Sep 6, 2004
My heart is in Hong Kong...
Visit site
✟11,148.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
I've had other Christians recommend some prophetic worship songs by the following artists:

Misty Edwards
Jason Upton
Don Potter
Joann McFatter
Keith and Sanna Luker
Julaine Christenson

I've checked out some of the lyrics and to be honest, I cannot tell the difference between prophetic songs and other worship songs. How does the Christian music industry decide who to classify under prophetic music? Does it not lie with the listener? In other words, if the lyrics speak to you, then it's prophetic? Why put certain artists under the label "prophetic artists"?

Thoughts?

flaglady

Site Supporter
Jul 12, 2005
✟64,796.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Private
Interesting question.

I know that the use of flags in worship is sometimes referred to as "prophetic warfare" and can only infer from that that it means the worship is working on a spiritual level rather than an earthly one.

Perhaps that's what is meant.

Upvote 0

talitha

Cultivate Honduras
Nov 5, 2004
Tegucigalpa, Honduras
Visit site
✟22,601.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Prophetic music is a big part of what I do in ministry, and it's one of my favorite subjects, so I'm glad you brought this up. (I think I suggested to you all but one of those singers. :))

One of the main things that makes music "prophetic" is that it's often spontaneously inspired. The singers are singing either what they see in the spirit, what the Lord moves them to sing from His heart, or what their heart wants to sing in response to the way His presence is manifesting in worship. But not all prophetic music is spontaneous. Just as the Lord might give a speaker a prophetic message to deliver, and then send him, so He might give a singer a prophetic song to deliver, and then send him. Prophetic music has power / "anointing" in it.

If you're very interested in the subject, I'd like to suggest two books - one long and the other very short, both downloadable for free from the ministry sites of the respective authors -- Prophet Musician, by Stephen Bennett (see awesomecitymusic.com) Tabernacle of David, by William H. Hopper (the short one - google it.).

bless you big
tal

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟839,321.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Prophetic music can be defined as the type of Christian worship music that frees up worship to activate the prophetic to operate freely in a church meeting. Often after prophetic music, faith is generated in people and they are more free to give tongues messages, interpretations and prophecies in a meeting. These then lead to other prophetic acts like healing and deliverance where the Holy Spirit points out people whom He is going to heal and set free.

The difference between prophetic music and ordinary worship music is in the attitude of the music leaders. Those with little insight into prophetic music will be unable to minister in this way. Of course, people who engage in prophetic music have to be open to the flow of the Holy Spirit. A 'professional' music group who have pre planned their music and songs before the service would find it hard to change gears if the Holy Spirit wanted them to do something different to their planning. This is the problem, isn't it? Much of our music in church is so controlled by the people in charge of it, the Holy Spirit doesn't get much of a chance to do what He wants. In an environment like that, there would be no prophetic music, and therefore a tool that could be used to encourage the flow of the prophetic in a meeting would be missing.

When we define the prophetic as God speaking to us, then being prophetically minded in a meeting means that people are open to the voice of God and are prepared to adapt themselves to what the Holy Spirit says even if it means totally changing the ordered programme. Therefore, leaders who doggedly keep to the ordered programme no matter what, may be in a position where they may be seen as resisting the flow of the Holy Spirit, and quenching Him when He wants to minister to people. That would mean then that many people who could have been touched by God miss out on that because of the inflexibility of meeting leaders who have little insight into God's plans and purposes, and how the Holy Spirit operates in the meeting.

So, we need to be more aware of what God is saying to the church. This is what John discovered as he went through the experiences described in the Book of Revelation. "Those with ears to hear, hear what God is saying to the churches..." It was applicable in John's day, and it is very applicable in these days where large areas of the Pentecostal and Charismatic church is moving away from the prophetic, and moving into formalism, where there is the form of godliness but the power of it is missing.

This is a lesson to us that we must heed if we are to continue walking within God's plans and purposes for us.

Reactions: Glenda
Upvote 0

Glenda

More, Lord.. More of You..
Sep 22, 2005
United States
Visit site
✟76,316.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Very, very well-said, Oscarr! :)

Once you've experienced prophetic worship, it's hard to deal with the stiff, programmed stuff, even if it's "contemporary".

blessings
tal
This is so true..

Brian & Jenn Johnson (Bill Johnson's son) led worship at a conference I was at.. their music was prophetic.. awesome.. annointed..

The stuff coming out of IHOP is very good.. I have one CD called Some Trust in Chariots by Todd Ganovski is terrific.. also Dwayne Robert's Apostolic Prayers are very good..

Add Julie Meyers to your list too.. *smile*

Upvote 0

flaglady

Site Supporter
Jul 12, 2005
✟64,796.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Private
Oh wow, Oscarr, you just described exactly how I do my flag worship!

When I take up a flag, often as not, I let my hand hover over the collection of my flags (about 8 or 9 different colours) and see which ones the Spirit will have me take up. So often the colours are exactly right for the song though I never know which songs are on the list.

