Apr 22, 2004
✟753.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
This is a recent issue in my household...

I teach my kids that words are just that -- words. No difference between the word fudge or ****, or shoot and ****. I told them I don't really care whether they use them or not, as long as they don't make a habit out of it and as long as they use discretion around whom they use them.

I also teach them that "cursing" is when you pass condemnation or harsh judgment on another person. "You are a jerk" or, "**** you!", for example. This is wrong and I believe this is what scripture is talking about.

Guess what? My kids don't go around swearing all over creation. They also respect the fact that I allow them the same liberty I take on occasion. A kid on my daughter's bus was swearing like crazy one day, and my daughter asked her why she felt the need to cuss so much. The girl replied that it was because her mother would kill her if she were caught doing so, so it was fun to do it when Mom wasn't around. My daughter simply replied "My Dad doesn't care if I swear or not" and didn't feel the need to "join in".

My father beat me within an inch of my life for saying the "f" word when I was about seven. I didn't even know what it meant, I was simply repeating something I had heard.

To this day I have an utter dislike for smoking because I tried a cigarette when I was about 8 (yech!). I have never been drunk (slightly buzzed, but not drunk) because I tried alcohol when I was very young and hated the taste and feeling of it. I feel that sometimes in our quest to protect our children from things we feel are harmful to them, we only push them closer to them as they get older.

People comment that my kids are polite and are well spoken. We have always taught them the value of good communication.

I choose to pick my battles...

Upvote 0

Mr. Fields

Can't fool this cat...
Apr 22, 2004
✟753.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
butxifxnot said:
the Scripture is against profanity. back then, profane words were different, but profanity is still profane and is not Christian.
Did you even read one word of my post?

Do not encourage two-faced Christianity, please
I'm entitled to my opinion as much as you are. If that's a problem for you, you might just want to get over it...

Upvote 0

Faith In God

A little FIG is all we need...
Apr 3, 2004
Texas
✟36,560.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Mr. Fields said:
Did you even read one word of my post?

yes. I did. that does not change scripture commanding us to not have filthy mouths. but it was not really aimed at your post. sorry.

I'm entitled to my opinion as much as you are. If that's a problem for you, you might just want to get over it...

well,
and as long as they use discretion around whom they use them.
this got me off on that point a bit. bad witness to act like two different people (aka bearing false witness).
however, I am glad that this worked for your house. God bless.

Upvote 0

Mr. Fields

Can't fool this cat...
Apr 22, 2004
✟753.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
butxifxnot said:
yes. I did. that does not change scripture commanding us to not have filthy mouths. but it was not really aimed at your post. sorry.
I agree. I don't want my kids speech littered with cussing. This is why I don't make a huge deal out of it. I think the bigger the deal you make out of it, the more they're going to do it - behind your back...

well, this got me off on that point a bit. bad witness to act like two different people (aka bearing false witness).
however, I am glad that this worked for your house. God bless.
I don't think that quite amounts to bearing false witness... I see it more as being respectful toward people who are offended by certain things.

Blessings to you too. :)

Upvote 0

seebs

God Made Me A Skeptic
Apr 9, 2002
Saint Paul, MN
Visit site
✟55,225.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
There is nothing two-faced about recognizing that it is what comes from us that makes words sacred or profane, not the words themselves. Mr. Fields appears to have taught his children to avoid profanity entirely, not by superstitiously avoiding certain words, but by teaching them to remove the profanity from those words. Would that more people had that wisdom.

Upvote 0

Anovah

Jun 6, 2004
Oregon
✟14,597.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
seebs said:
There is nothing two-faced about recognizing that it is what comes from us that makes words sacred or profane, not the words themselves. Mr. Fields appears to have taught his children to avoid profanity entirely, not by superstitiously avoiding certain words, but by teaching them to remove the profanity from those words. Would that more people had that wisdom.
Agreed. Mr. Fields is evidently teaching his children what conduct to avoid. Not just some specific word.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

flicka

Contributor
Site Supporter
Dec 9, 2003
✟36,720.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
butxifxnot said:
For those who say that cursing is just words:

then why does the CF not permit it if 'lesser' versions of the word have the same meaning? ie crud, stuff, poop, as opposed to two other words.

Because they have a program to edit out words that may offend people who are offended by words. Whats your point?

Upvote 0

Faith In God

Apr 3, 2004
Texas
✟36,560.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
flicka said:
Because they have a program to edit out words that may offend people who are offended by words. Whats your point?
what? I can't say JESUS? that can't be it. I can offend someone just by saying 'In Jesus' name.'

do you really think so??

Upvote 0

flicka

Contributor
Site Supporter
Dec 9, 2003
✟36,720.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
butxifxnot said:
what? I can't say JESUS? that can't be it. I can offend someone just by saying 'In Jesus' name.'

do you really think so??

This post makes no sense in response to mine :confused: I was referring to the fact that certain words can't be used on the forums...what were you referring to? Perhaps I misunderstood.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Faith In God

Apr 3, 2004
Texas
✟36,560.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
flicka said:
This post makes no sense in response to mine :confused: I was referring to the fact that certain words can't be used on the forums...what were you referring to? Perhaps I misunderstood.
yes. why can't those words be used?? I said, "because they are offensive to some people?? so is Jesus' name."

but I know what you get at, so I'm gonna get off it for your sake.

Upvote 0

Anovah

Jun 6, 2004
Oregon
✟14,597.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
pentecostal girl said:
I think that if you're a Christian then you shouldn't curse. I think that it ruins your Christian witness. God Bless ;)
Would you define cursing as a list of specific words or as using words for the purposes or spit, hate, ect...?

Or [a question to you all...] what if I cursed in a foreign language? How would I know which ones are "the really bad ones" without living in that culture?

Upvote 0

Blessed-one

a long journey ahead
Jan 30, 2002
Australia
Visit site
✟25,777.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
butxifxnot said:
For those who say that cursing is just words:

then why does the CF not permit it if 'lesser' versions of the word have the same meaning? ie crud, stuff, poop, as opposed to two other words.

not just words, useless words. :)
and words that can hurt if directed to others.

Upvote 0

repentandbelieve

Senior Veteran
Dec 6, 2002
Visit site
✟2,742.00
Faith
Christian
Anovah said:
Would you define cursing as a list of specific words or as using words for the purposes or spit, hate, ect...?

Or [a question to you all...] what if I cursed in a foreign language? How would I know which ones are "the really bad ones" without living in that culture?
Rather than defining the word "cursing" let's define the word "profanity" which is derived from the word profane. The American Standard Dictionary defines profane as 1) characterized by irreverence to, or contempt for, God or sacred things.

Upvote 0

Anovah

Jun 6, 2004
Oregon
✟14,597.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
repentandbelieve said:
Rather than defining the word "cursing" let's define the word "profanity" which is derived from the word profane. The American Standard Dictionary defines profane as 1) characterized by irreverence to, or contempt for, God or sacred things.
Wait... why are we defining profanity?

I think you are saying we should replace the word "cursing" with "profanity". Even if you were to make that switch, we are left with the problem of using very subjective terms to describe this. Who says what is disrespectful and harsh.

In other words, this leads me back to my original question. Is it a list of specific words that can be considered profane or is it the meaning behind those words that is considered profane.

What if I cursed at you in a foreign language? What if I did so and neither of us knew what that word meant? Would it be a sin then? What dictates when a word becomes a sin/wrong?

Upvote 0