StAnselm

Theologue
Aug 17, 2004
Melbourne
Visit site
✟16,804.00
Faith
Protestant
I don't think we need to believe the titles are the inspired word of God, but they are very useful, nonetheless. However, I don't think many of the ones without titles can be placed in a historical context. An obvious exception is Psalm 137, which was written during Judah's exile in Babylon. A few psalms, like Psalm 91, seem to have been composed in a battlefield situation.

Upvote 0

TrevorL

Aug 20, 2004
Lake Macquarie NSW
✟56,943.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Howdy roobear05,

Greetings. I enjoyed reading your post and looking at Psalm 63. The heading is easily overlooked, but reading Psalm 63 "A Psalm of David, when he was in the wilderness of Judah" immediately sets the context and adds meaning to the Psalm and the historical record. You have left us to imagine some aspects of the talk that you listened to.

My appreciation of the Psalms has grown gradually, with some understanding of David's history and the words and thoughts of some of the Psalms. Some of the feelings become clearer as we go through the troubles, trials and joys of life's experiences. Some reference works could help. I have not given a serious study of many of the contexts, but a few have been of interest for a number of years.

Psalm 34 gives us the historical incident "A Psalm of David, when he changed his behaviour before Abimelech; who drove him away, and he departed". 1 Samuel 21:13-15 gives the immediate incident, but the context before and after add meaning to the Psalm.
1 Samuel 21:12 (KJV): "And David laid up these words in his heart, and was sore afraid of Achish the king of Gath."

Psalm 34:4,7 (KJV): "4 I sought the LORD, and he heard me, and delivered me from all my fears. "7 The angel of the LORD encampeth round about them that fear him, and delivereth them."

1 Samuel 22:2 (KJV): "And every one that was in distress, and every one that was in debt, and every one that was discontented, gathered themselves unto him; and he became a captain over them: and there were with him about four hundred men."

Psalm 34:11 (KJV): "Come, ye children, hearken unto me: I will teach you the fear of the LORD."
I enjoy also looking at how the psalms are then applied by Christ or the Apostles. Peter quotes Psalm 34:12-16 in 1 Peter 3:10-13 to encourage the early believers as they faced a time of trial, similar to David and those who had gathered to him in the cave. This is a good lesson for us as we face the increasing troubles of life and the time of the end. It can help to lift us out of sore distress and refocus our trust in God.

The historical context of Psalm 8 is not directly given. I am interested if others have a suggestion on this. Tentatively my preference is that it was composed shortly after David's defeat of Goliath, in a brief respite, while he was sitting at night watching his sheep. One link is the child like trust of David in this incident, refer verse 2. The remarkable incident of David and Goliath was the first showing of Israel's future king, the one who would receive dominion Genesis 1:26 and subdue God's enemies Genesis 3:15. It speaks in terms of the original creation, but has in mind the new creation. David looks to the Father as Lord of heaven and earth and rejoices in God giving dominion unto the Son of Man. Again the NT application is interesting. Jesus takes up the words of David and applies it to himself and the "babes" that believed in him.
Psalm 8:1-3,6 (KJV): "1 O LORD our Lord, how excellent is thy name in all the earth! who hast set thy glory above the heavens. 2 Out of the mouth of babes and sucklings hast thou ordained strength because of thine enemies, that thou mightest still the enemy and the avenger. 3 When I consider thy heavens, the work of thy fingers, the moon and the stars, which thou hast ordained; 6 Thou madest him to have dominion over the works of thy hands; thou hast put all things under his feet:

Matthew 11:25-30 (KJV): "25 At that time Jesus answered and said, I thank thee, O Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because thou hast hid these things from the wise and prudent, and hast revealed them unto babes. 26 Even so, Father: for so it seemed good in thy sight. 27 All things are delivered unto me of my Father: and no man knoweth the Son, but the Father; neither knoweth any man the Father, save the Son, and he to whomsoever the Son will reveal him. 28 Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light."
Kind regards

Trevor

Upvote 0

TrevorL

Aug 20, 2004
Lake Macquarie NSW
✟56,943.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
psalms context

It is interesting that there are only 13 Psalms with historical headings, Psalms 3, 7, 18, 30, 34, 51, 52, 54, 56, 57, 59, 60, 142 and all of these are Psalms of David. The only psalm by Moses Psalm 90 speaks of the weakness and frailty of man, and God's judgment upon mankind. This reflects the sad story of the generation that was perishing during the 40 years wandering in the wilderness. This Psalm also gives encouragement to the new generation who would enter the land, and we can heed this message.

