Protestant Christianity has taught me hate. God to the rescue?

SamTeeJayKay

Sep 17, 2013
✟7,732.00
Country
Brazil
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-NDP
Back to Islam, they're on their knees seeking God, but sometimes it's hard to tell if it's mere ritual of devotion or earnestly seeking God.

What's interesting is seeing Muslims gathering for prayer at airports, with dozens and dozens of prayer rugs all spread out as they kneel to pray in a parking lot with planes flying but a few feet overhead.

I think Allah is an extremely oppressive god. With nearly 'human' characteristics! If one is unable to fast during Ramadan, they have to pay back afterwards. Jihadists are rewarded sexual pleasures with 32 virgins. It's as if the Muslims are following some psycho called Mohammed! I heard that Mohammed even married his aunt :/

Upvote 0

scraparcs

aka Mayor McCheese
Mar 4, 2002
Massachusetts
✟91,578.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I think Allah is an extremely oppressive god. With nearly 'human' characteristics! If one is unable to fast during Ramadan, they have to pay back afterwards. Jihadists are rewarded sexual pleasures with 32 virgins. It's as if the Muslims are following some psycho called Mohammed! I heard that Mohammed even married his aunt :/

I get the point, and to the best of my knowledge Muslim prayer areas at airports haven't been problematic.

Speaking of Ramadan, it's supposed to make a person grow closer to God, but it seems that it just makes Muslims grumpy, especially when fasting in extremely hot temperatures. How do you get closer to God when you're parched, hungry, and acting grumpy?

Upvote 0

scraparcs

aka Mayor McCheese
Mar 4, 2002
Massachusetts
✟91,578.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Hmm.Muslims are grumpy during Ramadan?How very tolerant of you.

Not all Muslims all the time, of course. When Ramadan falls during the summer in the hot, arid desert, it's advisable to tread gently during the day with Muslim friends and co-workers.

Upvote 0

SamTeeJayKay

Sep 17, 2013
✟7,732.00
Country
Brazil
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-NDP
Not all Muslims all the time, of course. When Ramadan falls during the summer in the hot, arid desert, it's advisable to tread gently during the day with Muslim friends and co-workers.

I've got a couple of Muslim classmates. But I don't really care about not eating or drinking in front of them. Sure they get a little grumpy, saying we are being 'inconsiderate'. But I tell them at the end of the day Ramadan is a test of their faith, not my tolerance. Haha a little bonus is that during Ramadan the queues in the canteen are shorter ^^

Upvote 0

MKJ

Contributor
Jul 6, 2009
East
✟23,894.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
I get the point, and to the best of my knowledge Muslim prayer areas at airports haven't been problematic.

Speaking of Ramadan, it's supposed to make a person grow closer to God, but it seems that it just makes Muslims grumpy, especially when fasting in extremely hot temperatures. How do you get closer to God when you're parched, hungry, and acting grumpy?

Fasting Christians can be pretty grumpy too. Fasting is a big part of Christianity as well as Islam.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

RocksInMyHead

God is innocent; Noah built on a floodplain!
May 12, 2011
PA
✟321,133.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
It's interesting to see you guys ganging up on Silvio over in the papal interview thread when his beliefs don't line up with Church teaching, but when gurney decides that he knows better on Islam, hardly anyone bats an eye.

Just wanted to make that observation.

Upvote 0

Tallguy88

We shall see the King when he comes!
Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
✟240,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
RocksInMyHead said:
It's interesting to see you guys ganging up on Silvio over in the papal interview thread when his beliefs don't line up with Church teaching, but when gurney decides that he knows better on Islam, hardly anyone bats an eye.

Just wanted to make that observation.

Gurney is not Catholic, so it's understandable that he would disagree with the CC on certain topics.

Upvote 0

MKJ

Contributor
Jul 6, 2009
East
✟23,894.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Gurney is not Catholic, so it's understandable that he would disagree with the CC on certain topics.

I would also say that I don't think anyone was ticked off with Silvio. Just surprised that as someone who had been Catholic all his life that particular topic had never come up. And there was a fair bit of confusion in the discussion before everyone figured out that was the reason.

Upvote 0

MikeK

Traditionalist Catholic
Feb 4, 2004
Wisconsin
✟90,821.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I would also say that I don't think anyone was ticked off with Silvio. Just surprised that as someone who had been Catholic all his life that particular topic had never come up. And there was a fair bit of confusion in the discussion before everyone figured out that was the reason.

Also, several posters were intent on being jerks.

Upvote 0

MKJ

Contributor
Jul 6, 2009
East
✟23,894.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Also, several posters were intent on being jerks.

I didn't particularly get that impression.

However.

People get ticked I think sometimes when someone seems to be saying that a particular approach is what the CC teaches, or what Christianity teaches, when it isn't, and they think the person knows better.

