✟30,305.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Priests can marry
Deacons I believe can marry and I don't believe there are age restrictions. Best leave this one to Polycarp1 or someone more knowledgeable than I...
In some provinces of the AC, yes. Women can be deacons, priests, and bishops in the ECUSA.
If "Extraordinary Ministers" means things like "Eucharistic Ministers" and the such, we have them as well.

Upvote 0

Polycarp1

Born-again Liberal Episcopalian
Sep 4, 2003
USA
✟25,875.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
We hold to the traditional threefold ministry of the Apostolic Church: Bishops, Priests, and Deacons.

The diocese I joined the Episcopal Church in had only transitional deacons -- just like in Catholicism, people who are serving a term in the Diaconate before being ordained to the Priesthood. The one I'm in how has vocational deacons who serve in a number of roles throughout the diocese. A friend of my wife's is a deacon who is head (and half the staff) of a Disability Advocacy ministry headquartered in Greensboro, NC. (I.e., people who serve professionally as advocates and paper-pushers for the disabled, particularly the mentally disabled who need assistance in showing that they qualify for SSI and such.)

Nearly all Episcopal parish churches call rectors who are the equivalent of Catholic pastors. Small mission churches get vicars or join themselves with other churches in "clusters" which together employ a rector. The larger churches have two or more priests serving them; formerly any priest assisting the rector was a curate, but the tendency lately has been to identify their roles with titles that are appropriate. The church we attended in Watertown was at one point headed by a man who excelled in preaching and administration but was poor at pastoral care, and knew it. He therefore had the Vestry employ another priest who was the Pastoral Associate, with primary duty for providing pastoral care. My own church is served by a married couple, one of whom is Rector and the other Associate Rector -- they look on their work as a team ministry, operating as equals except for the rare occasions when the legal authority of the Rector is required.

Bishops are heads of dioceses, of course, with a very few in other roles. In addition to the diocesan bishop, there are three other categories of bishops working in dioceses:
1. When the diocesan bishop is contemplating retirement from full-time diocesan ministry and authority, he informs the diocese of his intent, and they elect a Bishop Coadjutor, who assists him while learning the ropes until he retires, and then succeeds as diocesan.
2. Larger dioceses will have one or more Bishops Suffragan, who are assistants to the diocesan bishop, with no right of succession. (They may of course be chosen by other dioceses as their new diocesan bishop.)
3. Retired bishops will often work part-time on an ongoing basis or fill in on an emergency basis as Assistant Bishops. (E.g., Pittsburgh needs about 1 1/2 bishops' services, and they have a half-time Assistant. A diocese where the diocesan or suffragan dies suddenly or becomes critically ill will have a retired bishop step in to help carry the load.)
4. I should mention that we have a Presiding Bishop who is the chief executive for the church as a whole, without diocesan duties but with a broad range of program responsibilities and the duty to attempt to "herd cats" by speaking with authority to the national church as a whole. He is explicitly not an Archbishop, and does not have the power of the metropolitan, as in the Catholic and Orthodox churches and in some branches of the Anglican Communion (the Church of England, Canada, Australia, and Wales have Archbishops who are metropolitans). [This is the reason why the ordinary of a diocese is not the suffragan as he is in Catholicism, but rather his assistant if there is one.]

We call men and women, single or married, to the diaconate, the priesthood, and the episcopacy. The first woman diocesan bishop of our church, in Vermont, just retired a year ago. And last year's General Convention added to our calendar of saints the first woman ordained priest in the Anglican Communion, Florence Li Tim-Oi.

We like to think that all our ministers are extraordinary! ;) But in the sense you're asking, yes, there are laymen set apart to administer the Eucharist.

My wife is a Chalice Bearer licensed by the diocese, who has felt called to that ministry, and trained for it. In this diocese, each church is authorized a specific number of chalice bearers based on the number of communicants.

Our parish has five Lay Eucharistic Ministers to the Ill and Infirm, whose duty it is to take the consecrated elements to the sick and shut-ins as needed (most Sundays there is at least one person needing this ministry) and lead a brief service based on the form for Communion Under Special Circumstances (p.398 BCP). The Priests of course will also visit the sick and deliver communion, but having lay parishioners do it as well emphasizes that the visitation is in behalf of the parish, not the private ministry of the priest to the individual.

In our parish, there is one man authorized to administer the bread when insufficient priests are available to administer communion in a timely manner. I believe this is standard practice to have someone on hand in an emergency.

(We were friends with Ed, an elderly Lay Reader/Chalice Bearer in upstate New York who may have been the only layman ever to validly and licitly read the Eucharistic Prayer in a formal church service. He was assisting a priest handling services at a small rural church where he (Ed) read Morning Prayer on most Sundays and the priest celebrated the Eucharist every few weeks -- and the priest had laryngitis and lost his voice during the Liturgy of the Word. So Ed read the Eucharist aloud while the priest celebrated sotto voce, performing the manual acts and reciting the Eucharistic Prayer quietly as best he could! :))

Upvote 0

BAChristian

Discerning the Diaconate. Please pray for me.
Aug 17, 2003
Indiana
✟13,847.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Wow, thanks for the info...