Concerning the authenticity of the titles of the Psalms, they were in existence when the Septuagint translation was made at least before 200 BC. As the LXX had difficulty translating some of the technical terms found in the headings, this would indicate that various terms used must be much older than 200 - 300 BC for some of this meaning to have been lost. This also shows their antiquity in contrast to higher criticism claims. The titles should be taken as part of the inspired word of God, as they could have been added by David's seer, or his scribe under David's direction when some of these psalms were first collected together as Israel's book of praise.

Also the New Testament confirms the authorship of some very important Psalms, claiming particular Psalms to have been written by David himself. The titles of these Psalms confirm this, refer Mark 12:35-37, Acts 2:34, 35 with Psalm 110 title, and Acts 2:25-32 with Psalm 16 title.

Another interesting suggestion is based on the structure of the Psalm in Habakkuk 3. This Psalm begins with "A prayer of Habakkuk the prophet upon Shigionoth," and it ends in verse 19 with "To the chief singer on my stringed instruments". JW Thirtle in his book "The Titles of The Psalms" (2nd Edition Frowde 1905) suggests that notes relating to authorship, description, or occasions of writing should be read as relating to the Psalm which follows, but that those inscriptions which are of a musical character, should be applied to the Psalms which precede them. An example "To the chief Musician on Neginoth" appears at the beginning of Psalm 4, but should be attached to the end of Psalm 3. This rearrangement does clarify some titles and musical aspects, and also seems to solve a few problems. He also has suggestions for the various Hebrew words that appear untranslated in the titles and also the part relating to the Chief Musician.

Has any one had a careful look at Thirtle's suggestions? Are there any other books or articles that deal extensively with this subject of the titles to the psalms? There seems to be a wide range of opinion as to the meaning of some of these untranslated Hebrew words.

Kind regards
Trevor

Upvote 0

HumbleBee

Jan 8, 2004
✟3,212.00
Faith
Christian
Psalm 1 Its first Word is 'Blessed'! Blessed indeed are those who delve into the depths of the Psalms! :D

Psalm 2, 8, 16, 22, 23, 24, 34, 35, 40, 41, 45, 68, 69, 72, 89, 102, 110, 116, 118 and as do many other Psalms refer to Christ. As do others... :amen:

Psalm 18 in conjunction with the David & Goliath account...zowie what a read! :thumbsup:

Psalm 23 written by David, a shepherd himself. ;)

Upvote 0

RVincent

Onions make me gassy.
Dec 16, 2003
Tempe, AZ
✟1,854.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Politics
US-Republican
Psalms 1 - 150
The Five Books

A1} Pslams 1 - 41. THE GENESIS BOOK: CONCERNING MAN. The counsels of God concerning him. All blessing bound up in obedience (cp.1:1 with Gen. 1:28). Obedience is man's "tree of life" (cp. 1:3 with Gen. 2:16). Disobedience brought ruin (cp. Ps. 2 with Gen. 3). The ruin repaired only by the Son of Man in His atoning work as the seen of the woman (cp. Ps. 8 with Gen. 3:15). The book concludes with a Benediction and double Amen.

B1} Pslams 42 - 72. THE EXODUS BOOK: CONCERNING ISRAEL AS A NATION. The counsels of God concerning Israel's Ruin, Israel's Redeemer, and Israel's Redemption (Ex. 15:13). Cp. Ps 68:4 with Ex. 15:3 "JAH". It begins with Israel's cry for deliverance, and ends with Israel's king reigning over the redeemed nation. The book concludes with a Benediction and a double Amen.

C1} Pslams 73 - 89. THE LEVITICUS BOOK: CONCERNING THE SANCTUARY. The counsels of God concerning the Sanctuary in its relation to man, and the Sanctuary in relation to Jehovah. The Sanctuary, Congregation, Assembly, or Zion, &c., referred to in nearly every Psalm. The book concludes with a Benediction and a double Amen.

B2} Pslams 90 - 106. THE NUMBERS BOOK: CONCURRING ISRAEL AND THE NATIONS OF THE EARTH. The counsels of God concerning the Earth, showing that there is no hope or rest for the Earth apart from Jehovah. Its figures and similes are from the world as a wilderness (cp. the references to mountains, hills, floods, grass, trees, pestilence, &c.). It begins with the prayer of Moses (the Man of the Wilderness), Ps 90, and closes with a rehearsal of Israel's rebellions in the wilderness (Ps. 106). Note "the New Song" for "all the earth" in Ps. 96:11. where the theme is contained in one sentence which gives an Acrostic, spelling the word "Jehovah": "Let the heavens rejoice, and let the earth be glad". The book concludes with a Benediction and Amen, Hallelujah.

