✟585,540.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
How do you think the settlers could translate Native American
They could learn. Settlers did learn. This includes when ones were taken captive by raids and adopted into tribes. They learned. And if people wanted to be scouts who could negotiate with Native Americans, they learned their languages.

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟585,540.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
How is apricity and Septentrional a negative word?
I offered that "a number" of words in the site were not what I would want to use or give my attention to.

And, like I say, I try to use simple vocabulary so our various readers can understand what I am offering.

Upvote 0

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
They could learn. Settlers did learn. This includes when ones were taken captive by raids and adopted into tribes. They learned. And if people wanted to be scouts who could negotiate with Native Americans, they learned their languages.

So they learned it the same way we learned English-nothing more or less than that?

Upvote 0

Ygrene Imref

Feb 21, 2017
New York, NY
✟70,839.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Celibate
The fact that certain sounds together are understandable. Language itself is one of life's great mysteries to me. Do you think there is a clear explanation for this?

Psycholinguistics - Wikipedia

No.

I is amazingly complex, but simple at the same time. I say that because it is the only "thing" that you can fully understand, and because it evolves you can still lose fluency if you don't "practice." Technically math is like this, but it is also a language.

Upvote 0

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I offered that "a number" of words in the site were not what I would want to use or give my attention to.

And, like I say, I try to use simple vocabulary so our various readers can understand what I am offering.

I only would learn a new language if it was practical. Agree?

Upvote 0

Ygrene Imref

Feb 21, 2017
New York, NY
✟70,839.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Celibate
So that explains how blind people know things? It also seems confusing with regards with certain languages.

Another thing is-why are fricative words considered profanity?

I think communication in general is highly complex. For example, someone may have a dream where they see blue colors prominently displayed - maybe like a winter themed boulevard - only to wake and realize the temperature in the room is freezing cold.

That crossover of senses ("seeing" sensation of cold, or "feeling" the color blue) is amazing to me in the context of communicating language.

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟585,540.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
How do you think the settlers could translate Native American

So they learned it the same way we learned English-nothing more or less than that?
Well, there are different ways to learn a language. So, one person might use methods different than what someone else has used.

We can learn like how a baby learns by growing up in a family.

Someone can teach us and practice with us.

We can study books.

We can use movies and videos to get experience. Ones in early history, of course, did not do this :) I have used a You Tube Spanish reading of the epistle of James, chapter one, so I could hear the language and practice hearing the words; you can distinguish them after learning them and then hearing them, for a while.

We can try to talk and people then can correct us.

I use Bibles in the languages I want to learn so I show people I love them and am their friend; and I memorize verses so I have good things to say, even though I am not totally familiar with a language.

By myself, I might practice by thinking and praying and speaking in a language; but then I verify with a native speaker, to make sure of if I am really learning the language :)

And I have memorized and sung a verse in Tagalog. This has helped me to remember it :) But, then, ones Philippine might not know the formal Tagalog which is in the Bible, or they speak a different Philippine language, and not Tagalog. So-o-o . . . lolololol . . . I need to be ready to adapt to what people know.

With God we can be creative :)

Upvote 0

Ygrene Imref

Feb 21, 2017
New York, NY
✟70,839.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Celibate
So that explains how blind people know things? It also seems confusing with regards with certain languages.

Another thing is-why are fricative words considered profanity?

This actually has to do with biophysics.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I think communication in general is highly complex. For example, someone may have a dream where they see blue colors prominently displayed - maybe like a winter themed boulevard - only to wake and realize the temperature in the room is freezing cold.

That crossover of senses ("seeing" sensation of cold, or "feeling" the color blue) is amazing to me in the context of communicating language.

Does the word blu have connotations of the color?
The Origin of the English Names of Colors

White

White began its life in PIE as *kwintos and meant simply white or bright. This had changed to *khwitz in Proto-Germanic, and later languages transformed it into hvitr (Old Norse), hwit (Old Saxon) and wit (Dutch). By the time Old English developed, the word was kwit.

Red

In PIE, red was *reudh and meant red and ruddy. In Proto-Germanic, red was *rauthaz, and in its derivative languages raudr (Old Norse), rod (Old Saxon) and rØd (Danish). In Old English, it was written read.

Green

Meaning grow in PIE, it was *ghre. Subsequent languages wrote it grene (Old Frisian), graenn (Old Norse) and grown (Dutch). In Old English, it was grene and meant the color green as well as young and immature.

• Informative
Reactions: Ygrene Imref
Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟585,540.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I only would learn a new language if it was practical. Agree?
Well, I have learned enough to say, "God bless you!" in Russian and Korean and Portuguese. And it was practical for me to learn some German so I could do well in college classes in it. But Spanish has gotten me more busy because I share with a number of Spanish speakers who may not know English. Plus, I enjoy sharing with Spanish speaking people about God and Jesus and God's word.

Upvote 0

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Well, I have learned enough to say, "God bless you!" in Russian and Korean and Portuguese. And it was practical for me to learn some German so I could do well in college classes in it. But Spanish has gotten me more busy because I share with a number of Spanish speakers who may not know English. Plus, I enjoy sharing with Spanish speaking people about God and Jesus and God's word.

I won't waste time studying sanskrit.

• Haha
Reactions: Ygrene Imref
Upvote 0

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
What is your view on making English more phonetic?

Like spelling "he red a book".

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟585,540.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
What is your view on making English more phonetic?

Like spelling "he red a book".
Well . . . in this example, I see how "red" could be a problem, since it could be confused with the color red, though it is a verb. So, I see from this how non-phonetic spelling can help to make clear what a word means.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Well . . . in this example, I see how "red" could be a problem, since it could be confused with the color red, though it is a verb. So, I see from this how non-phonetic spelling can help to make clear what a word means.

What about spelling words phonetically like marriage "marij"-that spelling would be confusing though-its hard to tell if an i is "ih" or "ee".

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟585,540.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
What about spelling words phonetically like marriage "marij"-that spelling would be confusing though-its hard to tell if an i is "ih" or "ee".
It would simply need to be understood that "i" in "marij" is pronounced "ih". Or, have "i" for long "i", and "ih" for short "i".

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟585,540.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Why isn't it spelled marij or marihj?
I don't know. Possibly, it comes from an earlier spelling in the past history of the language's development. For all I know, "marriage" was pronounced phonetically, but the pronunciation has gotten lazy and slurred.

Upvote 0

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I don't know. Possibly, it comes from an earlier spelling in the past history of the language's development. For all I know, "marriage" was pronounced phonetically, but the pronunciation has gotten lazy and slurred.

Why dont we say the hi priest instead of high priest?

Technically a lot of silent sounds are to distinguish the meaning of the vowel before it-

Some spellings without silent letters would be langwij, luv, reeding books.

Last edited:
Upvote 0