Jun 2, 2012
✟15,922.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Friday afternoon on the bus after school, me and my friend were talking about the second coming of Christ, when I brought up I was Roman Catholic (Catechumen) she said " you Catholics don't believe in Jesus coming again, you believe in worshiping statues!" I told her that statues are only rememberances of the Saints, nothing more but she rejected saying we actually worship the object itself. It's pure ignorance when somebody denies what the Catholic Church actually teaches, only make it what they want the Church to believe. If you ask me, they are barring false witness against us, which is against the 7th commandment.

God Bless,
RomanRite

tansy

Jan 12, 2008
✟35,507.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well, maybe that was what she'd been told.
I don't suppose she was deliberately bearing false witness.
This is why of course it's so important to investigate for oneself exactly what another church or person really believes, rather than just on hearsay. Perhap you should pray for her. :)

Upvote 0

tansy

Jan 12, 2008
✟35,507.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I sure will, but the fact that I was trying to explain what we do and she rejects it is a form on barring false witness by saying we do something we do not. That's just my opinion though, others might disagree.

Well, I'm afraid there are always people who won't listen...a lot of people didn't listen to Jesus either..and rejected Him :(

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,671,195.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Friday afternoon on the bus after school, me and my friend were talking about the second coming of Christ, when I brought up I was Roman Catholic (Catechumen) she said " you Catholics don't believe in Jesus coming again, you believe in worshiping statues!" I told her that statues are only rememberances of the Saints, nothing more but she rejected saying we actually worship the object itself. It's pure ignorance when somebody denies what the Catholic Church actually teaches, only make it what they want the Church to believe. If you ask me, they are barring false witness against us, which is against the 7th commandment.

God Bless,
RomanRite
It depends on her knowledge & honesty as far as being open to what the RCC actually does teach & believe.

There is a difference in wanting to believe ugliness regardless of proof & simply just think that is what the RCC actually does.

My question is..do the really want to know?

And if not, what is the consequences for that?

Upvote 0

KatherineS

Jan 31, 2010
Washington, DC
✟5,152.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Friday afternoon on the bus after school, me and my friend were talking about the second coming of Christ, when I brought up I was Roman Catholic (Catechumen) she said " you Catholics don't believe in Jesus coming again, you believe in worshiping statues!" .... If you ask me, they are barring false witness against us, which is against the 7th commandment.

God Bless,
RomanRite

SHE might be bearing false witness. Taking her statement and applying it to others is also bearing false witness. You might want to edit your post.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JimR-OCDS

God Cannot Be Grasped, Except Through Love
Oct 28, 2008
The Kingdom of Heaven
Visit site
✟187,597.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

God Bless,
RomanRite

Indeed it is ignorance about Catholicism, but try to see their ignorance as their poverty, and treat them with compassion rather than returning hostility.

We Catholics are also guilty of spouting our own ignorance towards the religions of others, so we should be careful not to point fingers at those who don't understand us.

Remember, charity towards all.

Jim

Upvote 0

RomanRite

Roman Catholic - FSSP
Jun 2, 2012
✟15,922.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
SHE might be bearing false witness. Taking her statement and applying it to others is also bearing false witness. You might want to edit your post.

No need for me to edit, if I made a mistake then I made a mistake and I learn from them. But the fact she is twisting Catholic teaching is ignorance.

Upvote 0

cathoaholicliz

I have a W
Jan 2, 2013
Mississippi
✟17,139.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
No need for me to edit, if I made a mistake then I made a mistake and I learn from them. But the fact she is twisting Catholic teaching is ignorance.

KatherineS throws the word bigotry around for everything and everyone so her judgment on your words is almost meaningless. "Bigot" loses its meaning when KatherineS says it.

Most protestants I know think a lot like the girl at your school, Roman. So I think a lot of them are mistaken, mislead, or purposely hateful. Just ignore her and pray for her.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,671,195.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
KatherineS throws the word bigotry around for everything and everyone so her judgment on your words is almost meaningless. "Bigot" loses its meaning when KatherineS says it.

Most protestants I know think a lot like the girl at your school, Roman. So I think a lot of them are mistaken, mislead, or purposely hateful. Just ignore her and pray for her.
Pretty much.

Upvote 0

MKJ

Contributor
Jul 6, 2009
East
✟23,894.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Well, maybe she doesn't think you are a good source for info on what the Catholic Church believes. It isn't always the case that believers know a lot about their own religion, and it may be she thinks her source of information is solid.

It could be reasonable, from her POV, to thing a student in high school (if that is correct?) might know less than her parents or minister and whatever. You might take the same approach if one of your peers said something you had been told about religion by someone you trusted was untrue.

In any case, if she is a nice person, I'd jut let it pass. Correct wrong ideas when they come up, politely, and move on.

As Jim said, some Catholics say silly things about Protestant beliefs, or those of other groups, so best not to be too proud about such things.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Tallguy88

We shall see the King when he comes!
Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
✟240,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Hey guys, ease up on KatherineS. If she says something you don't like, mention it then. But don't bring it up in an unrelated thread that has nothing to do with your previous arguments.

It's just rude.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,671,195.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hey guys, ease up on KatherineS. If she says something you don't like, mention it then. But don't bring it up in an unrelated thread that has nothing to do with your previous arguments.

It's just rude.
Seriously? Have a talk with her then then. We can all play nice.

Upvote 0