Colorado
✟16,422.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
So my boyfriend and I are pretty serious, and both want to be with eachother, like ya know, forever. I really want promise rings, but I don't think he's thought about them. I am very sad because my younger sister has only been going out with her boyfriend for a few months and they're already getting promise rings, but I've been with my boyfriend for almost a year and we've never discussed it.
How do I ask about it? I don't want to seem pushy or clingy or weird, but I don't know if he even knows what promise rings are. I also don't want to make him uncomfortable. Please help :/

thehehe

Oct 19, 2015
France
✟127,953.00
Country
France
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Welcome here, you will enjoy this place ;)
I am not familiar at all with promise rings (pre-engagement rings for what I just read..?)
Let's be honest: yes, I quite find it weird to promise to each other for life at only 16. I truly think it is not a good idea. I mean, you are so young, you still have so much to learn and to do - do you really want to be stuck with the same person for the rest of your life? Are you really ready for such a thing, are you really ready to renounce to your independance only to never live on your own? I highly doubt you could totally answer yes: because to renounce to your independance by promising yourself to someone, you would have to know and experience life as a real adult living from her own salary, with her own place etc. So may I ask this? Why do you deeply want a promise ring? I don't mean that you are not fond of your boyfriend or anything (it is not to me to judge this, but to you), but why NOW? Why is that so important? If you want to be with him forever, then let things go rather than trying to force things by giving them too much importance at the wrong moment. Let both of you free, and when the moment will come -if it does come-, as adults who know what they are doing and who they are, then you could freely fix it. Currently, I really think it is way too early and a bit unhealthy: if you really consider promising yourself now, it perhaps means that you cannot think of yourself on your own and perhaps want to exist by someone else's eyes.

Now, I don't want to make you feel uncomfortable and I hope I did not. Spend a nice day anyway, nice to see you around!

Upvote 0