Sydney, NSW
✟42,787.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Will works save you?
Combined with faith, yes.

Look at the passage regarding separating the sheep from the goats. Just before that Jesus says things along the lines of "When I was hungry, you did not feed me" and "When I was in prison, you did not visit me".

Protestants keep ripping things apart - the bible from tradition and faith from works.

Upvote 0

BloodyRachel

May 10, 2011
✟599.00
Faith
Protestant
Politics
US-Republican
Combined with faith, yes.

Look at the passage regarding separating the sheep from the goats. Just before that Jesus says things along the lines of "When I was hungry, you did not feed me" and "When I was in prison, you did not visit me".

Protestants keep ripping things apart - the bible from tradition and faith from works.

I haven't ripped things apart. I'm a faithful servant of God. That's why I say FAITH ALONE.

Upvote 0

Rdr Iakovos

Nov 4, 2004
Funkytown
✟8,010.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Republican
I haven't ripped things apart. I'm a faithful servant of God. That's why I say FAITH ALONE.
As a fathful servant, I presume that you clothe the naked, feed the hungry, and visit the imprisoned (Matt 25) so that your faith is not dead (James(.

A faithful servant works, don't they.

Upvote 0

Montalban

Jan 20, 2004
Sydney, NSW
✟42,787.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

Not all who cry "Lord!" "Lord!" will be saved but those that do his will! (Matthew 7:21-22)

Jesus judges us by what we do (as I noted earlier re: feeding the hungry).

Even the demons of the air believe and tremble (James 2:19).

Upvote 0

Montalban

Jan 20, 2004
Sydney, NSW
✟42,787.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
As a fathful servant, I presume that you clothe the naked, feed the hungry, and visit the imprisoned (Matt 25) so that your faith is not dead (James).

A faithful servant works, don't they.

They keep on making false dichotomies.

Upvote 0

OpenDoor

Faith + Hope + Love
Apr 17, 2007
✟10,786.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
What was the Jewish perspective of the NT writers? Do you think they rebelled against God by writing in Greek?
The NT was in Greek because it was for all people, not just Jews.

Edit- God does not think in Greek or Hebrew. He uses language to communicate with His people. Using Greek (the common language at the time) shows that God was reaching out to everyone.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

VolRaider

Dec 18, 2010
Athens, TN
✟18,188.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
When was the Protestant canon form/formalised? And, by whom?

Hard to reallly lump all Protestants together. Heck, I don't really even consider myself a hard-core Protestant - agree more with your denomination than the Baptists! My pastor does not even consider us Protestants - more like a branch of Anglicanism.

Some Protestants outright reject the Apocrypha. However, others -while not formally recognizing it - still use it from time to time. We have a large Bible outside the doors of one of our sanctuaries that contains the Apocrypha. So it's kinda hard to say what a "Protestant" canon is.

Some Protestants also adhere to the King James Version only. The UMC and Anglican Communion are not like this.

Upvote 0

Rdr Iakovos

Nov 4, 2004
Funkytown
✟8,010.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Republican
We keep facing false accusations.
Who has accused you- and of what?

Do we accuse by citing the scripture- the very words we agree upon?
Is it or is it not written that we shall be judged by our works?
As a faithful servant of God, you do the works He commanded.

Alone is an addition. What was written is sufficient. We are saved by the Faith OF Christ. Faith or works?

Neither.
and both.

Upvote 0

BloodyRachel

May 10, 2011
✟599.00
Faith
Protestant
Politics
US-Republican
Who has accused you- and of what?

Do we accuse by citing the scripture- the very words we agree upon?
Is it or is it not written that we shall be judged by our works?
As a faithful servant of God, you do the works He commanded.

Alone is an addition. What was written is sufficient. We are saved by the Faith OF Christ. Faith or works?

Neither.
and both.

I think you've accused us of preaching a different Gospel.

Upvote 0

Rdr Iakovos

Nov 4, 2004
Funkytown
✟8,010.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Republican
I think you've accused us of preaching a different Gospel.
Not at all.
Do you disagree with my last post?

I think we agree, and you guys get your fur ruffled cuz we point out where Luther launched an error to combat a Latin medeival Pelagian Indulgence focus.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

BloodyRachel

May 10, 2011
✟599.00
Faith
Protestant
Politics
US-Republican
Not at all.
Do you disagree with my last post?

I think we agree, and you guys get your fur ruffled cuz we point out where Luther launched an error to combat a Latin medeival Pelagian Indulgence focus.

No. I agree that we do works, but we aren't saved by them. Only the blood of Christ can save us.

Upvote 0

Rdr Iakovos

Nov 4, 2004
Funkytown
✟8,010.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Republican
No. I agree that we do works, but we aren't saved by them. Only the blood of Christ can save us.
The scripture says we are saved by the faith of Christ. But if you insist that it the Blood, fine. Then our faith or works are not worth debating or hair-splitting. We must have both.

Upvote 0

BloodyRachel

May 10, 2011
✟599.00
Faith
Protestant
Politics
US-Republican
The scripture says we are saved by the faith of Christ. But if you insist that it the Blood, fine. Then our faith or works are not worth debating or hair-splitting. We must have both.

I thought the faith of Christ was the blood. He had faith enough for the cross.

Yes, Christians must have both faith and works. This doesn't mean faith alone suffers.

Upvote 0

Rick Otto

The Dude Abides
Nov 19, 2002
On The Prairie
✟29,593.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
They keep accusing us of evil just because we believe in faith alone. Does this seem Godly?
To me it just seems like they use the fruit of faith as the measure of salvation - a thing beyond measure if not beyond hope. Then having quantified salvation (instead of seperating the rewards IN heaven from the unmerited mercy of admission therein) they institutionaly by policy 'make merchandise' of God's word, ie. reward for performance instead of unmerited mercy out of compassion.
But that's just my totaly unsuported by any of the 'various orthodoxies' (itself a contradiction in terms) opinion. Sadly. many "reformed" (protestant) churches have reverted to the free will/works equation as well, most knowing nothing of Pelagius & his theory that man's will was unaffected by Adam's sin & we have the redeeming characteristic of freedom to choose to love, believe, & obey God. None of which is possible until He has saved us by His mercy as far as I can tell from 1Cor2:14: ] But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.

Upvote 0

Rick Otto

The Dude Abides
Nov 19, 2002
On The Prairie
✟29,593.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It'd be mighty wide of ya to at least give us the address of the scripture you refer to instead of leaving us to to do a word search to guess which one you are referring to.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.