Antioch
✟38,887.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Throughout the New Testament, followers of Christ are instructed to put off certain actions or attitudes and to put on others. Those actions or attitudes we are to put off are from our old sinful nature, from our flesh and its way of doing things. Those we are to put on are from our new spiritual nature, by the Holy Spirit within us, done by faith in, and obedience to God, and by his power, not ours.

Those attributes are not to be confused with the fruit of the Spirit, found in Galatians 5:22-23, nor with the gifts of the Spirit, found primarily in 1 Corinthians 12-14. Those are important as well, and in some cases, may overlap, but that is not what I’m talking about here.

The put-off, put-on process is not a self-help checklist. It is not striving to modify your behavior to somehow make it acceptable. It involves submission to Jesus Christ by faith, operating in his power, and deliberate obedience to his direction. The word of God is clear about our part in growing in our salvation. It is not a legalistic, works-based earning God’s favor, which is impossible, but we must walk in obedience to the Lord as followers of Christ.

This obedience involves changes at the heart level. I don’t just stop stealing, I become one who works and gives to others (see Ephesians 4:28). I don’t just stop lying, I become a truth-teller (see Ephesians 4:25). Just stopping something with nothing to replace the old way is a thief between jobs, or an addict between fixes. Something must be put on to replace it – something God has directed to be added or refined in your life. One key in this process is to focus on the put-on rather than the put-off. For instance, I focus on telling the truth every time with no shades, rather than not telling lies. Thomas Chalmers spoke of this when he talked about the “expulsive power of a new affection”. Speaking from experience, I know this is true!

New Bible Study
I would like to begin a study of the various put-offs/put-ons in the New Testament and see what they mean and how they can be implemented in our lives. I began this process several months ago and then set it aside when we got busy with our move, but it really made a difference in my life. I would like to choose a put-on word, try to define it, and then share whatever God has given me so far on that and how it is being implemented in my life.

I am hoping others will join me in this process and help us along with scriptures, quotes, and other thoughts that might be helpful. I don’t want to get into theology or arguments or a bunch of theories, but to share how God is teaching us to put on these actions and attitudes in our lives and how that is working.

These changes must be done in the power of the Holy Spirit or it will just be trying harder. After a time we can introduce another put-on.

I’d like to start in Colossians 3:12-17. This passage is filled with important put-ons. Verse 12 says:

Put on then, as God's chosen ones, holy and beloved, compassionate hearts, kindness, humility, meekness, and patience,

The first put-on is a compassionate heart.
What is compassion? What is a compassionate heart? What does that look like in everyday life in practical actions and attitudes? I have asked God to show me in my own life how I can do this through him, and have given it some thought in relation to my life and marriage:

1. Compassion – being aware of and sympathetic to what someone else is going through – this means I take the focus off myself and my feelings and gently and honestly try to understand what someone else is going through, possibly helping them if I can

2. A compassionate heart is one that has been developed by exercising compassion for others over time

3. In my life, as one recovering from sexual addiction, compassion is not automatic, so my heart is not a compassionate one, but a selfish one learning to be compassionate with Jesus’ love and comfort. I do this okay for a few days and then blow it, but God is teaching me to be compassionate in these ways:

a. Care about the pain I caused my wife and what she is going through because of my old lifestyle. Listen to what she says, don’t interrupt, let her say all she needs to say, and try to put myself into her shoes instead of being defensive. This has helped a lot!

b. Care about others I have hurt by my sinful lifestyle of the past and the pain and damage to them instead of blaming others for my sins.

c. Care about my children and the shame and embarrassment they feel because of my past, and about their hurt and sense of betrayal. Give them some slack as they deal with all this, and all that means to their own lives.

d. Care about others who have sexual addiction or who were victims of them and share how God is taking me out of that darkness and into his light and freedom in Christ.

e. Care about others who are dying without Christ and going to hell.

Please comment and/or share how God has taught you or is teaching you in this specific area of putting on a compassionate heart. We need to be practical but gentle about how we share this.

PeaceJoyLove

Apr 9, 2017
Nova Scotia
✟74,422.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
There is a vast distinction between loving and being love. To have to take thought to love is coming from 'self', though it is not out of order in the process taking place within...this journey of soul (we lose to find it (again) in HIM)..."To love others as you love your self" leads us to forsaking of our own soul. For it is not about the ability of others to return it (as in something in return/gain...love for love, deserving of it), but to freely give it...

He who has been forgiven much loves much...he who is forgiven little loves, little. How we 'see'/perceive is key...We all have the same Father, God who fills all in all. Jesus Christ asked His father to forgive those who crucified Him "for they know not what they do", though they were literally fulfilling the Father's will just the same...

For God all things are possible is the same as saying, if your eye be single...or to be made blind to 'see'...

Upvote 0

sunestauromai

Site Supporter
Feb 7, 2010
Antioch
✟38,887.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There is a vast distinction between loving and being love. To have to take thought to love is coming from 'self', though it is not out of order in the process taking place within...this journey of soul (we lose to find it (again) in HIM)..."To love others as you love your self" leads us to forsaking of our own soul. For it is not about the ability of others to return it (as in something in return/gain...love for love, deserving of it), but to freely give it...

