Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
That's why the doctors don't deliver the fetus/baby all the way when performing partial birth abortions.
A few inches means the difference between fetus and baby.
Sad.
Correct.

I the US citizenship begins at birth, which is why it makes no sense to argue that if we are going to allow abortion then we should allow mothers to kill their 2-year-olds. The 2-year-old is a citizen, a fetus is not.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SnowyMacie

Apr 12, 2011
North Texas
✟118,149.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
In Relationship
They also show that all of those who receive mercy repented. The prodigal son realized his error and returned to his father and repented. The woman at the well repented and said, "give me this water, so that I will not be thirsty or have to come here to draw water." Hebrews 4 states that we must "draw near to the throne of grace" in order to receive mercy. The woman caught in adultery is a disputed text and it just so happens to be the odd one out that does not mention any sort of repentance necessary for mercy. Coincidence?

And I do not claim that God does not show mercy to sinners. God shows mercy to His elect, who are all sinners. Well, actually, God shows mercy to everyone in the sense that it is a mercy that anyone is alive here and not already burning in hell and receiving the wrath of God (I suggest reading some of Jonathan Edwards writings). As it pertains to salvation, God only shows mercy on His elect.

I am aware. It was also originally written on papyri, but I am not expecting you to mail me fragments. When you tell someone to look up a passage, how do you do it? Do you not give them the name of the book, the chapter(s), and the verse(s)?

And I know why you cited them, but you did not bother to actually comment on them. It would be like me providing all of the passages that I did in my previous post without actually opening up a discussion on them. It would be confusing to the reader and really lazy on my end.

Right. I meant the context of John 3:16 as it pertains to this discussion.

Yup, hammer on head! :oldthumbsup:

Yes, but that does not exclude the fact that we are to rebuke sinners. We can follow the commandments by loving the Lord our God and loving our neighbor as ourself. That does not mean we cannot fall into the traps of other sins or that we should ignore all sins.

No, not everyone can accept. It is not a free choice. Consider the following passages:

What then? Are we Jews any better off? No, not at all. For we have already charged that all, both Jews and Greeks, are under sin, as it is written: "None is righteous, no, not one; no one understands; no one seeks for God. All have turned aside; together they have become worthless; no one does good, not even one." (Romans 3:9-12; ESV)​

Tell me, how can a person "accept if they choose" when "no one seeks for God?" How can someone come to God, which is by all stretches of the imagination a good thing, when "no one does good?"

For when you were slaves of sin, you were free in regard to righteousness. But what fruit were you getting at that time from the things of which you are now ashamed? For the end of those things is death. But now that you have been set free from sin and have become slaves of God, the fruit you get leads to sanctification and its end, eternal life. For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord. (Romans 6:20-23; ESV)​

As is clearly shown in this passage, man is a slave to sin. It is only by Christ that we have been set free from slavery to sin and become slaves of God. So, unless someone is a slave to God they are a slave to sin. If someone is a slave to sin then they cannot break away from it to become a slave to God.

The natural person does not accept the things of the Spirit of God, for they are folly to him, and he is not able to understand them because they are spiritually discerned. The spiritual person judges all things, but is himself to be judged by no one. "For who has understood the mind of the Lord so as to instruct him?" But we have the mind of Christ. (1 Corinthians 2:14-15; ESV)​

How can a person "accept if they choose" if "the natural person does not accept the things of the Spirit of God?" How can a person "accept if they choose" if "he is not able to understand them [the things of the Spirit of God] because they are spiritually discerned?"

For the mind that is set on the flesh is hostile to God, for it does not submit to God's law; indeed, it cannot. Those who are in the flesh cannot please God. (Romans 8:7-8; ESV)​

How can a person "accept if they choose" if they are "hostile to God" and "does not submit to God's law." In fact, "it [the mind that is set on the flesh] cannot." How can a person "accept if they choose" if they "cannot please God?"

