May 28, 2002
Canberra, Australia
Visit site
✟29,118.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
AU-Labor
Pure metaphysical claims are those claims that do not have a grounding in the world we can detect.

For example, 'Hell exists and all non-Christians will end up there after death,' is a pure metaphysical claim.

The question I am interested in is this: by what methodology do we evaluate the truth or otherwise of pure metaphysical claims?

For example, imagine these two claims sitting side by side:

'Hell exists and all non-Christians will end up there after death.'

'Hell exists and all non-Moslems will end up there after death.'

Imagine that one of these claims is true.

How do I tell which one it is?

Alencon

Senior Veteran
Apr 20, 2004
Visit site
✟10,600.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Define what you mean by "TRUE."

Are you looking for objective or absolute "TRUE?" If so, the answer is there is no such thing.

Or are you looking for subjective or relative "TRUE?" In which case "TRUE" is in the eye of the beholder and for some Christians, but by no means all, the first is "TRUE" while for some Muslims, but by no means all, the second is "TRUE."

And for the rest of us, neither is "TRUE." ;)

Upvote 0

SNPete

Psalm 53:1
Jul 20, 2005
Sierra Nevada Mountains
✟1,319.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
David Gould said:
Pure metaphysical claims are those claims that do not have a grounding in the world we can detect.

For example, 'Hell exists and all non-Christians will end up there after death,' is a pure metaphysical claim.

The question I am interested in is this: by what methodology do we evaluate the truth or otherwise of pure metaphysical claims?

My question is: do you care or is this one of those atheistic threads where you seek to justify your belief system?

Do you care if there is a God? Or is your point this God stuff is bunk and "I want to demonstate" it by showing how illogical religion is. Well I wish you luck. Have fun. Truth is, that which we believe does not change reality.

If God does exist, all of your arguements will not change that fact.

A point to ponder.

Upvote 0

qh93536

Jan 3, 2006
✟980.00
Faith
Baptist
David Gould said:

Here is some truth for you: Not all non-christians will end up in Hell. That is a rediculous statement made by those who do not know God. If Horitio Fujitso, in Japan has grown up as a Buhdist and has never been told about Jesus in a responsible and convincing manner, he will be saved.

Upvote 0

JoeSaebi

Isaiah 53:5
Feb 21, 2005
Denver
✟11,050.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
David Gould said:

Try prayer, and try listening to God (prayer goes two ways). Someday you might try it David, especially if it involves your family; children especially.

Upvote 0

Danhalen

Healing
Feb 13, 2005
Ohio
✟18,099.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
SNPete said:

A point to ponder.
If God does not, all of your beliefs will not change that.

A point for you to ponder.

So, how do you know all Christians are not going to end up in Islam's hell?

Upvote 0

Willtor

Not just any Willtor... The Mighty Willtor
Apr 23, 2005
Cambridge
Visit site
✟32,287.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
David Gould said:

Propositions. These are meaningless because I don't even know what Hell is, from the context. I know what a Christian is (I think), and I have some idea of what a Muslim is (I think). What is Hell? Am I trying to get there? Am I trying to avoid it? Does it matter? Am I still dead when I get there?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Janus

I smolder with generic rage
Dec 11, 2003
Montreal, Canada
✟16,181.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
David Gould said:
I hate postmodernism ...

I'll second that. Post-modernists have no business being on an apologetics forum.

Anyway, so far the answers amount to the same old mystical babble. You've been asked a simple question, guys. If you have an answer that isn't based on circular reasoning, we'd like to hear it.

Upvote 0

quatona

"God"? What do you mean??
May 15, 2005
✟175,292.00
Faith
Seeker
SNPete said:
My question is: do you care or is this one of those atheistic threads where you seek to justify your belief system?
Is that, you don´t have an answer to the question asked? ;)

Do you care if there is a God? Or is your point this God stuff is bunk and "I want to demonstate" it by showing how illogical religion is.
The OP asks a valid and objective question. Insinuating intentions does not count as an answer.

