Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
It takes an hour, so come back when you have the time if need be, but this video goes into detail about a very important issue with the Church, one that's lasted since Jesus' time & continues to split His Church today.

Please watch the entire video before replying, the whole thing's good, but it really gets amazing in the second half.

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,476,566.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I like Fr. Mike and I watch his short YouTube videos.

But I don't have an hour to devote to this, so why don't you give us an executive summary. Or maybe Fr. Mike has even done a short YouTube on the issue that you can point us to.

Reactions: Dave-W
Upvote 0

bcbsr

Mar 17, 2003
Visit site
✟201,456.00
Faith
Christian
It takes an hour, so come back when you have the time if need be, but this video goes into detail about a very important issue with the Church, one that's lasted since Jesus' time & continues to split His Church today.

Please watch the entire video before replying, the whole thing's good, but it really gets amazing in the second half.

Nope, not going to waste an hour of my time. Why is it that you can't simply summarize his key points here? If you agree with whatever he's trying to say, then prove that you understand what he's trying to say but writing it down yourself.

Upvote 0

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married

John 6 has no direct relation to the Lord's Supper.

• Agree
Reactions: redleghunter
Upvote 0

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Thanks, but I don't need the video. I served 12 years in Catholic school. ;)

I also studied theology at a Catholic university. I'm not Protestant because I'm unfamiliar with Catholic views. It's the exact opposite.

Upvote 0

FenderTL5

Κύριε, ἐλέησον.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2016
Nashville TN
✟634,456.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Thanks for sharing.
The first half is obviously intended for a younger audience (and I'm old), the crowd shots prove he was indeed speaking to a younger crowd. The message was well delivered.

Upvote 0

Unofficial Reverand Alex

Pray in silence...God speaks softly
Site Supporter
Dec 22, 2017
The Mystical Lands of Rural Indiana
Visit site
✟526,763.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
But I don't have an hour to devote to this, so why don't you give us an executive summary. Or maybe Fr. Mike has even done a short YouTube on the issue that you can point us to.
I don't summarize, because some things are better explained in long form.

Nope, not going to waste an hour of my time. Why is it that you can't simply summarize his key points here? If you agree with whatever he's trying to say, then prove that you understand what he's trying to say but writing it down yourself.
Summaries aren't always the most effective way to transmit information. If you agree with the Bible, then why not summarize the key points, and not waste your time reading the whole thing?

Same goes for movies, novels, documentaries, and anything.

"If you can't explain it simply, you don't know it well enough"--but simple explanations for controversial topics leave out critical details that can sway opinions & directly affect how one sees an issue.

• Informative
Reactions: TuxAme
Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,476,566.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't summarize, because some things are better explained in long form.

Summaries aren't always the most effective way to transmit information. If you agree with the Bible, then why not summarize the key points, and not waste your time reading the whole thing?.

And yet, pastors--including Fr. Mike--do preach sermons from the bible instead of reading the whole thing aloud every Sunday, which disproves your point.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

TuxAme

Quis ut Deus?
Site Supporter
Dec 16, 2017
Ohio
✟191,697.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
And yet, pastors--including Fr. Mike--do preach sermons from the bible instead of reading the whole thing aloud every Sunday, which disproves your point.
Given the opportunity, you don't believe that people like Father Mike would expound upon those readings beyond what can be relayed in a ten minute homily?

Father Mike himself disproves your point.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,476,566.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Given the opportunity, you don't believe that people like Father Mike would expound upon those readings beyond what can be relayed in a ten minute homily?

And yet, he does ten minute homilies.

• Winner
Reactions: redleghunter
Upvote 0

Phil 1:21

Apr 3, 2017
United States
✟144,842.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Every Christian should be able to summarize the Good News. :oldthumbsup:

Upvote 0

Unofficial Reverand Alex

Site Supporter
Dec 22, 2017
Visit site
✟526,763.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
I think we're kind of missing 2 points:

1) Short explanations aren't always the best; they certainly have their time & place, as do long explanations.

