• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Propranolol

gerbilwoman

Gerbil Queen
Supporter
Jun 9, 2014
USA
✟433,432.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Does anyone take Propranolol for high blood pressure? How much do you take? The reason I ask is because I was just put on it for social anxiety. However, I have a normal blood pressure and am kind of worried it will drop too low. Doctor said to take up to 10 mg twice a day, which she said was a low dose. I'm kind of just wondering what a normal dose is for high blood pressure, maybe if I realized 10 mg was really a low dose I wouldn't be so worried. Thanks.

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Does anyone take Propranolol for high blood pressure? How much do you take? The reason I ask is because I was just put on it for social anxiety. However, I have a normal blood pressure and am kind of worried it will drop too low. Doctor said to take up to 10 mg twice a day, which she said was a low dose. I'm kind of just wondering what a normal dose is for high blood pressure, maybe if I realized 10 mg was really a low dose I wouldn't be so worried. Thanks.
I would not worry; if the doc said would be useful.

I did take it; I take something similar; though not for anxiety. I've had high blood pressure for years; and a long term means to control blood pressure can be very useful.

Reactions: gerbilwoman
Upvote 0

Murby

Feb 4, 2016
USA
✟4,630.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
I would not worry; if the doc said would be useful.

That is very bad advice. Just because the doc said so, does not make it so....

Every patient should know exactly what their doctor is doing and the details of why they are doing it. Every patient has a responsibility to work with their doctor to achieve the best outcome.. This means asking questions, researching, and understanding what the doctor is saying and why.. and then using the knowledge you have gained to provide the doctor with a feedback loop..

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
That is very bad advice. Just because the doc said so, does not make it so....

Every patient should know exactly what their doctor is doing and the details of why they are doing it. Every patient has a responsibility to work with their doctor to achieve the best outcome.. This means asking questions, researching, and understanding what the doctor is saying and why.. and then using the knowledge you have gained to provide the doctor with a feedback loop..
What I guess I mean is that as regards taking a med or not, a doctor's advice is essential.

I would not stop taking a med when a doctor has put me on it.

Upvote 0

Murby

Feb 4, 2016
USA
✟4,630.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married

Propranolol is a beta blocker, it stops you from getting "revved up" and excited. Beta blockers are usually given to people who have had heart attacks as it keeps them calmed down.

It wouldn't be my first choice to control anxiety.. but I'm no doctor either.. I was on beta blockers for 5 years and stopped taking them because even though the side effects were minor, they added up.

Anxiety is an issue with the brain and perceptions... I would suggest you work with your doctor to look for more placid means of control rather than a chemical take over.

Reactions: Alyssa12
Upvote 0

Murby

Feb 4, 2016
USA
✟4,630.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
I would not stop taking a med when a doctor has put me on it.
I would certainly agree with this statement.. But would add that the patient should do their own homework as well.. Sometimes doctors can get a bit lazy.. its the "got a problem, take a pill" approach so they can get to the next patient.

I think the original poster is on the right track as they are asking questions.. keep asking them, review information online and find out everything you can about the drug and your condition.. always look at alternatives from other drugs to natural remedies.

Upvote 0

Murby

Feb 4, 2016
USA
✟4,630.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
I've been on bp tablets for years. A lot of ppl are, actually.
I was on them too.. In my specific case, I discovered that cutting out all sugar out of my diet lowered not only my cholesterol by almost 40%, but dropped my blood pressure to normal limits without the drugs.

Upvote 0

Murby

Feb 4, 2016
USA
✟4,630.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Yes, sugar is an issue. A rather big one, in fact.
You need to cut out all sugars AND grains..
Eliminate most, but not all, starches from your diet, and most certainly all foods with added sugars. Treat fruit juices like the toxic poisons they are... but you can always eat as much whole fruit as you like.

Learn about the 50+ names for sugar and learn to recognize them on food labels and avoid them. Within three months, you'll notice a difference and you'll fee better.

DO NOT attempt to replace sugars with sugar substitutes.. that's bad too.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums