Problems With the Nicene Creed of 381 A.D.

Tellastory

Hebrews 13:13
Mar 10, 2013
In God's Hand
✟16,186.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
There are two outstanding problems that I have with the Nicene creed of 381 A.D., but before I start, it should be known that I believe in the Triune God; the Father, and the Son, and the Holy Ghost are the three Persons or three Witnesses within the One God.

Did you get that? I believe that the Holy Spirit is one of the Three Witnesses of the One God. Okay. Moving on.

Link to the Statement of Faith where the Nicene creed of 381 A.D. is listed with scriptural references supposedly validating each line.

#1. All Bibles testify to Jesus Christ as the Giver of life in John 6:33-35, but most modern Bibles testify that the Holy Spirit gives life in John 6:63 & 2 Corinthians 3:6.

The KJV and a few modern Bibles has the "spirit" in John 6:63 and 2 Corinthians 3:6 as not referring to the Person of the Holy Spirit at all. If you read those verses in context with His discernment, you would know that is not about the Holy Spirit.

Now comes the discernment part as to what scripture is supposed to say.

Jesus made it clear here in John 5:39-40 that all Bibles has the scripture supposed to be testifying of the Son as we are supposed to be coming to the Son for life.

That should be the deal breaker here, but people keeps whistling dixies.

The irony is that the Statement of Faith does not use John 6:63 or 2 Corinthians 3:6 of most modern Bibles, but Genesis 1:2.

Genesis 1:2 And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters. KJV

Now where does it says that the Spirit of God gives life? All that the reference was about, was the testimony that the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.

I think the forum should go reconisder the Nicene creed of 381 A.D. if they prefer to stick with the scripture in testifying that Jesus Christ is the One that gives life to the world.

#2. The "practice" of worshiping the Holy Spirit with the Father & the Son is not Biblical at all, however, Jesus has said how the Father wants us to honor Him by.

John 5:22 For the Father judgeth no man, but hath committed all judgment unto the Son: 23 That all men should honour the Son, even as they honour the Father. He that honoureth not the Son honoureth not the Father which hath sent him.

The bold portion of verse 23 is significant because it clarifies that honoring the Son is the only way to honor the Father.

I could go one to share scripture how the Holy Spirit is sent to glorify the Son ( John 16:14 ) and to testify of Him ( John 15:26 ) and so how can He do that unless through us? ( John 15:27 ) Would that not also include worship? John 3:31-32 & Philippians 2:5-13

But... let's address the Nicene creed of 381 A.D.'s reference of Matthew 3:16-17 for that practice of worshiping the Holy Spirit with the Father & the Son.

Matthew 3:

16 And Jesus, when he was baptized, went up straightway out of the water: and, lo, the heavens were opened unto him, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove, and lighting upon him:
17 And lo a voice from heaven, saying, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.

I do not see any specific instruction nor example for the practice of worshiping the Holy Spirit with the Father & the Son.

I believe there are no scripture validating that practice because the Holy Spirit is leading us to honor the Son in worship by testifying of the Son in glorifying the Son so that the Father may be honored & glorified by the Son in worship as well.

Is it a big deal? If any one wishes to be scripturally correct, it should be a big deal, but not very many will, because the practice has gone on for so long that nobody wants to narrow the way back to the straight gate in how we come to God the Father by specifically in order to worship Him in spirit and in truth.

John 14:Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

John 10:1 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that entereth not by the door into the sheepfold, but climbeth up some other way, the same is a thief and a robber.....7 Then said Jesus unto them again, Verily, verily, I say unto you, I am the door of the sheep.

Matthew 7:13 Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat: 14 Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it......
21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.
22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?
23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.
24 Therefore whosoever heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them,
I will liken him unto a wise man, which built his house upon a rock:
25 And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell not: for it was founded upon a rock.
26 And every one that heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them not, shall be likened unto a foolish man, which built his house upon the sand:
27 And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell: and great was the fall of it.

Luke 13:24 Strive to enter in at the strait gate: for many, I say unto you, will seek to enter in, and shall not be able. 25 When once the master of the house is risen up, and hath shut to the door, and ye begin to stand without, and to knock at the door, saying, Lord, Lord, open unto us; and he shall answer and say unto you, I know you not whence ye are: 26 Then shall ye begin to say, We have eaten and drunk in thy presence, and thou hast taught in our streets. 27 But he shall say, I tell you, I know you not whence ye are; depart from me, all ye workers of iniquity. 28 There shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth, when ye shall see Abraham, and Isaac, and Jacob, and all the prophets, in the kingdom of God, and you yourselves thrust out. 29 And they shall come from the east, and from the west, and from the north, and from the south, and shall sit down in the kingdom of God. 30 And, behold, there are last which shall be first, and there are first which shall be last.

Looks like a requirement for being ready and found abiding in Him is by how we come to God the Father in fellowship, prayer, and worship and that is by the only way of the Son or risk being left behind at the pre tribulational rapture.

Remember that the Nicene creed of 381 A.D. was derived for ecumenical purpose of uniting the church to be on the same page, but is that not the fruit of the false prophet?

Matthew 7:

15 Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves.
16 Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles?

Does any one see my concern for the body of Christ at this forum?