He who has been forgiven much loves much...he who is forgiven little loves, little. How we 'see'/perceive is key...We all have the same Father, God who fills all in all. Jesus Christ asked His father to forgive those who crucified Him "for they know not what they do", though they were literally fulfilling the Father's will just the same...

For God all things are possible is the same as saying, if your eye be single...or to be made blind to 'see'...
Thanks for your reply PeaceJoyLove. I must confess you lost me early on as far as how it relates to putting on compassion or other attributes, which was the topic. If you would please explain more clearly what you were trying to say I might be able to catch up. Thanks!

Upvote 0

PeaceJoyLove

Apr 9, 2017
Nova Scotia
✟74,422.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Thanks for your reply PeaceJoyLove. I must confess you lost me early on as far as how it relates to putting on compassion or other attributes, which was the topic. If you would please explain more clearly what you were trying to say I might be able to catch up. Thanks!
You made a list of reasons to love...and call it a "putting on"...the spirit lives within our being (one Father and God of us all who fills all in all) and that LOVE of God comes from within. Our journey of soul/process taking place within is a revealing of THAT love...that is able to love impartially, just as HE loves us all. For no reason or thought attached...though for a time, we perceive it to be this way with a striving to love and show compassion.

A compassionate heart is one that has been developed by exercising compassion for others over time
I have found we can enter into His love as far as we are willing to go...that it comes from a pure heart...no strings attached...no striving and straining to do it... as it flows from the very spirit that dwells within...

When we perceive Christ as something separate/outside of our being, we labour to 'be', perceiving lack, trying to add to our stature. When we can 'see' as HE does, we can LOVE as HE loves us... impartially. No need for a list of reasons or labour to accomplish that which flows freely like a river from deep within our very being...

Upvote 0

Deadworm

May 26, 2016
Colville, WA 99114
✟68,313.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
'I’d like to start in Colossians 3:12-17. This passage is filled with important put-ons. Verse 12 says: Put on then, as God's chosen ones, holy and beloved, compassionate hearts...The first put-on is a compassionate heart.
What is compassion? What is a compassionate heart? What does that look like in everyday life in practical actions and attitudes?"

"A compassionate heart is one that has been developed by exercising compassion for others over time...my heart is not a compassionate one, but a selfish one learning to be compassionate with Jesus’ love and comfort. I do this okay for a few days and then blow it..."

Yet Paul says, "Love never ends (1 Corinthians 13:8)." What concept of love might help me overcome my sporadic experience and application of it? The permanence of love implies that it is akin a permanent mood that, through holy habit, has become a part of my core personality--a psychological place I come from, not a heroic breakthrough of my selfish preferences.

One key to this put-on love or compassion is implied in a more literal translation of your text: "Clothe yourselves with bowels of compassion (Colossians 3:12)." "Compassion" literally means "your pain in my heart." The starting point for a compassionate heart is developing a new way of perceiving in which I begin by tuning in to your hurt. This means that my love must be visceral; I must love you from the gut, not just from the heart. This empathic mode of perception must become a holy habit.

A second key to this put-on love is implied in 1 Corinthians 13:7-8: "Love bears all things (= empathy), believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. Love never fails." I resist Paul's apparent implication that love is gullible and naïve. Nobody pulls the wool over my eyes! Ah, but this excuse stifles another holy habit essential to compassion. I must perceive others, even those who are hard to love, from the perspective of their hidden potential, the masterpiece that they might yet become by God's grace: "For we are His masterpiece, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand to be our way of life (Ephesians 2:9)." This naïve type of perception must become a holy habit, a part of my core personality.

"These changes must be done in the power of the Holy Spirit or it will just be trying harder."

True, but how can a holy habit of compassion become a fruit of the Spirit rather than just a doomed effort to promote a robust self-image? Romans 13:14 hints at the answer: "Put on the Lord Jesus Christ and make no provision for the flesh, to gratify its desires." One of my desires is to collect applause in my mind for putting up with clueless people, who live an unexamined life and often fail to think before they speak or act. What I need to remind myself of is this: Love can never be authentic without feeling and showing profound respect. As Paul puts it in the context of 13:14:
"Let love be genuine...Outdo one another in showing respect (Romans 12:9-10)."

Upvote 0

sunestauromai

Site Supporter
Feb 7, 2010
Antioch
✟38,887.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You made a list of reasons to love...and call it a "putting on"...the spirit lives within our being (one Father and God of us all who fills all in all) and that LOVE of God comes from within. Our journey of soul/process taking place within is a revealing of THAT love...that is able to love impartially, just as HE loves us all. For no reason or thought attached...though for a time, we perceive it to be this way with a striving to love and show compassion.

I have found we can enter into His love as far as we are willing to go...that it comes from a pure heart...no strings attached...no striving and straining to do it... as it flows from the very spirit that dwells within...

