West of Mississippi
✟418,038.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I know it would be good to take notes during the day when I think and experience and as you say process. It would be good for my personal life to. I love to clarify so many things that I don’t see all that is contained in daily activity. What it means, what the Lord says. It‘s life course changing or affirming. I pray this way too, but think it’s too selfish.

Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟283,385.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I know it would be good to take notes during the day when I think and experience and as you say process. It would be good for my personal life to. I love to clarify so many things that I don’t see all that is contained in daily activity. What it means, what the Lord says. It‘s life course changing or affirming. I pray this way too, but think it’s too selfish.
Your life is a gift. Explore it.

I am into Narrative Medicine now also. It also involved writing about our experiences. There is evidence of its healing power.

Upvote 0

Unqualified

243 God loves me
Site Supporter
Aug 17, 2020
West of Mississippi
✟418,038.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The type of processing with the Lord in prayer is very healing too. More so than a good nights sleep. But the Jesus has put so much into my healing in the past 21 years. I can trust him now that all things work together for good. I don’t need to do it as much now. I’m trying to wean myself away from it. I’m not so scared and I think people and other things need prayer more. I want to trust God and not give myself so much attention. Others need healing too. The rapture, the state of the world need it. I’ve lived quite long and there is so much stress in people etc. Praying for others makes me feel good too.

Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟283,385.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The type of processing with the Lord in prayer is very healing too. More so than a good nights sleep. But the Jesus has put so much into my healing in the past 21 years. I can trust him now that all things work together for good. I don’t need to do it as much now. I’m trying to wean myself away from it. I’m not so scared and I think people and other things need prayer more. I want to trust God and not give myself so much attention. Others need healing too. The rapture, the state of the world need it. I’ve lived quite long and there is so much stress in people etc. Praying for others makes me feel good too.
And we all need to discern that self care/ other care balance. Jesus said he came to serve and yet he also took time away.

Upvote 0

Unqualified

243 God loves me
Site Supporter
Aug 17, 2020
West of Mississippi
✟418,038.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes He probably had to figure out the fathers will somewhat at times with all the heavy emotions, rejection and threats to his life. Or he may have just overlooked them. He got in Gods presence often and everything went well,so. But for us it’s very useful to bounce all our heavy stuff off the Lord. As you say it seems to be a balance.

Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟283,385.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Upvote 0

linux.poet

Electric Nightfall
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2022
Poway
✟203,955.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
In the interest of being fair to Proghoff, I pushed through the original poster's link and found this video:

Description: A college professor takes his viewers over Zoom and on YouTube through a Proghoff intensive journal exercise.

Based on this video and my college experience as an English major, the American writing professor has been wedded to this method. If I had a dime for every time I had been pushed through a intensive journal exercise - timed writing with a journal prompt - I would be rich indeed. The method in college classrooms has been divorced from its original philosophical and psychological context, leaving students to wonder the point of the exercise.

Now that I understand what I have gone through, I must say that this method is very neurotypical in its approach, a very command-and-control system of writing production and self-discovery. More accurately, identity manufacture. It is designed to produce writing that conforms to professorial and societal norms, without encouraging individual creativity. It finds what the professors want you to find in your life, extracts it, and asks you to identify with it. It's an agenda, an agenda that doesn't understand how human identity works.

Human identities are composed of actions. Choosing to associate with particular social group is an action. For example, I am a Christian and I choose to associate with the Church, the body of believers. However, my identity as a Christian is not merely composed of my association with that group, like those with the social construction of identity would like to believe. I also attempt to follow the teachings of Jesus and live my life in accordance with Scripture. Further, I will be a Christian even if I am alone in doing so; and I am part of many social groups that I was involuntarily placed into or that I choose to join out of need that aren't part of my identity.

Recently I have been forced to confront the reality that I probably have a form of autism called pathological demand avoidance, which means I do not do well with people demanding things of me. This writing method is unlikely to be useful in my case, as it is a professor making demand after demand of me for 45 minutes: write X for Y time. My mind is not made of demands, it is made of pathways. I assemble creative works from their component parts as they arrive as ideas in my skull.

However, collegiate writing professors, in their subscriptions to Proghoff and their host of neurotypical assumptions, aren't open to other methods of writing construction and assembly. They are unwilling to allow students to guide their minds through pathways of thought into new intellectual frontiers, so they command and control student writing and thought.

But for those who can't afford a college education in writing or it is otherwise inaccessible, it may be worth giving this journaling exercise a try and seeing if it is right for you. Your writing may improve considerably.

Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟283,385.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
This writing method is unlikely to be useful in my case, as it is a professor making demand after demand of me for 45 minutes: write X for Y time. My mind is not made of demands, it is made of pathways. I assemble creative works from their component parts as they arrive as ideas in my skull.
I think I understand. Maybe that is why I am not a consistent practitioner of the method. It can also seem pretty self involved. I think if used freely on ones own it can maybe be therapeutic for some issues. My journaling these day is mostly freestyle. I like to capture thoughts and feelings that would otherwise just pass into oblivion.
Thank you for your thoughts on this method.

Last edited:
Reactions: linux.poet
Upvote 0