Truth is, that which we believe does not change reality.
Be that as it may - I don´t see how that is an argument for your belief.

Interestingly that works the other way round as well.
I guess that´s why people ask questions like the one David Gould asked.

A point to ponder.
To tell from your response, you seem strangely disinterested in doing so.

Upvote 0

Cleany

"I desire mercy, not sacrifice&am
Aug 2, 2005
Berkshire
✟9,292.00
Faith
Marital Status
Single
David Gould said:
pure speculation.

it is the area of philosophy and a defence against materialism - but its not really that important.

David Gould said:
I hate postmodernism ...
its just awareness thats all.

Upvote 0

Troof

Dec 21, 2005
✟374.00
Faith
Atheist
Nice try David Gould, but as you can see Christians will not actually consider the question you ask them. This is because being a Christian means not thinking about such things, but accepting that what the Bible or the Pope or your preist says without question.

For what its worth both your propositions are false!
There is no Hell for Christians, Muslims or anyone else!

Upvote 0

Patzak

Sep 9, 2005
✟15,722.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
No difference between any such statements, except that "hell" has a longer tradition going for it than "a giant invisible badger in the sky". I find them both equally absurd.

Well, to be fair, not ALL metaphysical claims are created equal. Some of them are at least internally consistent. I'd say there IS a difference between saying

and

'God is all-loving and all-merciful, hell exists and all non-Christians will end up there after death.'

The first statement is merely pure speculation while the second one also requires you to twist logic in painful and unnatural ways.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Emmy

Senior Veteran
Feb 15, 2004
✟50,995.00
Faith
Salvation Army
Dear David Gould, you had some thought-provoking replies, may I say straight away, only those Christians who do not want to be with God for eternity, will end up as they wish, WITHOUT God. About allthe others, God will judge, He knows our hearts, and every thought. Jesus told us, while on Earth, " if anyone does not want to follow me, he,or she, will end up in a place in outer darkness, WITHOUT God`s LOVE or LIGHT. That is no metaphysical claim David, that is God`s Truth. Even if you do not believe there is a God, you will end up somewhere, after you leave your body, your inner man, your soul, will live on. You might not believe this either, but are you prepared to take the risk??? I say this humbly and kindly, David, and send greetings. Emmy, sister in Christ.

Upvote 0

Troof

Dec 21, 2005
✟374.00
Faith
Atheist
Emmy said:
Dear David Gould, you had some thought-provoking replies, may I say straight away, only those Christians who do not want to be with God for eternity, will end up as they wish, WITHOUT God. About allthe others, God will judge, He knows our hearts, and every thought. Jesus told us, while on Earth, " if anyone does not want to follow me, he,or she, will end up in a place in outer darkness, WITHOUT God`s LOVE or LIGHT. That is no metaphysical claim David, that is God`s Truth. Even if you do not believe there is a God, you will end up somewhere, after you leave your body, your inner man, your soul, will live on. You might not believe this either, but are you prepared to take the risk??? I say this humbly and kindly, David, and send greetings. Emmy, sister in Christ.
AH, the old "are you prepared to take the risk" argument.

Upvote 0

Cleany

"I desire mercy, not sacrifice&am
Aug 2, 2005
Berkshire
✟9,292.00
Faith
Marital Status
Single
Emmy said:
im sorry but this is just a mix of what appears to be random theological and philosophical ideas.

what do you know about the afterlife? about the soul? what does "god will jusge our hears mean"? it just means "i dont know".

all that you are really saying is "there is an afterlife at which point we will be with or without god" but you dont know anything abuot the afterlife - or do you?

Upvote 0

TeddyKGB

A dude playin' a dude disgused as another dude
Jul 18, 2005
Deep underground
✟8,993.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
JoeSaebi said:
Try prayer, and try listening to God (prayer goes two ways).
This, too, is a metaphysical claim. To wit: How do I tell to whom any putative voice in my head might belong?

Upvote 0