NathanBai

Jul 20, 2011
✟7,717.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
PSALM 23
The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want. He makes me to lie down in green pastures; He leads me beside the still waters.
He restores my soul; he leads me in the paths of righteousness for His name's sake.
yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for You are with me; Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me.
You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; you anoint my head with oil; my cup runs over. Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life. And I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.

Was the psalmist fasting when he wrote this? sounds very familiar huh?

even though we're fasting ("not eating" in the real world) we have no need for food, we are not hungry for food...we are hungry for Him and he answers!!!

through the fast, we are being restored, lead down His path for our lives, our righteousness re-affirmed! we are being annointed and filled to overflowing. God is showing us his goodness and mercy, and allowing us to show it to others, for His Glory and His Glory alone!

some/most of us feel like we're in the valley of the shadow of death; but we are not discouraged, our heads are held high because we KNOW who our Daddy is!

So, people of faith! Put on the full armour of God, and fight the good fight, for our reward is imminent or already here!!!!

PaladinValer

Traditional Orthodox Anglican
Apr 7, 2004
Myrtle Beach, SC
✟30,305.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
It has nothing to do with fasting.

While fasting is a truly Biblical and Traditional aspect of the Christian faith and practice, Psalm 23 isn't referring to it. It has to do with God as Divine Shepherd and, for we Christians, we see Jesus foretold of here.

We are His sheep. The Good Shepherd provides all for us (therefore, we shall not be in want). He provides us food enough (lying down in green pastures and besides still waters) and true peace (the waters again). He provides us with all we need to live, but our lives at all (restoring the soul/life). He guides us in all good things and righteousness, for His Name is Salvation (right paths for His Name's sake). Though we walk through dark times and tribulations (valley of the shadow of death), we need not fear for He is with us though the world is always against us (You are with me), so we need fear no evil (I will fear no evil). His rulership over us (rod) includes protection (the staff), which is always a comfort.

Indeed, He provides for all of us, even those we don't like (preparing a table even in the presence of enemies) and allows us a change therefore to reconcile with them. When we do, we are blessed (anointed with oil) and given more than we need (my cup runs over). Only goodness, mercy, and kindness can come of these things, and because of that, we will want to remain in His Holy Church (the house of the Lord) for ever.

This is the interpretation of Psalm 23.

Upvote 0