I don't usually think that is a reason to get ticked, but I think I understand why they do. They think it is disingenuous.

It may be that a few people thought that was the case in this instance. As it turned out, it wasn't the case at all.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

MikeK

Traditionalist Catholic
Feb 4, 2004
Wisconsin
✟90,821.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I didn't particularly get that impression.

It's just silly to compare sins.

Seriously? Have you been Catholic all your life?

He is Irish liberal, EU , GFA pro-Britain Catholic. One must understand that these types are totally coopted by the narrative they are taught.

Ooooo third time you get your knuckles rapped?

the above in direct response to a respectful "Please tone it down. This is my second time asking..."

Oh. So it's hot air. OK. Got it.

Upvote 0

MKJ

Contributor
Jul 6, 2009
East
✟23,894.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
the above in direct response to a respectful "Please tone it down. This is my second time asking..."

I don't really see it as offensive for someone to say it is silly to compare sins. To say only an idiot would do it would be offensive, but not just silly.

The knuckle rapping conversation was two ways and was all round silly. It involved people all round getting sensitive about what they were reading.

The asking if he had always been Catholic was a real question in a way - no different than if someone who was a cradle Catholic said he didn't know about the Incarnation, and someone said, really, I cannot figure out how that could happen, how did you never hear about that?

The pro-Britian thing was rude and jerkish though. And doesn't really make sense.

Upvote 0
K

KeenanParkerII

Wow, I came here to comment on the OP's post and some of the sentiments in this thread.. As per usual, there is something completely different being debated further on. :D

Anyways, I am very happy for OP. I had the same experience when I converted to Catholicism of law, of equity. I suddenly felt very charitable to everyone around me, even at the grocery store.

However, I agree with the sentiments of many of the posters here. False religions are of Satan. Any truth they hold is from God alone. There is nothing wrong with despising the works of evil.

Reactions: WarriorAngel
Upvote 0

Edward65

Feb 11, 2013
✟965.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Who first claimed that "being saved by faith ALONE" is to be believed?

Janice

Paul taught justification through faith alone because it's the teaching of Scripture. He taught this with reference to Abraham and David:

[4:1] What then shall we say was gained by Abraham, our forefather according to the flesh? [2] For if Abraham was justified by works, he has something to boast about, but not before God. [3] For what does the Scripture say? “Abraham believed God, and it was counted to him as righteousness.” [4] Now to the one who works, his wages are not counted as a gift but as his due. [5] And to the one who does not work but believes in him who justifies the ungodly, his faith is counted as righteousness, [6] just as David also speaks of the blessing of the one to whom God counts righteousness apart from works:
[7] “Blessed are those whose lawless deeds are forgiven,
and whose sins are covered;
[8] blessed is the man against whom the Lord will not count his sin.”
(Romans 4:1-8 ESV)

Somebody said that Baptism and repentance are also necessary in order to be saved but these are only of value if they are done in faith. If one doesn't have faith in Christ then being baptised and being repentant won't save a person. Salvation is through faith alone as Martin Luther rightly taught. One can't earn salvation through works.

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Protestant Christianity has taught me hate. God to the rescue?
I'm very outspoken about hating Islam and many other religions.

But something happened to me today.

I saw a group of Muslims praying on their knees. There was something enchanting about them; I couldn't look away; they were echanted; I was enchanted. I watched them smiling. I watched them intimately seeking God. It was clear to me that they knew at least some truth.

Why do I hate other religions so much, like Islam? Before I became a Christian I just thought of it as another religion, no different than Christianity. I'm ashamed to say it, but my hate comes from what I've heard, been told, and taught within Christianity --- Protestant Christianity; just as I once hated Catholicism, a religion I felt no real ill will towards, until it was taught to me by Protestantism. I have since looked at Catholicism in a different light for quite some time now, of course.

So I guess the point of the thread is that it's quite sad that I've learned hate from Christianity, but I think God might have rescued me from this today, and in the process shown me the love of Christ within Catholicism .
I used to hate Muslims too (after 9/11 especially.) But as I studied more of what Catholicism taught about other faiths, I mellowed and realized that the Holy Spirit could be working on them in his own time.
It's OK to hate a religion, just not the people who follow it.
I'm going to have to disagree with that. Hate is not from God.
Neither are false religions.
You can't control false religions, but you can accept the Devil's hate or God's love into your heart.
QFT! :amen:

copyChkboxOff.gif
Zec 8:17
Let none of you think evil in your heart against your neighbor; And do not love a false oath.
For all these are things that I hate,'Says the LORD.”

copyChkboxOff.gif
Mat 5:
43 “You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.'
44 But I say to you, love your enemies! bless those who curse you!, do good to those who hate you,
and pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you"

Upvote 0