The answers to all of these questions are quite simple. They can't. It all is a gift from God based on His sovereign will:

But to all who did receive him, who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God, who were born, not of blood nor of the will of the flesh nor of the will of man, but of God. (John 1:12-13; ESV)​

Regarding 1 John 2:2, it is not the only verse to say that Christ died for the "whole world" (John 1:29; 3:16; 6:51; 1 Timothy 2:6; Hebrews 2:9). Now we must consider what the "whole world" actually is in reference to.

The question that needs a precise answer is this: Did He or didn't He? Did Christ actually make a substitutionary sacrifice for sins or didn't He? If He did, then it was not for all the world, for then all the world would be saved. (Palmer, The Five Points of Calvinism, p. 47.)
If Christ genuinely died for every single human being in the whole world then you only have two options:
  1. Everyone in the world is saved regardless of whether or not they accept Christ (as the sin of unbelief would be covered on the cross).
  2. Christ died for everyone, but it was insufficient without extra work on the part of man (synergism).
So, which is it? Or is there another option? Of course there is. It is the "L" in TULIP. That is, Limited Atonement.

Let there be no misunderstanding at this point. The Arminian limits the atonement as certainly as does the Calvinist. The Calvinist limits the extent of it in that he says it does not apply to all persons [...] while the Arminian limits the power of it, for he says that in itself it does not actually save anybody. The Calvinist limits it quantitatively, but not qualitatively; the Arminian limits it qualitatively, but not quantitatively. For the Calvinist it is like a narrow bridge that goes all the way across the stream; for the Arminian it is like a great wide bridge that goes only half-way across. As a matter of fact, the Arminian places more severe limitations on the work of Christ than does the Calvinist. (Lorraine Boettner, The Reformed Doctrine of Predestination, p. 153.)​

So which option is most accurately described in Scripture? We know that Christ came to save, not to try and save (Luke 19:10; Hebrews 9:12; 1 Timothy 1:15). So who did Christ come to save? Was it the whole world? This is clearly not the case, as is seen in Scriptures:

When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, then he will sit on his glorious throne. Before him will be gathered all the nations, and he will separate people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. And he will place the sheep on his right, but the goats on the left. [...] Then he will say to those on his left, "Depart from me, you cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels." (Matthew 25:31-33; 41; ESV)​

Obviously the goats are not saved by Christ's work on the cross. So Christ came to save His sheep and not the goats (John 10:11-15). Consider, for example, what is written in Matthew 20:28. It is in this passage that we read that Christ came "to give his life as a ransom for many," not for all (cf. Isaiah 53:11). How can one be a sheep? In light of Romans 3:9-12; 6:20-23; 8:7-8; 1 Corinthians 2:14-15, we know that it is not by the choice of man. I already cited John 1:12-13, which teaches that it is by God. But it is explicitly stated by Jesus in John 6:37 that all "the Father gives me will come to me, and whoever comes to me I will never cast out." The sheep are those that are of God while the goats are those who are not (John 8:47).

Just stop for a moment and actually consider the whole analogy of the sheep and the shepherd. Does a sheep choose its own shepherd or does a shepherd choose his sheep? The answer in real life observation is quite clear. It is also quite clear that it works the same way in Scriptures.

One more passage I want to point you toward is in John as well:

For I have given them the words that you gave me, and they have received them and have come to know in truth that I came from you; and they have believed that you sent me. I am praying for them. I am not praying for the world but for those whom you have given me, for they are yours. (John 17:8-9; ESV)​

Could the Scriptures be more clear? Man cannot come to God on their own. Christ did not die for the whole world, rather, He died for His sheep. Those who are His sheep are elected by God by His own sovereign will and are given the gift of grace to have faith.

Who are the "all?" All does not necessitate all of humanity. Christ died for all who he came to die for. No more and no less. Christ's sacrifice was perfect and complete.

Yes, "taste death for everyone" who believes. He obviously did not taste death for unregenerate individuals (the goats).

Not everyone is "welcome to be apart of the select few." I highlighted this above.

Sir, it is clear to me that have some very fundemental differences in theology, that I have no desire to be drag into a debate about it. I have been a member of this site for almost 6 years now and studied theology and biblical text in college, I have seen every verse and logical argument about Calvinism. I am still very strongly anti-calvinistic primarily from my background, but also because how I have been treated and I've seen others been treated by Calvinists on this site (no,I'm not talking about you, but people no longer members), it points me in the direct opposite direction of it. God bless and enjoy your time on CF!