2) The actual content of the video.

• Agree
Reactions: BNR32FAN
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I like Fr. Mike and I watch his short YouTube videos.

I watched the video.

Fr. Mike's first major point is that "You can only share intimacy through physicality."

He then pivots to John 6 to make the familiar argument that the Catholic understanding of the Eucharist is necessary to share in this necessary intimacy with Jesus.

My initial response is to disagree with Fr. Mike's conclusion that you can only share intimacy through physicality. Certainly physicality can be a part of sharing intimacy, but, if what Fr. Mike claims is true, then you share true intimacy with anyone you choose to be physically intimate with.

I've been married for almost 20 years now, ... and I know that the intimacy my wife and I share ... is much greater than anything that I shared with anyone I was physically intimate with before her.

And of course the interpretation of John 6 depends upon what you think Jesus was ultimately speaking of there. Most Protestants believe that Jesus was speaking of the sacrifice of His body and blood upon the cross ... through which we obtain relationship with Him. Our proper response to Jesus' sacrifice ... is to believe in His power to save us. That's why in portions of John 6, Jesus says this ...

40 For this is the will of my Father, that everyone who looks on the Son and believes in him should have eternal life, and I will raise him up on the last day.”

47 Truly, truly, I say to you, whoever believes has eternal life.

Belief (i.e. Faith) is the motif of John's gospel from beginning to end.

John 1:12 But to all who did receive him, who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God.

John 20:30 And truly Jesus did many other signs in the presence of His disciples, which are not written in this book; 31 but these are written that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that believing you may have life in His name.

Upvote 0

Unofficial Reverand Alex

Site Supporter
Dec 22, 2017
Visit site
✟526,763.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
And of course the interpretation of John 6 depends upon what you think Jesus was ultimately speaking of there.
48 I am the bread of life. 49 Your ancestors ate the manna in the wilderness, yet they died. 50 But here is the bread that comes down from heaven, which anyone may eat and not die. 51 I am the living bread that came down from heaven. Whoever eats this bread will live forever. This bread is my flesh, which I will give for the life of the world.”

52 Then the Jews began to argue sharply among themselves, “How can this man give us his flesh to eat?”

53 Jesus said to them, “Very truly I tell you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you have no life in you. 54 Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day. 55 For my flesh is real food and my blood is real drink.

Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
53 Jesus said to them, “Very truly I tell you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you have no life in you. 54 Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day. 55 For my flesh is real food and my blood is real drink.

And it is ... the sacrifice of Jesus' body and blood purchased for us our salvation ... in remembrance of which we take His body and blood in corporate thanksgiving ...

A question ... would consumption of Jesus' body and blood, apart from the sacrifice of His body and blood, yield life unto your soul ?

Upvote 0

Phil 1:21

Apr 3, 2017
United States
✟144,842.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
"I am the door." John 10:9

"I am the good shepherd." John 10:11

"I am the light of the world." John 8:12

I doubt anyone believes Jesus was a wooden plank with two hinges who tended fuzzy four-legged livestock while emitting photons around the globe.

Upvote 0

TuxAme

Quis ut Deus?
Site Supporter
Dec 16, 2017
Ohio
✟191,697.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
"I am the door." John 10:9

"I am the good shepherd." John 10:11

"I am the light of the world." John 8:12

I doubt anyone believes Jesus was a wooden plank with two hinges who tended fuzzy four-legged livestock while emitting photons around the globe.
Yet no one understood him literally when He said these things. The Bread of Life Discourse was different- the Jews understood Jesus to be speaking plainly, and He affirmed their understanding by repeating Himself. The very fact that the Jews spoke up during this time, but not during any of the times you mentioned, should tip us off that something else is happening here. The Jews didn't say, "How can he be a door" or "How can he be a light", and He didn't lose followers for these sayings.

Upvote 0