Other times, I stand ready with the flags waiting for the music to begin only to find it's a song I've never heard before. Now anybody who has read my blog will know that that's the time the Holy Spirit really takes charge and gives me either a new move or a new routine but often both!

I have been asked by the team to join them in rehearsals but I won't because my worship depends upon absolute spontaneity and being at rehearsals would rob me of that.

But when it comes it's a wonderful experience and really brings the Spirit into the meeting.

Upvote 0

Godslilgurlalways

I am a Child of the King:)
Site Supporter
Oct 19, 2005
Earth now heaven later
✟67,365.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Prophetic music can be defined as the type of Christian worship music that frees up worship to activate the prophetic to operate freely in a church meeting. Often after prophetic music, faith is generated in people and they are more free to give tongues messages, interpretations and prophecies in a meeting. These then lead to other prophetic acts like healing and deliverance where the Holy Spirit points out people whom He is going to heal and set free.

The difference between prophetic music and ordinary worship music is in the attitude of the music leaders. Those with little insight into prophetic music will be unable to minister in this way. Of course, people who engage in prophetic music have to be open to the flow of the Holy Spirit. A 'professional' music group who have pre planned their music and songs before the service would find it hard to change gears if the Holy Spirit wanted them to do something different to their planning. This is the problem, isn't it? Much of our music in church is so controlled by the people in charge of it, the Holy Spirit doesn't get much of a chance to do what He wants. In an environment like that, there would be no prophetic music, and therefore a tool that could be used to encourage the flow of the prophetic in a meeting would be missing.

When we define the prophetic as God speaking to us, then being prophetically minded in a meeting means that people are open to the voice of God and are prepared to adapt themselves to what the Holy Spirit says even if it means totally changing the ordered programme. Therefore, leaders who doggedly keep to the ordered programme no matter what, may be in a position where they may be seen as resisting the flow of the Holy Spirit, and quenching Him when He wants to minister to people. That would mean then that many people who could have been touched by God miss out on that because of the inflexibility of meeting leaders who have little insight into God's plans and purposes, and how the Holy Spirit operates in the meeting.

So, we need to be more aware of what God is saying to the church. This is what John discovered as he went through the experiences described in the Book of Revelation. "Those with ears to hear, hear what God is saying to the churches..." It was applicable in John's day, and it is very applicable in these days where large areas of the Pentecostal and Charismatic church is moving away from the prophetic, and moving into formalism, where there is the form of godliness but the power of it is missing.

This is a lesson to us that we must heed if we are to continue walking within God's plans and purposes for us.
Agreed,

I have realized that those songs (Prophetic Songs) Impacted my life so much. I have found some sounds that have so much of anointing.

Some Like

Tye Tribbett & Greater Anointing (Name says it all)
Shekinah Glory(Live Abum) (Name says it all)
Men of Standard (Surrounded Abulm)
Juanita Bynum (A piece of my passion abulm)

Upvote 0

The Princess Bride

Legend
Site Supporter
May 2, 2005
Georgia
✟69,826.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Very, very well-said, Oscarr! :)

Once you've experienced prophetic worship, it's hard to deal with the stiff, programmed stuff, even if it's "contemporary".

blessings
tal
A-M-E-N! :amen:

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟839,321.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Oh wow, Oscarr, you just described exactly how I do my flag worship!

When I take up a flag, often as not, I let my hand hover over the collection of my flags (about 8 or 9 different colours) and see which ones the Spirit will have me take up. So often the colours are exactly right for the song though I never know which songs are on the list.

Other times, I stand ready with the flags waiting for the music to begin only to find it's a song I've never heard before. Now anybody who has read my blog will know that that's the time the Holy Spirit really takes charge and gives me either a new move or a new routine but often both!

I have been asked by the team to join them in rehearsals but I won't because my worship depends upon absolute spontaneity and being at rehearsals would rob me of that.

But when it comes it's a wonderful experience and really brings the Spirit into the meeting.

I think what you do is Prophetic Demonstration. You can find an article on this that may be of interest to you, and will confirm what you are doing admirably.

Here is the link:
http://www.gospel.org.nz/FreeArticles/Article44.htm

I hope it is a help to you.

Reactions: NorwayUnn
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SpiritPsalmist

Heavy lean toward Messianic
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Prophetic music is usually composed "on the spot". None of it is pre-planned.

One of the experiences I had was one service it was just the worship leader/keyboardest and me. He was playing the keyboard and I could hear the spirit singing a melody and some words. The words, to me sounded so simplified and they were repeatative. I resisted (my own fear of sounding stupid :doh:) but the Spirit was very persistent. Finely I stepped out and began to sing what I was hearing and as I sang I began to see it as well. It was pretty cool.

Frequently for me, the words will also rhyme...thats cool too. If you ever get the opportunity to hear Clarice Fluitt you would likely like her. She'll be preaching and go off into song and her serman for the next 30 or more minutes will be entirely in song and rhymes. It's not pre-planned.

Upvote 0

flaglady

Site Supporter
Jul 12, 2005
✟64,796.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Private
I think what you do is Prophetic Demonstration. You can find an article on this that may be of interest to you, and will confirm what you are doing admirably.

