Roman57

May 26, 2005
Ann Arbor
✟29,755.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I don't normally read Psalms or Proverbs since I tend to regard it as just a poetry rather than serious scripture, but recently I watched Youtube video that talked about Proverbs 7 and this got my attention. Contrary to what I thought, Proverbs 7 IS a serious chapter, and I find it a lot more serious than most people do.

Contrary to public opinion, I think the death of that guy was literal. The question is who killed him. Was it that woman herself, or was it her husband? In both cases, the question is what was the motivation. If it was the woman herself, why did she want to do it? If it was her husband, why did she want to lie that her husband was away?

And also as far as her house is a highway to hell, I would take it literally too. I think she was in communion with demonic forces, and demons literally inhabitted her house. That is super scary. Even being a guest to her house without comitting adultery, even that is spiritually dangerous. This chapter gave me nightmares.

But what is your opinion. How do you interpret this chapter?

Roman57

May 26, 2005
Ann Arbor
✟29,755.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Allegorically, I see the harlots bed as a picture of death complete with embalming spices, "myrrh, aloes, and cinnamon." see also John 19:39-40

Thats an interesting thought. Because keep in mind, she uses those spices as part of the advertisement, which makes it feel like she is not even hiding the fact that he will die. Well, in actuality she is hiding the death part, otherwise he won't bite. But the way she sounds in the retrospect is "come and be killed, due to all the spices that will be used in preparing your death bed, it will all be worth it". And she sort of does say it, because what she does is a "white lie". She isn't saying that the spices are "not" for burial, she simply "forgets" to mention that they are. And if during his last breath the guy were to ask her "why didn't you tell me about it", she might well rationalize by precisely saying "well, those spices make the death part worth it". Of course he will then feel ridiculous but he won't be able to do anything about it.

Upvote 0

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟748,357.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Thats an interesting thought. Because keep in mind, she uses those spices as part of the advertisement, which makes it feel like she is not even hiding the fact that he will die. Well, in actuality she is hiding the death part, otherwise he won't bite. But the way she sounds in the retrospect is "come and be killed, due to all the spices that will be used in preparing your death bed, it will all be worth it".
Proverbs are extremely important.

Upvote 0