MatthewG215

Feb 16, 2004
Haverhill, MA
✟16,012.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Others
I dont know much about computers, so bear with me...

I have Windows XP, and my internet explorer has been acting up. If I click a link for streaming media, on CPSAN.org for example, it says it cant be found and pop ups come up. Does anyone know what I'm talking about? Is there anyway to get a new explorer?

GW_in_04

G-Dubbin'
Jun 4, 2004
Chicago, IL
Visit site
✟15,387.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
MatthewG215 said:

I have Windows XP, and my internet explorer has been acting up. If I click a link for streaming media, on CPSAN.org for example, it says it cant be found and pop ups come up. Does anyone know what I'm talking about? Is there anyway to get a new explorer?
I.E. in many people's opinion is one of the worst browser's out there. Just very unstable and very few features. If you like the look and feel of I.E. one good choice would be the Avant Broweser. I think their web link is just avantbrowser.com. If you don't mind using Netscape or are familiar with Netscape, Mozilla (mozilla.org) would be the best solution, in my opinion. I use Firefox, a browser only from Mozilla, and it works great. Absolutely no problems with it, great pop up controls, and great features like tabbed browsing. One thing you might do with I.E. is clear the cookies and Temporary Interenet Files. They can bog down the browser if left untouched. Also, run Windows Update. There are several patches and security fixes for I.E. on there.

Upvote 0

trunks2k

Contributor
Jan 26, 2004
✟270,241.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
MatthewG215 said:

Sounds like adware. Download adaware and spy-bot search & destroy. Run them both to clean out any adware you may have. That may fix your issue.

If you want a new browser, people always suggest Mozilla. But I've only used it for Linux and it was OK.

Upvote 0

Sid

Jun 5, 2004
California
✟153.00
Faith
Christian
Chakotay said:
Opera is another good browser if you're in the market for a new one. I use the free one. There is about a one-inch bar across the top that occasionally show ads, but Opera's worth the ads.
I agree. Try out Opera. I love Opera software. I think you will notice that using it there is a drop in spyware. I believe this has to do with active x, but Im not quite sure. I have some information on opera on my personal site. I you want to check it just go to my site listed in my profile. It may offer you some helpful information.

Upvote 0

Niz

james 5:16
Aug 15, 2003
Denver,CO
Visit site
✟7,976.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
the best spyware program out that's free is spysweeper. Does so much indept search with registry keys and hidden folders and such. google it to find it :D. As for the problem, i'd suggest a new browser. I use crazybrowser, able to have multiple windows open with one dialog :D i love it!

Upvote 0

Sid

Jun 5, 2004
California
✟153.00
Faith
Christian
Niz said:
the best spyware program out that's free is spysweeper. Does so much indept search with registry keys and hidden folders and such. google it to find it :D. As for the problem, i'd suggest a new browser. I use crazybrowser, able to have multiple windows open with one dialog :D i love it!
I also feel that spysweeper is the best out there. But it is actually a pay program. Its free to try, and you get one free update. You must pay for it in order to keep the definitions updated, much like an antivirus program. I think the website has it for $29 but you can get it at stores like best buy for $20 everyonce in awhile when there is a sale.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums