✟16,223.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Welcome,

I am a patriotic Republican who has just joined the Army.

It appears that the Republicans are selling out to many liberal acts. John McCain seems like a joke to us Christian Conservatives in some ways. Homosexuals can now "marry" in California (state gov't)! Homosexuals also are gaining some rights in the military! Funding for fetal stem cell research and opposition to a border fence are also in the wrong direction.

However, mabye the Republicans are playing politics to get votes for McCain and congress? There was the 2006 defeat and parties have taken middle ground stances before in past elections. Bush went in the middle of some issues in both '00 and '04. Gore tried that too. After January,will they drop this liberal trend?

Obama is not at all in the middle and neither is Hillary. It appears that Hillary just might respect our military a bit more but both are BAD.

At the worst case scenario, should we Republicans vote out voice out by continuing to vote Republican or voting Democrat to teach missled neocons a lesson? I do not want to vote on the other side but ask this question to get some opinions.

God Bless America!

-Hector

Last edited by a moderator:

MrJim

Legend 3/17/05
Mar 17, 2005
FEMA Region III
✟42,622.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Try this Hector: Consider yourself first a Christian of the Kingdom of God first, and the "Patriotic Republican" second. You are part of that Kingdom without end, serving the true God. This passing nation of the USA may not be here 20 or 200 years from now, but the Kingdom of God will still stand.

Remember St. John's words:

1Jn 2:15 –1Jn 2:17 NKJV
Do not love the world or the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him. For all that is in the world—the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life—is not of the Father but is of the world. And the world is passing away, and the lust of it; but he who does the will of God abides forever.

Work your American citizenship within this context, and fret not over the evil doers...

Upvote 0

Izdaari Eristikon

Mar 12, 2007
Post Falls, Idaho
✟32,841.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Married
My own plans: I'll watch the polls in my own state (WA), and if it isn't in play on election day, I'll probably vote Libertarian (as I've done in 2/3 of the presidential elections from 1972 on). But if it is in play, and my vote could potentially change my state's electoral votes, then I'll feel obligated to choose the lesser evil.

Obama will almost certainly (I'd say 95% chance) be the Democratic nominee, so it's him or McCain.

Upvote 0

JimfromOhio

Life of Trials :)
Feb 7, 2004
Central Ohio
✟60,248.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
For John McCain, he is facing his own difficulties with the Republican party that has preferred more conservative candidates. During the past year, right-wing ( Ideological conservatism) Republican opinion-makers including the Religious Right leaders have been referring to McCain as a "liberal". To me, McCain is a conservative like me that therefore, he is more of a moderate or centrist candidate. Ari Berman wrote an article with a quote "McCain has always been far more conservative than either his supporters or detractors acknowledge."

The Republican Party are founded on the idea that societal health is rooted in personal responsibility and actions. We have to remember the Republican Party tends to hold both conservative and libertarian stances on social and economic issues respectively. Lately, within the Republican party have became conservatives versus Libertarians. Today, the conservatives have unrealistic expectations and an ignorance of the way things really work in politics which is why they are losing.

One of ignorances I am seeing within the conservatives is that conservatives' hatred of McCain makes no sense at all. I don't think the conservative Christian activists are willing to repair the Republican Party. It is a silly mistake for Republicans to want to choose between libertarians (moderates) and conservatives. I believe the Republican party has moved too far to the right that made conservatives too powerful which that already alienated libertarians (moderates) and political independents.

The split between "conservatives" and "moderates" is really just a symptom that is between two aspects of the Republicans' philosophy:
1. Moderates are the ones who desire "that the individual has a right to live for his own goals"

versus

2. Conservatives are the ones who desire "that the individual live for the goals imposed on citizens by Congress"

It it a silly mistake for Republicans to want to choose between moderates and conservatives?

I believe the Republican party has moved too far to the right that made conservatives too powerful which that already alienated moderates, political independents and conservative Democrates (who are sometimes are Republicans).

The very first Republican President was Abraham Lincoln who is my favorite President of all times. Today's Republicans are NOT in tune with the Republicans during Lincoln's days that many members are leaving the Republican Party.

Upvote 0

Izdaari Eristikon

Mar 12, 2007
Post Falls, Idaho
✟32,841.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Married
Good thoughts, JimfromOhio, and I'd mostly agree. McCain isn't a perfect conservative, but though he is a maverick and often goes his own way, his voting record averages about 80% conservative. No, that's not all conservatives would want, but it's a lot better than the opposition.

