WS
✟278,556.00
Country
Brazil
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Programming with Microsoft Access as I am a Lab Technician.

Access is a fantastic database tool, for small size needs. It has everything you'd need (for small projects). I like it a lot.
Sadly, its popularity has plunged so much in the last 10 years, due to the rising of web technology.

Reactions: Jeremy J
Upvote 0

pgp_protector

Noted strange person
Dec 17, 2003
Earth For Now
Visit site
✟393,563.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Access is a fantastic database tool, for small size needs. It has everything you'd need (for small projects). I like it a lot.
Sadly, its popularity has plunged so much in the last 10 years, due to the rising of web technology.
I remember (about 10 years ago) I was at a Release of one of the new versions of office, and the MS Rep was saying Access is only good for recipes. :D (Even MS didn't care for Access)
Used it at one of my previous jobs to track repairs and logging of orders, but if was a finicky beast that would end up corrupting way too much data for my taste.

Upvote 0

rockytopva

Love to pray! :)
Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,065,525.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
With a knowledge of VB, DAO, and SQL there is very little you cannot do with a Microsoft Access database. When I "SendMail" I do it with VB, SQL, html and the CCS's to put together some wonderful and professional looking emails.

Reactions: Jeremy J
Upvote 0

Tomm

Christian
Site Supporter
Jan 30, 2007
WS
✟278,556.00
Country
Brazil
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
With a knowledge of VB, DAO, and SQL there is very little you cannot do with a Microsoft Access database. When I "SendMail" I do it with VB, SQL, html and the CCS's to put together some wonderful and professional looking emails.

Yes, agree. :)

Access, although it's getting less popular, is getting more and more professional with its later versions. Access 2010 even allows you to create table level macros, which function similarly to triggers in SQL databases (e.g. SQL server).

Upvote 0

Jeremy J

Nov 25, 2015
New Jersey
Visit site
✟16,485.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I am a new member and was kind of excited to see this interest group / club :) I'm somewhere in between computer geek and math nerd. PhD was in computer science, but my programming skills could use some work. :)
Katiejean, that's so cool! I am so glad that you joined this site and found us!

I have only been programming for a few years, but I love it. Started with VB and C++. I did a semester of assembly programming on a 16-bit machine simulator called LC3. That was really fun. Now, I've been working with Java for about 6 months. I really enjoy math as well!

It's great to meet people with common interests. That's what this group is all about.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

mattador

Apr 11, 2016
Southampton, England
✟15,161.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Conservative
Hi all - nice to meet you.

I just joined the site. I am a programmer, got my first Dev job at the start of the year after working various support roles for 5 years whilst I studied for my BSc.

I work with C# (also ASP.NET, JavaScript, jQuery, SQL etc) but have done Java and Android native coding in my degree.

I am enjoying programming for a living after not being sure I would ever be able to break in at 33 (34 now).

Cheers
Matt

Reactions: elytron
Upvote 0

Tomm

Christian
Site Supporter
Jan 30, 2007
WS
✟278,556.00
Country
Brazil
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Hi all - nice to meet you.

I just joined the site. I am a programmer, got my first Dev job at the start of the year after working various support roles for 5 years whilst I studied for my BSc.

I work with C# (also ASP.NET, JavaScript, jQuery, SQL etc) but have done Java and Android native coding in my degree.

I am enjoying programming for a living after not being sure I would ever be able to break in at 33 (34 now).

Cheers
Matt

Welcome, Matt.
It's not too late to start programming career at that age; in fact, I started at similar age as you.

• Friendly
Reactions: Doctor.Sphinx
Upvote 0

mattador

Apr 11, 2016
Southampton, England
✟15,161.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Conservative
I do like a challenge :)

It's nice to be doing something that I love for a job. For almost a decade I worked as an insurance claim handler because I didn't know what I wanted to do and it was "a steady job". I always loved computers but the UK school system was not great at teaching IT in an inspiring way in the 80s/90s or at least my primary/secondary schools weren't.

I think it's a lot better now though, my 11 yo Nephew has done a bit of programming on a Raspberry Pi at school which is quite cool - at least it gives those with the predisposition the chance to get hooked!

Upvote 0

dysert

Feb 29, 2012
USA
✟112,984.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I do like a challenge :)

It's nice to be doing something that I love for a job. For almost a decade I worked as an insurance claim handler because I didn't know what I wanted to do and it was "a steady job". I always loved computers but the UK school system was not great at teaching IT in an inspiring way in the 80s/90s or at least my primary/secondary schools weren't.

I think it's a lot better now though, my 11 yo Nephew has done a bit of programming on a Raspberry Pi at school which is quite cool - at least it gives those with the predisposition the chance to get hooked!
I remember a time like that. My first "real" program was on a TI-59 (a programmable calculator). I programmed it to play tic-tack-toe. And it never lost :).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

elytron

Oct 5, 2008
California
✟290,767.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hello everyone. Would it be okay for me to join this club? Though I have not mastered a programming language, I desire to learn. Currently am reading a book on Python. I love to create things, so I find this all very interesting.

I am 31 years old, so starting way late in life. Doubt anyone would hire me, so I learn as a hobby. Would love to create a useful, Linux desktop application. Of some type. Or possibly fork some abandoned open source project. Hopefully someday will be able to.

Upvote 0

Tomm

Christian
Site Supporter
Jan 30, 2007
WS
✟278,556.00
Country
Brazil
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Hello everyone. Would it be okay for me to join this club? Though I have not mastered a programming language, I desire to learn. Currently am reading a book on Python.

Hello Elytron, welcome!
Nice to meet you. I'm also learning Python, keep me updated on how you are progressing in the future.

It's never too late to learn.

Upvote 0

dysert

Feb 29, 2012
USA
✟112,984.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hello everyone. Would it be okay for me to join this club? Though I have not mastered a programming language, I desire to learn. Currently am reading a book on Python. I love to create things, so I find this all very interesting.

I am 31 years old, so starting way late in life. Doubt anyone would hire me, so I learn as a hobby. Would love to create a useful, Linux desktop application. Of some type. Or possibly fork some abandoned open source project. Hopefully someday will be able to.
Hi elytron! I know what you mean when you say you doubt anyone would hire you. Experience is what everyone is looking for. I have one huge hole in my resume, and that's JavaScript. I've been tempted to take a class or something, but I still couldn't claim it as experience, so I'm kinda stuck in that regard. I can maintain JavaScript (it's a lot like C#), but I wouldn't claim to be able to write it from scratch. Maybe I'll get a job where I use it enough that I'll be able to add it to my resume. By then, though, I'll probably be ready to retire :).

Upvote 0

shadowhunter

+collaboratively study, ~ debate, -fight.
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2008
✟60,940.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm a programmer. Have been my whole life (well, since I was 15). I'm nearing the end of my career, though, so I'm not so interested in Skype chats. Basically, I just want to write code. And fyi, there isn't a lot of that going on with me these days :-(.

I've been a hack all my life.. since '69 .. Lot's of languages, just enough to solve a problem or two. I have a Bible based project .. wanna play?

Upvote 0

Tomm

Christian
Site Supporter
Jan 30, 2007
WS
✟278,556.00
Country
Brazil
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private

Since you are also an Access programmer, I'd like to share with you an article on VBA programming best practices. Would you be interested? You may comment on or contribute afterwards.

Upvote 0