Here is the link:
http://www.gospel.org.nz/FreeArticles/Article44.htm

I hope it is a help to you.

A help!?! It was amazing! Thank you sooooo much Oscarr for that. I wept as I read it. So many times I have wanted to wave flags over people when they were being prayed for, or to drape a certain colour over them. But because I didn't understand it, I didn't act.

Things just might be different now.

Upvote 0

J4Jesus

MY HEART BELONGS TO JESUS
Oct 22, 2005
✟54,260.00
Faith
Word of Faith
I've had other Christians recommend some prophetic worship songs by the following artists:

Misty Edwards
Jason Upton
Don Potter
Joann McFatter
Keith and Sanna Luker
Julaine Christenson

I've checked out some of the lyrics and to be honest, I cannot tell the difference between prophetic songs and other worship songs. How does the Christian music industry decide who to classify under prophetic music? Does it not lie with the listener? In other words, if the lyrics speak to you, then it's prophetic? Why put certain artists under the label "prophetic artists"?

Thoughts?
It's not determined by the listener, but rather how the person wrote the song. If they decide to sit down and try to write a song, that is entirely different than if I let the Lord sing and play through me and don't know what I am going to sing, similar to when a person recieves a prophecy, message in tongues. or the interpretation . So it's how the song was recieved if it was prophetic.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ahmunmun

聖戰武士
Sep 6, 2004
My heart is in Hong Kong...
Visit site
✟11,148.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Also it has a different sound, style, and also a different kind of anointing.

So I hear, but like I said in my OP, I still cannot identify the difference between prophetic music and regular praise music. It's only because the Christian music industry puts certain artists under the "prophetic music" label, that I know some music are supposed to be prophetic.

Do you listen to Misty Edwards? Let's use her as an example because I just finished listening to her CD. Can you tell me how you would be able to identify that her music is prophetic? Thanks.

Upvote 0

riverpastor

Take the Red Pill.
Mar 23, 2004
Ft. Worth
✟20,727.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
So I hear, but like I said in my OP, I still cannot identify the difference between prophetic music and regular praise music. It's only because the Christian music industry puts certain artists under the "prophetic music" label, that I know some music are supposed to be prophetic.

Do you listen to Misty Edwards? Let's use her as an example because I just finished listening to her CD. Can you tell me how you would be able to identify that her music is prophetic? Thanks.

ahmunmun,

I don't know of Misty Edwards either. But I have listened quite a bit to Jason Upton.

As talitha stated, prophetic music is basically a "bringing forth" of what is seen and heard in the Spirit at the time the musician is playing it live. So, musicians play prophetically, and it is recorded, but it is not a genre of music necessarily.

It's not so much a genre of music as it seems you are questioning it, but it is a movement in music that is inspired by the Lord at the time that it is given. It's like hearing a prophecy that was recorded somewhere during a church service. It was given to the hearers at the time that it was delivered, and it was prophecy, but it may or may not strike a chord in your heart as you listen to it on CD or tape.

When I play guitar, I may have a basic riff or certain melodies that I will play... but I will not begin to sing until I see what the Father is showing to me in the Spirit.

Once, leading worship in church, I played for a minute or two - just a basic melody without words. As I closed my eyes and prayed, "Lord, what do you want to sing over your children this morning?" Immediately, I had a vision of Jesus in the heavenlies - He was wearing a long robe - but suddenly He smiled with a huge grin and grabbed the longest section of his robe so as not to tangle his feet and He began to dance madly. I heard the Father say, "I am dancing over you with joy." For the first couple of minutes, I couldn't help but laugh at seeing this love and joy that Jesus had while He was dancing over His children.

Then, I simply began to sing what I had seen in the vision.

Later, my wife came to me and told me that earlier that week (without telling me anything about it) that she had been praying and asking the Lord if He danced over us with joy?

The Lord answered in song!

Sometimes these songs are a narration of what is seen in the Spirit... sometimes they are sung from the Lord's perspective.

As you sit at the piano, try asking the Lord to do the same with you. Just ask Him what He wants to share with His children... then wait for Him to show you or speak to you - then begin to sing what you hear and see. He longs to speak to us and He's never short on words. It is His good pleasure to give us the Kingdom.

Upvote 0

talitha

Cultivate Honduras
Nov 5, 2004
Tegucigalpa, Honduras
Visit site
✟22,601.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
long time no see, RP! ((((huggs))))

I recently had an experience much like what you describe here.... There was a worship time when I wasn't on the platform, and had a vision of - well, it was like the Prodigal son, and I knew that the older man represented the Heavenly Father, running out to meet his repentant child. I began by singing what I saw, and then as I was singing this, the song of the Father's heart came to me, and I knew I was to sing this on-mike. I approached my pastor and told him I had a song, and he handed me his mike. The song was a very simple refrain:

Nothing can take you away
From My love

and then there were verses that got more specific, concerning what people were dealing with that was keeping them from running into His arms.....

such a wonderful time of ministry followed.......

to Him be the glory and the honor......
tal

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.