Now, the part I don't agree with: A moderate Republican may be, but is not necessarily, the same thing as a libertarian Republican. McCain is a long way from libertarian.

I am myself a Goldwater conservative, aka neolibertarian. (Goldwater was always more libertarian than conservative... which is what I loved about him.)

Upvote 0

SharonL

Senior Veteran
Oct 15, 2005
Texas
Visit site
✟23,316.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
During the last election many Republicans voted Democratic just to show those that were not on the right track. Now we have lost a lot of seats and have to live with it - the Dems have control now and no matter who gets in - they will control everything and not let anything good be passed or even brought to the floor for a vote.

Things are not looking good for the Republician party or our country. It is a sad day when judges can overrule what the people want and vote it their way, so we have a long way to go.

It is hard to know what to do, but one thing I would not consider right now with who we have to choose from is I would never vote Dem - their thinking has gone off the deep end and I am afraid that as with all our leaders - the good of the country is not their top priority, but what is good for them or how they can line their pockets and how much power can they drum up for themselves. I'm talking both sides of the isle.

Upvote 0

MrJim

Legend 3/17/05
Mar 17, 2005
FEMA Region III
✟42,622.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Comprehensive Immigration Reform Act of 2007 (aka "Immigration Amnesty") last year turned a lot of folks against McCain; his sneakin' around trying to get stuff passed before the public found out about it~some consider the Campaign Finance reforms of McCain/Feingold to be 1st Amendment violations regardless of what SCOTUS says~some are concerned about the moral nature and temperment of the man (link) ~ National Right to Life scores him at 66% for the current session which is far better than the opposition, both tied at 0%~Gun rights tend to be about the same, McCain might not be an NRA prima donna but he's far better than the other two.

I'd say amongst folks I run with the immigration thing is the real killer~see, here in Pennsylvania we tend to cling to our guns & religion and don't like those foreign folk:D

No Osama
No Obama
No Chelsea's Mama

It's fun to watch all this play out though, to see if the GOP base doesn't realize that half a potato is better than no potato at all...

Upvote 0

JimfromOhio

Feb 7, 2004
Central Ohio
✟60,248.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I am a registered Republican but I have been leaning towards libertaraianism. The central insight of libertarianism is in the Declaration of Independence. We have the right to life, liberty and the ability to pursue happiness (though no guarantee of achieving it). Government's only purpose is to help protect those rights — and if it fails, we have the right to alter or abolish it.

Ronald Reagan: "The very heart and soul of conservatism is libertarianism"

I hold conservative positions on most issues but have an underlying worldview of what is happening and make decisions based on them. Christianity will always be running against the prevailing society of individualistic views. Grace is about loving other people that we have the freedom to do so but at the same time, respect how they practice their beliefs. I just let God handle their beliefs that I disagree with. I am one Republican who wants to see a return to traditional values that must come from the people, not the government. "We the People" are the true government.

So far, I am a "Moderate Conservative Libertarian".

I may not agree with everything Cal Thomas says but in one of his recent column:​
If conservatives really want to win, they will adopt new ideas based on old principles. Conservatives are in danger of losing the coming election and future ones because they have not reinvented themselves for a new era. Liberal ideas mostly don't work. Conservatives must demonstrate to voters their ideas do.

Upvote 0

edie19

Legend
Site Supporter
Sep 5, 2005
NW Ohio (almost Michigan)
Visit site
✟91,291.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
I am a registered Republican but I have been leaning towards libertaraianism. The central insight of libertarianism is in the Declaration of Independence. We have the right to life, liberty and the ability to pursue happiness (though no guarantee of achieving it). Government's only purpose is to help protect those rights — and if it fails, we have the right to alter or abolish it.

Ronald Reagan: "The very heart and soul of conservatism is libertarianism"

I hold conservative positions on most issues but have an underlying worldview of what is happening and make decisions based on them. Christianity will always be running against the prevailing society of individualistic views. Grace is about loving other people that we have the freedom to do so but at the same time, respect how they practice their beliefs. I just let God handle their beliefs that I disagree with. I am one Republican who wants to see a return to traditional values that must come from the people, not the government. "We the People" are the true government.

So far, I am a "Moderate Conservative Libertarian".

I may not agree with everything Cal Thomas says but in one of his recent column:​
If conservatives really want to win, they will adopt new ideas based on old principles. Conservatives are in danger of losing the coming election and future ones because they have not reinvented themselves for a new era. Liberal ideas mostly don't work. Conservatives must demonstrate to voters their ideas do.

I look forward to the day when the Libertarian party becomes more viable.