Upvote 0

JESUS=G.O.A.T

Dec 29, 2016
Houston
✟68,441.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Person in being us a legal term so it isn't a grammar based response as you falsely claim. A fetus is not a person in being until birth.
First of all I disagree on you with "in being" in regards to how it was used. Existence was a more proper word to use there. Also I like how you finally admit your posistion. You don't believe life happens until birth so you're against the biblical posistion of god knowing us before he formed us. Of god having a purpose for forming everything and declaring the ends at the beginning

Upvote 0

-V-

Sep 16, 2016
USA
✟38,038.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
A fetus is not a person in being unless it survives to be born. Legal term.
Well, see, I was right. You ARE talking about legality. As a Christian, I would expect one's view should be determined by God's Word, not what some politicians decided. I see no reason to think those politicians are correct.

• Agree
Reactions: Pilgrim
Upvote 0

Monna

Feb 5, 2017
Oicha Beni
✟105,254.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
All the pro-choice argument is is that a woman has the right [to] choose what to do with her body,

How far are you willing to go with this argument?

Apply it to other aspects of a woman's life, and test whether or not you really do want to hold to it. If you conclude that there is even one area of life in which a woman (or a man for that matter) does not have exclusive right to do as s/he pleases with her/his body or any part thereof, then the basis of the entire argument falls apart.

Upvote 0

Marvin Knox

Senior Veteran
May 9, 2014
✟84,598.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Not sure what a "desiscision" is, but the decision must remain with the pregnant woman.
No - the decision should remain with the child to whom God gave life.
A fetus is not a person in being unless it survives to be born. Legal term.
God's "legal terms" supersede the legal terms of men. This is a Christian forum.

This isn't spirittual rocket surgery.

Jesus Christ was both fully God and fully human. Christianity 101.

When, exactly did God in Christ become fully man as well as fully God?

Hint --- It wasn't in the 2nd or 3rd trimester and it darn sure wasn't when He was acknowledged to have survived the delivery in the stable or when Mary counted all of His fingers and toes and though Him worthy of being pronounced fully human.

Jesus was fully human in His mother's womb.

It happened when the Holy Spirit overshadowed Mary. It happened at the moment of conception.

The incarnate Lord is the achetypical "human" being born of woman.

When you kill an baby in the mother's womb - you are killing a human being.

Again, it's not exactly spiritual rocket science.

The only question before you should be whether you will be light in the world or hide your light under a basket.

[Staff edit].

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Agree
Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
Morgantown, West Virginia, USA
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
First of all I disagree on you with "in being" in regards to how it was used. Existence was a more proper word to use there.

No, "person in being" is the proper legal term. You might also see the term "life in being." The meaning is the same.

Also I like how you finally admit your posistion. You don't believe life happens until birth so you're against the biblical posistion of god knowing us before he formed us. Of god having a purpose for forming everything and declaring the ends at the beginning

Actually I've haven't said anywhere in this thread exactly where I believe life begins. Please stop making stuff up.

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Well, see, I was right. You ARE talking about legality. As a Christian, I would expect one's view should be determined by God's Word, not what some politicians decided. I see no reason to think those politicians are correct.
What politicians?

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
No - the decision should remain with the child to whom God gave life.

I see. So God didn't give life to the pregnant woman?

God's "legal terms" supersede the legal terms of men. This is a Christian forum.

This is a secular nation.

[Staff edit].

Reactions: Tetra
Upvote 0

Rajni

☯ Ego ad Eum pertinent ☯
Site Supporter
Dec 26, 2007
Visit site
✟1,241,808.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Single
[Staff edit].

"Because they allow abortions to take place without any opposition"? I didn't say any such thing, you're attempting a straw man fallacy here.
Apparently you didn't read my post. You didn't say it, someone else did. It's not a straw man fallacy, it's a solid man fact; it's actually a thing. It might help to go back and revisit my previous post to find the link to the one I referencing.