When we perceive Christ as something separate/outside of our being, we labour to 'be', perceiving lack, trying to add to our stature. When we can 'see' as HE does, we can LOVE as HE loves us... impartially. No need for a list of reasons or labour to accomplish that which flows freely like a river from deep within our very being...
Thanks, that was helpful. I do know that as I draw closer to the Lord and submit to his direction in my life that more of him and less of me will come out - that plus knowing him more deeply is a big desire of my heart. I also know that my lifetime of selfishness and living by my flesh has formed sinful habits that haven't fallen away completely, especially in dealing with honesty. While any real heart change must come through the Spirit, the practical lessons in the New Testament about put-offs and put-ons help me focus on areas where God wants to change me. Thanks for your thoughtful post.

Reactions: PeaceJoyLove
Upvote 0

sunestauromai

Site Supporter
Feb 7, 2010
Antioch
✟38,887.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
"Just stopping" whatever given sin is a lot and means a lot, just in itself.

You have something of a point but the scripture reads, "Though shalt not"...period. Nothing there about replacing anything with anything.
I agree that stopping can be huge - I struggled for years trying to stop my sexual addiction, and the sense of change God has done in my life there is huge. But one of the problems that happened was I didn't replace those old habits with anything.

Yes, the OT especially tells us, "Thou shalt not...", but in the NT, many of the sinful practices to put off are paired with right practices to put on nearby in those passages. For me, the better solution has been to put on the new even if the old isn't eradicated, and that new affection is helping drive the ship in a different direction as God is doing the changes and the driving.

• Agree
Reactions: Kenny'sID
Upvote 0

sunestauromai

Site Supporter
Feb 7, 2010
Antioch
✟38,887.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
'I’d like to start in Colossians 3:12-17. This passage is filled with important put-ons. Verse 12 says: Put on then, as God's chosen ones, holy and beloved, compassionate hearts...The first put-on is a compassionate heart.
What is compassion? What is a compassionate heart? What does that look like in everyday life in practical actions and attitudes?"

"A compassionate heart is one that has been developed by exercising compassion for others over time...my heart is not a compassionate one, but a selfish one learning to be compassionate with Jesus’ love and comfort. I do this okay for a few days and then blow it..."

Yet Paul says, "Love never ends (1 Corinthians 13:8)." What concept of love might help me overcome my sporadic experience and application of it? The permanence of love implies that it is akin a permanent mood that, through holy habit, has become a part of my core personality--a psychological place I come from, not a heroic breakthrough of my selfish preferences.

One key to this put-on love or compassion is implied in a more literal translation of your text: "Clothe yourselves with bowels of compassion (Colossians 3:12)." "Compassion" literally means "your pain in my heart." The starting point for a compassionate heart is developing a new way of perceiving in which I begin by tuning in to your hurt. This means that my love must be visceral; I must love you from the gut, not just from the heart. This empathic mode of perception must become a holy habit.

A second key to this put-on love is implied in 1 Corinthians 13:7-8: "Love bears all things (= empathy), believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. Love never fails." I resist Paul's apparent implication that love is gullible and naïve. Nobody pulls the wool over my eyes! Ah, but this excuse stifles another holy habit essential to compassion. I must perceive others, even those who are hard to love, from the perspective of their hidden potential, the masterpiece that they might yet become by God's grace: "For we are His masterpiece, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand to be our way of life (Ephesians 2:9)." This naïve type of perception must become a holy habit, a part of my core personality.

"These changes must be done in the power of the Holy Spirit or it will just be trying harder."

True, but how can a holy habit of compassion become a fruit of the Spirit rather than just a doomed effort to promote a robust self-image? Romans 13:14 hints at the answer: "Put on the Lord Jesus Christ and make no provision for the flesh, to gratify its desires." One of my desires is to collect applause in my mind for putting up with clueless people, who live an unexamined life and often fail to think before they speak or act. What I need to remind myself of is this: Love can never be authentic without feeling and showing profound respect. As Paul puts it in the context of 13:14:
"Let love be genuine...Outdo one another in showing respect (Romans 12:9-10)."

Thanks, I appreciate your many good points and clarifications.

As far as love coming from the bowels rather than the heart, I'm okay with the latter, but your point is good. Certainly compassion not coming from either of those places is not all that helpful to the one who needs it. It is a habit I am learning as I obey the Spirit and think of others and their needs and point of view rather than always thinking about me.

I'd like to add on the subject of love that the divine love of God does not need to see some even small potential of good or value in us to operate - it was fully dependent up on God himself and his character and his choice to love us while we were sinners and even his enemies. If that is his example of how to love, then our love, as you said, must come from within us (the Spirit within) and must operate with doing what is right and best for the one being loved regardless of their situation or how they have treated us or what they've done.

Regarding your last point, I'm finding that the better I understand who I am apart from Christ, the less I can look down on anyone else, regardless of their situation. And the more I put on Christ, the better the results of putting on those things that he instructs us to in his power.

Upvote 0