• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Problem with cough syrup (dextromethorphan)

BlessEwe

Legend
Dec 22, 2003
California
Visit site
✟33,670.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I used it for 3 or months then stopped for about a year but then got back into it for another several months, then stopped for 7 or 8 months then started using it again :(

Using anything like nose drops, sugar, caffeine you name it ,our bodies get used to it feeling it is normal now. If it has alcohol or codeine or another drug you may be addicted to it. If this is the case maybe talk with your doctor, as it could be very harmful to your liver and other organs. There are online groups/ and recovery groups at church or other places that support one another if you need one.. :hug:

Upvote 0

Christos Anesti

Oct 25, 2009
Michigan
✟20,114.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
One of my friends used to drink large amounts of cough syrup every day. When he stopped taking it he got physically ill and was throwing up and had the shakes and stuff. I think it can be a lot more addictive then some people think. I hope everything turns out ok for you. If you have trouble stopping you might want to go some NA meetings. NA is awesome.

Upvote 0

TheMainException

Senior Veteran
Jun 13, 2004
In my universe
✟19,228.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Are you using it daily Lemmiwinks? How many mgs are you taking daily? How many at one time? Do you know why you are using it? To escape? Self medicate for something? The experience? Self exploration? Figuring out this answer can help you to quit.

DXM can very quickly cause tolerance if it is taken daily or even every other day. I haven't yet come into contact with a person who had severe withdrawal symptoms, but I have talked with some people who had some very horrible reactions to it, so please do be careful with this substance. Christos Anesti is right, it isn't as harmless as everyone thinks. This is one of the substances I've used pretty often in my life and have studied relatively thoroughly, so I know what it's like to use this stuff.

Reactions: BlessEwe
Upvote 0

maranatha1119

Nov 16, 2012
Greensburg, PA
✟15,118.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Although I tend to be a "garbage can junkie" (meaning I'm addicted to all drugs), DXM is by far my favorite. I think the experience is better than even LSD. But for me it has been harder to stop than anything else. I took 1200 mg twice a day, every day, for 5 straight years. I was also using Ecstasy and Ketamine along with it.

I'm convinced, based on the spiritual/magickal experiences I've had on DXM, that it is truly Satan's most effective chemical means of enslaving people to him. Prolonged use causes delusions that are based on the idea that the whole universe and everything that happens in it revolves around yourself, and that significant events in history happened simply to bring into being the circumstances of your life. Your mind and behavior become more and more unrational the longer you take it, and there are many who abuse it who end up in psych wards eventually.

If anyone seeks to become educated about DXM, the DXM FAQ is extemely detailed and has the most info about it that you will find anywhere. Do a google search to find it.

I mentioned having spiritual/magickal experiences on DXM. These are common with all psychedelic drugs, but the most profound experiences of this sort are found on DXM. It will definitely give you the illusion that you are drawing closer to God, but in reality you are simply being duped by the Devil. Here's some of the info about the spiritual aspect of DXM from the DXM FAQ:

"OOBEs (Out-of-Body Experiences) are common at fourth plateau doses. Typically these start with a sensation that one is being tugged horizontally out of one's body, followed by a floating sensation. Typically one enters what seems to be an entirely different plane of existence, although rarely people report staying in the physical world as a noncorporeal entity, viewing one's body from above. The various alternate planes each have consistent physical rules, life forms, and appearances.

Many people report contact with alien and spiritual beings, deities, and free-floating consciousnesses during upper plateau trips, notably during out-of-body experiences and the dissociative spiral. It has been suggested...that these entities may be fragments of one's own subconscious mind that one is suddenly perceiving consciously.

A few people have reported "Psi" phenomena such as ESP (extra-sensory perception), clairvoyance (psychically seeing distant places), and the like. Telekinesis doesn't seem to be reported, although a few report that, while under the influence of DXM, they felt like they could slightly influence the laws of probability.

In the realm of altered states of consciousness, there are several interesting patterns of thought that occur on DXM. Typically these include a sense of deep understanding of highly abstract and often multi-level abstract concepts. Examples include self-referential statements ("this statement is false"), multi-level logic, self-creating ideas (e.g., the concept of a self-creating, self-invoking concept), and so one. One mathematics student was suddenly able to intuitively understand Godel's Incompleteness Theorem (this intuitive understanding persisted even after the DXM wore off).

Everyone take a deep breath, we're about to jump off into the deep end. Many people who have frequently used DXM or other dissociatives begin to develop consistent contact with "aliens" (with all due skepticism, these are probably elements of one's subconscious mind that have taken on characteristics of independent consciousness). Regardless of the cause, one particular subset of these aliens seem to have surprisingly consistent behaviour and intentions. Here, basically, is the message that can be pieced together from dissociative users.

There are numerous groups of entities or aliens, but two in particular are relevant. One group, the "helpful aliens", are attempting to guide humankind towards societal and spiritual progress with the ultimate intention that we become so far advanced that we can leave behind the earth (and possibly the physical world), and join a vast, intergalactic federation of other races. In order to keep us from blowing ourselves up or slipping into societal chaos, these helpful aliens do what they can to keep us on the right track.

However, there are limits, either by some sort of convention or law, or by the nature of noncorporeal existence, to what these aliens can do. For example, they probably can't show up in big motherships and announce peace on earth; they can't suddenly make all guns and bombs disappear. They seem to be able to influence human progress only by means that appear as coincidence, such as fortuitous events, sudden insights and inspirations, luck, and that sort of thing. Some people have suggested that these "helpful aliens" are bending some sort of "law" by helping us out, and they can only do it as long as it can't be absolutely proven that they interfered with out progress.

Then there are the "not-so-helpful aliens". Not necessarily evil, but totally unconcerned with our race, and unconvinced that we are worth the trouble of helping. Some would say that they view us as we view ants, and would have no qualms about exterminating us if they felt it wise to do so. They too are restricted to operating primarily through coincidence.

Anyone who has studied the belief systems and religions of the world will of course notice that these sets of aliens are nothing new. They are also angels and devils, good and evil spirits, and that sort of thing. There is a great deal of correspondence with the Seelie and Unseelie court of the faeries."

As you can tell from these exceprts, DXM is a very strange and complex drug, and not everyone reacts the same way to it. The best thing to do is to stay far, far away from it, and seek God through prayer, not drugs. :pray:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Nov 29, 2012
The 'Hills'
✟7,626.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am a newer member to this forum, first post even. Browsing around, the threads involving cough syrup are not surprising. I've had problems, bad problems, with drugs in the past. I've met people all over the world who love cough medication.

Dextromethorphan is not 'physically' addictive. Mentally, it's very addictive. The only way you're going to stop, is to just stop. Don't ever 'just try' or 'just once it.' You'll definitely need people you can talk to about it, people who care enough to tell you no. Ultimately, you have to figure out what's triggering your use of the drug... Boredom, depression, etc, whatever, stop it and combat that. Use church, christian forums, recovery forums. Pray and meditate. Learn to relax and take it moment by moment.

Like I said, just quit, it's not easy, but you can do it, there are worse habits. God can help us to drop anything. Our wills are stronger than we think. God Bless.

PS. No offense to the person above, but reading things like the DXM faq or Erowid, or any kind of 'user experiences' or 'trip stories' can have negative effects. It always did for me, there are definitely things at work making you remember 'great' things with it and it can backlash on you, so please, be wary of this.

Upvote 0