Further, how can you say God "gives no opposition" to murder when He directly condemns it in the Bible and proscribes the death penalty for it? That's isn't considered opposition to you??
If I were all-powerful, I wouldn't let my opposition stop with words in an ancient text. Seriously, how can that be seen as a sincere attempt at opposition? Heck, Ananias and Sapphira were allegedly struck dead right on the spot over their dishonesty about money of all things, something that pro-lifers likely wouldn't consider a concern nearly as immediate as abortion. Adam and Eve ate a piece of fruit (surely abortion would be worse ... right?) and -- *boom!* -- immediate eviction from the Garden.

Also, regarding the death penalty (which, let's face it, is just the pro-choice position drawing the line elsewhere in the human life-span), how does killing someone convey the message that killing is wrong? And let's dispense with the hair-splitting of what constitutes "killing" and what constitutes "murder." Both end the same way for the recipient of such treatment.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Rajni

☯ Ego ad Eum pertinent ☯
Site Supporter
Dec 26, 2007
Visit site
✟1,241,808.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Single
Incidentally, I find it very intriguing that the post regarding the biblical support for life beginning at breath (rather than at conception) doesn't seem to have yet been addressed. I'm wondering why that is? Did I miss where someone has addressed it, or are people truly that thoroughly programmed in what their respective churches tell them ("conception! conception! conception!") that considering another view would be just to painful to bear (one found in scripture, no less ... or maybe that's the problem?)?
proxy

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Incidentally, I find it very intriguing that the post regarding the biblical support for life beginning at breath (rather than at conception) doesn't seem to have yet been addressed. I'm wondering why that is? Did I miss where someone has addressed it, or are people truly that thoroughly programmed in what their respective churches tell them ("conception! conception! conception!") that considering another view would be just to painful to bear (one found in scripture, no less ... or maybe that's the problem?)?
proxy
My understanding is that our Jewish friends believe that life begins with the first breath, and that up to that moment if there is a choice between saving the life of the pregnant woman and the life of the fetus, the pregnant woman is the one who is saved.

Upvote 0

-V-

Sep 16, 2016
USA
✟38,038.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
And let's dispense with the hair-splitting of what constitutes "killing" and what constitutes "murder".
Wow, ok. The idea that there is no difference between "killing" and "murder" is just preposterous. I really don't have anything else to say if that is the mindset you're going to try and hold. There's no way to have a reasonable discussion under such circumstances.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

-V-

Sep 16, 2016
USA
✟38,038.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Incidentally, I find it very intriguing that the post regarding the biblical support for life beginning at breath (rather than at conception) doesn't seem to have yet been addressed.
Very well. You base your claim on:
1. Adam's creation.
This is irrelevant because Adam was a special case of creation. No one else was made by the same method.

2. Ezekiel 37.
That's *really* a stretch to claim that has anything to do with when a baby becomes alive. It's a symbolic vision. Do babies form bones-first, and then after that, muscles grow, and then lastly, skin over that? No. That's not how it works at all.

3. Job 34.
First, Job is *poetry*. Second, taking someone's breath until they're dead doesn't prove unborn babies aren't alive until they breath. You can also deprive someone of water until they die. Therefore, since water is needed to support life, we can morally kill newborn babies who haven't yet had anything to drink, right?

Lastly, unborn babies *DO BREATHE*. They simply do it through the umbilical cord rather than through their lungs.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Tetra

Dec 18, 2016
Earth
✟64,448.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My understanding is that our Jewish friends believe that life begins with the first breath, and that up to that moment if there is a choice between saving the life of the pregnant woman and the life of the fetus, the pregnant woman is the one who is saved.
I can tell you that without question, if the life of my wife was in danger... it's my wife's life that would be spared.

Prioritizing the mother is also in line with the Biblical account.

Reactions: Archivist
Upvote 0

Tetra

Dec 18, 2016
Earth
✟64,448.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Very well. You base your claim on:
1. Adam's creation.
This is irrelevant because Adam was a special case of creation. No one else was made by the same method.
I think technically speaking, assuming the Genesis account is accurate in regards to the creation of mankind, we only know that Adam was the first created human. The Bible doesn't specify if he was the ONLY created human. ;)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.