And thanks for the Cal Thomas quote - he's one of my favorite columnists.

edie

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

kasprinkle

Nov 23, 2007
✟15,252.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I have never particularly liked John McCain; I think its always about HIM and nothing else. I disagree with him on global warming, don't trust him on taxes, think he'a nuts to not want drilling in ANWR and believe he will sell me down the river on illegal aliens. Every time he "reached across the aisle", I felt conservatives got hosed. Wish he'd "reach across the aisle" to his own party!
I was a Fred Thompson woman and was heart broken that he couldn't make it work. I'm not a sore loser, I just don't trust Juan!
I'm probably gonna sit this one out...

Upvote 0

Hector Medina

Questioning Roman Catholic
May 10, 2002
San Antonio,Texas USA
Visit site
✟16,223.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I will not vote democrat.

It is still early. Hopefully thinbgs will improve by the middle of summer. McCain apprears to be clever and either the conservative core will accept his views or, he will alter some of them.

-H

Upvote 0

JimfromOhio

Feb 7, 2004
Central Ohio
✟60,248.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
To most hard-core conservatives, ( Ideological conservatism) Republican opinion-makers including the "Christian Right" leaders have been referring to McCain as a "liberal". Christianity, politics, controversies and worldliness have brought in the darkness that people cannot see the light. A Christian's economical life and standard of moral living are not private matters but rather they are critical issues of faith and discipleship. A Christian life in this world should be different from the world, being in the world but not of the world.

In the past, most politicians have failed "morally" in their lives which have been exposed by the media. If the politicians can't control their own moral, why should the average americans? Abraham Lincoln famously said "You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you can not fool all of the people all of the time."

Last month or so, my wife and I have been watching John Adams on HBO and I am impressed. Thomas Jefferson is probably the most admired man of all Founding Fathers because he wrote the Delcaration of Independence. He remembered his history that the Puritans were interested in establishing a degree of separation of church and state because they had been persecuted by the English government and wanted to ensure their own freedom of religion in Massachusetts Bay.

Charles Colson wrote in his book about Conservative Christians, "Who Speaks for God?'': "It's easy to become enthralled with access to places of supposed power. In time, however, without even knowing it, our well-intentioned attempts to influence government can become so entangled with a particular political agenda that it becomes our focus; our goal becomes maintaining our political access. When that happens, the gospel is held hostage to a political agenda -- and we become part of the very system we were seeking to change.''

I like Libertarianism because their political philosophy advocating that individuals should be free to do whatever they wish with their person or property, as long as they do not infringe on the same liberty of others or cause harm to others. In other words, in summary, "In perspective is that individual well-being, prosperity, and social harmony are fostered by ‘as much liberty as possible’ and ‘as little government as necessary"

Upvote 0

Izdaari Eristikon

Mar 12, 2007
Post Falls, Idaho
✟32,841.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Married
To most hard-core conservatives, ( Ideological conservatism) Republican opinion-makers including the "Christian Right" leaders have been referring to McCain as a "liberal". Christianity, politics, controversies and worldliness have brought in the darkness that people cannot see the light.
It's absurd, simply incredible that a long-time Senator with a lifetime 82% conservative voting record (as rated by the American Conservative Union) could be dismissed as a liberal. I know some do say that about him. I just can't believe it. He's a long way from a perfect conservative, but he's no liberal. :o

I like Libertarianism because their political philosophy advocating that individuals should be free to do whatever they wish with their person or property, as long as they do not infringe on the same liberty of others or cause harm to others. In other words, in summary, "In perspective is that individual well-being, prosperity, and social harmony are fostered by ‘as much liberty as possible’ and ‘as little government as necessary"
:amen:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

JustAsIam77

Veritas Liberabit Vos
Dec 26, 2006
South Florida
✟30,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
I have never particularly liked John McCain; I think its always about HIM and nothing else. I disagree with him on global warming, don't trust him on taxes, think he'a nuts to not want drilling in ANWR and believe he will sell me down the river on illegal aliens. Every time he "reached across the aisle", I felt conservatives got hosed. Wish he'd "reach across the aisle" to his own party!
I was a Fred Thompson woman and was heart broken that he couldn't make it work. I'm not a sore loser, I just don't trust Juan!
I'm probably gonna sit this one out...

This pretty much sums up my take on this years Republican nominee.

Having said that, I just read today that Susan Sarandon stated she was going to move to Canada if McCain wins. Now I'll have to hold my nose and get out to vote for "Juan" in November.

Upvote 0