Visit site
✟20,967.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
This is all very interesting for me to read. My son had his first IEP last spring. I've heard SO many negative things about child study teams that I don't know what to think sometimes. I'm afraid I'm going to miss an opportunity or be taken advantage of because I don't know what I'm doing.

I have my first parent/teacher conference set up for next week. So I'm going to reserve my judgement until then.

Upvote 0

CarrieAg93

Senior Veteran
Oct 18, 2004
Texas
✟19,397.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
This is all very interesting for me to read. My son had his first IEP last spring. I've heard SO many negative things about child study teams that I don't know what to think sometimes. I'm afraid I'm going to miss an opportunity or be taken advantage of because I don't know what I'm doing.

I have my first parent/teacher conference set up for next week. So I'm going to reserve my judgement until then.

Unfortunately I think there is often distrust on both sides of the table at IEP meetings. I have sat on both sides.

A lot of parents think the school district wants to do as little as possible to help their child and are under the impression they are going to have to fight for everything. There are A LOT of legal restraints on therapists and special ed. teachers that parents aren't aware of. They also aren't legally allowed to tell parents things they should be able to. I think that's where a lot of the distrust comes from.

On the other hand, SOME parents are just itching for a reason to sue and school employees always have that in the back of their minds. They have to be very careful of what and how they say things and I think that often comes across as evasive.

Anyway, good luck with your IEP and please go into it with an open mind. I've seen too many parents walk in on the defensive when they didn't need to. Trust me these people want to help your child. As the saying goes - they're not in it for the money. :)

Reactions: LynnMcG
Upvote 0

Elmarie

Oct 28, 2006
✟7,666.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi! I'm new here. I'm from South Africa, so I can't really comment on how to navigate the system, but it seems to me that things in SA don't differ much from things in the USA. My son is deaf and has ADHD and while he was in school ( I homeschool now) we had endless problems with the low expectations that were placed on his school work. We also had very little say in things like sign language and therapy. Learning the "lingo" is very important. I can remember getting very frustrated in these meetings,because although I understood the words they were saying, no-one would explain the implications they would have on my sons life! I struggled to get straight answers from anybody and got the impression that they had allready decided exactly what his abilities were and would not even concider that they might be wrong. He had an amazing teacher in Gr 1 but even she was surprised about the level of math he was doing at home! The perspective I got on this, was that we have to remember that we operate by faith and that most of the teachers operate by facts! They just aren't trained to look past the natural or to expect miracles. These days I still have to fight for my son, but the fight isn't against an institution anymore. I honour the Lord for all the wonderfull, little miracles that are part of my life. Every new word and every new math principle understood is exciting and a triumph. :clap: God bless, Elmarie

Upvote 0

sweetcaroline

Dec 2, 2006
georgia
✟7,664.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

i have been to many IEP meetings and sometimes they are good and sometimes bad. i have come to realize the person in the meeting to watch out for are the guidance counselors. ussually the teachers are very supportive and are just looking for the best way to help the child. there are some teachers that you do have to watch out for but hopefully that is not your situation. i have also found it very helpful if you take an another adult with you like your husband or one of the grandparents. my son for the past 4 yrs was ADD according to the schools, but we had him tested again now that he is in 3rd grade and they think it is ODD. of course the last time we had him tested he was at a different school. now, he is going to see a child psychologist. i hope your meetings go well and you don't have to go through the same thing i have. BEST OF LUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:wave:

Upvote 0