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There are two outstanding problems that I have with the Nicene creed of 381 A.D.

Having a creed is wrong.
Creeds are repeated as a group practice and repeated at each gathering.
Matthew 6:1
"Be careful not to practice your righteousness in front of others to be seen by them. If you do, you will have no reward from your Father in heaven.

Luke 18:11
The Pharisee stood by himself and prayed: 'God, I thank you that I am not like other people--robbers, evildoers, adulterers--or even like this tax collector.

Kind of like reciting a creed?

6"But you, when you pray, go into your inner room, close your door and pray to your Father who is in secret, and your Father who sees what is done in secret will reward you.

7"And when you are praying, do not use meaningless repetition as the Gentiles do, for they suppose that they will be heard for their many words.

Kind of like repeating a creed, saying "not this"..."not that?"

12 But above all, my brethren, do not swear, either by heaven or by earth or with any other oath; but your yes is to be yes, and your no, no, so that you may not fall under judgment.

Is not swearing an oath Kind of like repeating a Creed?

I'm not saying I disagree with the creed.
I'm saying creeds are wrong.
If God thought we needed a relevant paraphrase
He would have included one in scripture.

Upvote 0

Shempster

ImJustMe
Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2014
✟258,881.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I have been studying this and looking at some the arguments and debates that have been raging for over 2000 years and I have 1 conclusion: every idea and theory of the origin and makeup of God can be proved AND disproved using various bible passages aligned in just the right sequence.
so...
my hypothesis is that we cannot know exactly everything about God. He has hidden it from us and whats more important is that it apparently is not all that important! The truth of spirituality and salvation goes much deeper than any of that and yet at the same time it is right in front of our eyes. The truth of the gospel is so simple that most reject THAT as being enough. They just seem to need religion to make them feel happy and secure.
Im not implying that you or anyone else is wrong or off track...this is just an observation.

Upvote 0

Tellastory

Hebrews 13:13
Mar 10, 2013
In God's Hand
✟16,186.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Having a creed is wrong.
Creeds are repeated as a group practice and repeated at each gathering.
Matthew 6:1
"Be careful not to practice your righteousness in front of others to be seen by them. If you do, you will have no reward from your Father in heaven.

Luke 18:11
The Pharisee stood by himself and prayed: 'God, I thank you that I am not like other people--robbers, evildoers, adulterers--or even like this tax collector.

Kind of like reciting a creed?

Not really. Using the KJV, I find Matthew 6:1 talking about not giving in view of people.

Matthew 6:1 Take heed that ye do not your alms before men, to be seen of them: otherwise ye have no reward of your Father which is in heaven.

As for creeds itself; there is a basis for speaking the same thing in fellowship.

1 Corinthians 1:9 God is faithful, by whom ye were called unto the fellowship of his Son Jesus Christ our Lord. 10 Now I beseech you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you; but that ye be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment.

But that is not the same thing as having a creed to accomplish that. Verse 10 above can be applied to a creed, but I believe it was meant in other ways, but it would be hard to reprove the practice of creeds other than reproving the errors in that creed.

6"But you, when you pray, go into your inner room, close your door and pray to your Father who is in secret, and your Father who sees what is done in secret will reward you.

7"And when you are praying, do not use meaningless repetition as the Gentiles do, for they suppose that they will be heard for their many words.

Kind of like repeating a creed, saying "not this"..."not that?"

That was about prayer in relations to God hearing their prayers as if being in public and repeating it often will help.

12 But above all, my brethren, do not swear, either by heaven or by earth or with any other oath; but your yes is to be yes, and your no, no, so that you may not fall under judgment.

Is not swearing an oath Kind of like repeating a Creed?

If it began with I swear or I promise... but creeds are not known as oaths.

I'm not saying I disagree with the creed.
I'm saying creeds are wrong.
If God thought we needed a relevant paraphrase
He would have included one in scripture.

The reason I do not believe a creed has been taught to the church is that it may mislead the hearer as if that is all there is to know about christianity and their walk with Christ when it is not.

As it is, the Nicene creed of 381 A.D. is not supported fully by scripture, and the forum leaders would be remiss in having that as a statement of faith in the forum.

Unless they or someone else in the forum can prove otherwise that it is okay to decline from the testimony of the Son in scripture as being the Giver of life by giving the glory of that title solely to the Holy Spirit instead, and that it is okay to worship the Holy Spirit with the Father & the Son even though scripture says that the Holy Spirit would never lead a believer to do that in worship, but to honor the Son by testifying of the Son to glorify the Son even in worship.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
1 Corinthians 1:9 God is faithful, by whom ye were called unto the fellowship of his Son Jesus Christ our Lord. 10 Now I beseech you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you; but that ye be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment.

But that is not the same thing as having a creed to accomplish that. Verse 10 above can be applied to a creed, but I believe it was meant in other ways, but it would be hard to reprove the practice of creeds other than reproving the errors in that creed.

Creeds are not approved in the above passage.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
As it is, the Nicene creed of 381 A.D. is not supported fully by scripture, and the forum leaders would be remiss in having that as a statement of faith in the forum.

Having a "creed" goes against many ideas in the new testament, including "adding to scripture."

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums