Baal of Peor was not necessarily an idol, then this may imply that Israel was not to worship any god other than the one familiar to the nation itself, even if they share the same qualities ("you have your people, and I have mine; you have your god, and I have mine).

Upvote 0

Andrewn

CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2019
-
✟681,411.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
True, I wonder if Midianite is a catch-all-phrase for different bedouin groups, because we also read that the Ishmaelites and Edomites were also interrelated.
This is exactly what I think, they seem to have been like gypsies living among the more settled populations. The funny thing is that for a long time, I accepted the theory that they were inhabitants of the east shore of the Gulf of Aqaba, northwest Arabian Peninsula. I don't give this theory much credence any longer.

Is this in reference to Numbers 25:1? I'm trying to find that.
Yes, in Num. 25, we find the Israelites committing debauchery with the daughters of Moab. Then in v. 6, we read about a man bringing a Midianite woman into his family. This is either a textual error, or the Midianite woman was living among the Moabites.

But connecting the name with the Arab for 'passion' along with Exodus 34:14 is intriguing. As it suggests, the name (as well as the biblical narrative overall) may infer a unique name designating a monolatry belief within a tribal group. In other words, YHWH is the one who should be loved by the people of whom he is designated. This falls in line with the fact that this is a covenant name as well. What a connection!
This theory is absolutely fascinating. If true, it implies that Yahweh is really the God of the Ishmaelites/Midianites. Interesting thing is that the official name of modern Jordan is Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan. The word hashemite is obviously derived from ha-Shem, a word that Rabbinic Jews use to refer to Yahweh..

If Baal of Peor was not necessarily an idol, then this may imply that Israel was not to worship any god other than the one familiar to the nation itself, even if they share the same qualities ("you have your people, and I have mine; you have your god, and I have mine).
True. Many scholars describe the early Israelite religion as henotheism rather than monotheism. But we find true monotheism in Isaiah and the other prophets.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Mosheli

Jul 1, 2020
Wellington
✟40,682.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I'm curious about this connection. Explain more, please.

Its just a theory based on the idea that the gods derive from the preflood and postflood patriarchs.
Cush is found in various pantheons like Hittite/Hurrian (Kusuh/Kasku), Sumerian (Kus), Arab (Qos), Egyptian (Khuns), Edomite (Kaush), etc.
Qos is identified with an outcrop of black basalt, and Cush means "black".

Upvote 0

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟123,751.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Its just a theory based on the idea that the gods derive from the preflood and postflood patriarchs.
Cush is found in various pantheons like Hittite/Hurrian (Kusuh/Kasku), Sumerian (Kus), Arab (Qos), Egyptian (Khuns), Edomite (Kaush), etc.
Qos is identified with an outcrop of black basalt, and Cush means "black".
I certainly can see that as a plausible answer.

If I am not mistaken, there are two regions that were named Cush? Wasn't the Western part of Arabia in connection to the other?

Reactions: Mosheli
Upvote 0

YetiBigfoot

Jun 21, 2023
Southwest
✟301.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I learned about something last night for the first time. We are familiar with Yahweh, god of the Israelites, Chemosh, god of the Moabites, Milcom, god of the Ammonites, Asherah, goddess of the Sidonians, but little do we know about the god of the Edomites: Qōs. One reason we are not familiar with Qōs is that he is never mentioned at all in the biblical accounts except in the personal name of a man named Barqōs ("son of Qōs) in Ezra 2:53 and Nehemiah 7:55, an alternative to Benaiah which means "son of Yah". But based on the material record we currently do have and some written information outside the scriptures, Qōs was the Idumean structural parallel to Yahweh. They were almost identical. He had his own class of priests as well. It is believed that the name 'Qōs' means bow, and this probably refers to his role as a war deity. It may be of no coincidence if the ancestor of the Edomites was declared in Genesis 25:27 "a skillful hunter, a man of the field".

Herod the Great was of Edomite lineage, but interestingly, an associate and brother-in-law of his, Costobarus I's personal name means "Qōs is mighty", suggesting that Qōs was still recognized during the first century. It may be that the Edomites and Israelites had two different names for the same god post-exile (thus Herod's temple in Jerusalem).

I'm really curious about this god, and wonder if any of you know about this? I would be happy to learn more tbh.
He seems to go under the likeness of Nimrod. Most pagan religions start with he and Ishtar. If you search it out.. they all seem to lead back to him. I'm figuring this is why he is known as "a mighty hunter before the lord". He hunts for the souls of men. He wants to be worshiped like God.. kinda like the antichrist. All very interesting!

Upvote 0