Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
In a development in the case of Father George Rutler, the prominent priest-author-commentator released the following statement a few days ago to LifeSiteNews.com and other Catholic media outlets:

• I want to express my gratitude to the many people who have written to me and offered their support over these last seven months.

After having diligently and thoroughly examined [the] accusations, the Manhattan District Attorney has stated that he is not going forward against me.

September 8, the Feast of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary, will be the 40th anniversary of my ordination as a Catholic priest by the Servant of God Terence Cardinal Cooke. I cherish my years of service. Please continue your prayers that the Lord may lead us all to trust in His Providence.
The case was covered late last year by various media outlets, including The New York Times.

The Archdiocese of New York’s communications office has not yet responded to my request for a statement on the matter.

I asked Rutler in an email if he thought the archdiocese would reinstate him to public ministry. He responded: “I am more than a year past retirement age and so I expect to retire.”

Prominent priest says he won’t be charged with assault