A2} Pslams 107 - 150. THE DEUTERONOMY BOOK: CONCERNING GOD AND HIS WORD. The counsels of God concerning His Word. showing that all blessings for Man (Book 1), all blessings for Israel (Book 2), all blessings for the Earth and the Nation (Book 4), are bound up with living on the words of God (Deut. 8:3). Disobedience to Jehovah's words was the source of Man's sorrows, Israel's dispersion, the Sanctuary's ruin, and Earth's miseries. Blessing is to come from that Word written on the heart (cp. Jer. 31:33,34 Heb. 8:10-12; 10:16,17). Ps. 119 is in this book. The Living Word (John 1:1) began His ministry by quoting Deut. 6:13,16; 8:3; 10:20 in Matt. 4:4,7,10. The book begins with Ps. 107, and in v.20 we read "He sent His Word and healed them", and it concludes with five Psalms (one for each of the five books), each Psalm beginning and ending with "Hallelujah".

See also The Book of Psalms. Miscellaneous Phenomena.

Upvote 0

RVincent

Onions make me gassy.
Dec 16, 2003
Tempe, AZ
✟1,854.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Politics
US-Republican
TrevorL said:
Another interesting suggestion is based on the structure of the Psalm in Habakkuk 3. This Psalm begins with "A prayer of Habakkuk the prophet upon Shigionoth," and it ends in verse 19 with "To the chief singer on my stringed instruments". JW Thirtle in his book "The Titles of The Psalms" (2nd Edition Frowde 1905) suggests that notes relating to authorship, description, or occasions of writing should be read as relating to the Psalm which follows, but that those inscriptions which are of a musical character, should be applied to the Psalms which precede them. An example "To the chief Musician on Neginoth" appears at the beginning of Psalm 4, but should be attached to the end of Psalm 3. This rearrangement does clarify some titles and musical aspects, and also seems to solve a few problems. He also has suggestions for the various Hebrew words that appear untranslated in the titles and also the part relating to the Chief Musician.

Has any one had a careful look at Thirtle's suggestions? Are there any other books or articles that deal extensively with this subject of the titles to the psalms? There seems to be a wide range of opinion as to the meaning of some of these untranslated Hebrew words.

Yes, and I love it! The same phenomenon is pointed out in a Psalm in Isaiah 38:9-20. So we really have two witnesses.

These corrections are made in the Companion Bible...

"This is the key thus discovered by Dr. J.W. Thirtle which had been lost for so many centuries; and The Companion Bible is the first edition of the Bible in which the Psalms are thus correctly presented in harmony with the two Psalm-models, Isaiah 38:9 - 20, and Habakkuk 3. From "To the Chief Musician"

Upvote 0

TrevorL

Aug 20, 2004
Lake Macquarie NSW
✟56,943.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Howdy R Vincent,

Greetings. I enjoyed your earlier Post on the 5 Books of Psalms - something to keep in mind when looking at individual Psalms. I enjoy finding NT references to the Psalms and Isaiah etc, and for some time I have been keen on Psalm 8 and its NT references. Our Bible Class on Wednesday evening dealt with Philippians 3 and for the first time I was delighted to discover the connection of v21 with Psalm 8. This also echoes with Paul's use of Psalm 8 in 1 Corinthians 15:23-28.
Philippians 3:21 (KJV): "Who shall change our vile body, that it may be fashioned like unto his glorious body, according to the working whereby he is able even to subdue all things unto himself."
This was an apt summary of the whole chapter, of earnestly seeking the goal of Christ. This was also interesting because it fits in with another excellent theme alluded to in 1 John 3:1-3 that seems to allude to:
Psalm 17:15 (KJV): "As for me, I will behold thy face in righteousness: I shall be satisfied, when I awake, with thy likeness."
I was near the end of reading JW Thirtle's book on the Titles when I wrote my earlier post and it was not until the very last sentence of the book that he says:
"Compare also the Psalm of Hezekiah in Isa.38, noting the literary opening v9, and the (informal) musical ending v20."
R Vincent wrote:
"The same phenomenon is pointed out in a Psalm in Isaiah 38:9-20. So we really have two witnesses."
This second witness was like the jewel in the crown, because it not only agreed with Hab.3, but it helps to unlock Psalms 120-134 "The Songs of the Degrees". Four of these are by David, one by Solomon, the other ten appear to be by Hezekiah. These appear to be selected and the other ten written by Hezekiah to commemorate Hezekiah's recovery from his sickness Isaiah 38:9-20 and their delivery from the Assyrian invasion. Refer also App.67 Companion Bible and Old Testament Problems JW Thirtle. The Book of Psalms appear to have an input by Hezekiah, adding to the original Psalter by David. Compare:
Proverbs 25:1 (KJV): "These are also proverbs of Solomon, which the men of Hezekiah king of Judah copied out."
Kind regards
Trevor

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.