So you do have Permanent Deacons? That's cool. You'd think you'd find a lot of permanent Deacons in the Catholic Church...but even in our Diocese, the number is still low...not as low as Priests, however.

I, personally, would like to see the Vatican allow Priests who serve in Associate roles (that is, those Priests who don't look after a parish and its community) to be married. We have an ex-Anglican turned Catholic who is married. Obviously, changing that tradition (note the lowercase) isn't a doctrinal change, so it would be allowed.

As you probably know, I am discerning my call to the Diaconate. If I were single right now, I dare say I'd already be in seminary to become a Priest... :)

Please pray for me, my brothers, that the Lord will continue to guide my discernment. I have to wait until I'm 35, but I really don't have a problem with that, since I know why the Church requires you to wait...

Upvote 0

PaladinValer

Traditional Orthodox Anglican
Apr 7, 2004
Myrtle Beach, SC
✟30,305.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
**Prays for BA**

I too am considering joining the clergy as well. Probably as a permanent deacon but perhaps I'll go for full priesthood. I've had a strong pull over a number of months now, and it may be what God wants me to do in addition to my secular vocation.

So please pray for me too BA and everyone else!

Upvote 0

BAChristian

Aug 17, 2003
Indiana
✟13,847.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
PaladinValer said:
So please pray for me too BA and everyone else!
Of course!

:prayer: For PV's discernment of his vocational calling. May the Lord strengthen his followers with more dedicated Priests.

Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee. Blessed art thou amongst women, and blessed is the fruit of thine womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, mother of God, pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of our death. Amen.

Upvote 0

Polycarp1

Born-again Liberal Episcopalian
Sep 4, 2003
USA
✟25,875.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Almighty God, the giver of all good gifts, in Your divine Providence You have appointed various orders in Your Church: Give your grace, we humbly pray to all who are called to any office and ministry for Your people; and so fill them with the truth of Your doctrine and clothe them with holiness of life, that they may faithfully serve before You, to the glory of Your great Name and for the benefit of Your holy Church; through Jesus Christ our Lord, Who lives and reigns with You, in the unity of the Holy Spirit, one God, now and forever.

(Collect for the Ministry I, p. 256 BCP)

Upvote 0

PaladinValer

Traditional Orthodox Anglican
Apr 7, 2004
Myrtle Beach, SC
✟30,305.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Father, we pray for your holy Catholic Church;
That we all may be one.

Grant that every member of the Church may truly and
humbly serve you;
That your Name may be glorified by al people.

We pray for all bishops, priests, and deacons;
That they may be faithful ministers of your Word and
Sacraments.

-Book of Common Prayer, "Prayers of the People," Form III, lines 1-3

Upvote 0

Colabomb

I seek sin like a moth towards flame, save me God.
Nov 27, 2003
Visit site
✟19,125.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
BAChristian said:
Wow, thanks for the info...

So you do have Permanent Deacons? That's cool. You'd think you'd find a lot of permanent Deacons in the Catholic Church...but even in our Diocese, the number is still low...not as low as Priests, however.

I, personally, would like to see the Vatican allow Priests who serve in Associate roles (that is, those Priests who don't look after a parish and its community) to be married. We have an ex-Anglican turned Catholic who is married. Obviously, changing that tradition (note the lowercase) isn't a doctrinal change, so it would be allowed.

As you probably know, I am discerning my call to the Diaconate. If I were single right now, I dare say I'd already be in seminary to become a Priest... :)

Please pray for me, my brothers, that the Lord will continue to guide my discernment. I have to wait until I'm 35, but I really don't have a problem with that, since I know why the Church requires you to wait...
May you do the Will of God!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BAChristian

Aug 17, 2003
Indiana
✟13,847.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
benedictine said:
I'm thinking about the priesthood as well. How exactly does one go about becoming a candadite?
If you'd like to ever chitchat about your calling, feel free to IM or PM me. I too enjoy talking to others discerning their ministerial calling...

Pax Christi!

Upvote 0

TomUK

What would Costanza do?
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2004
Lancashire, UK
✟62,145.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Conservative
benedictine said:
I'm thinking about the priesthood as well. How exactly does one go about becoming a candadite?

Very quick summary as to the process in the Church of England. First you speak to your Priest or another member of the clergy. Usually what they will do is want to have a few sessions with you over a period of time (perhaps six months or so) during which they will talk to you about your faith, your prayer life, how you became a Christian, why you think you should become ordained etc. It is doubtful that your Priest will refuse to take the process any further- think of this stage more as a period of clarification for yourself so you can discover whether this is really the thing for you. During this time, the Priest will have probably contacted the diocesan director of ordinands. Essentially this guy is a representative of your Bishop and he will go through similar questions to your Priest. If he feels you are suitable he will probably arrange an appointment for you meet with your Bishop (as far as i see it, this is a more a courtesy than a necessary step. after all, it is essentially your Bishop who will putting you through theological college.) So if everything has gone OK up to this point, the DDO will put your name forward to a selection committee. This is usually a weekend away with other people who are also being called. Over this weekend there will be a series of lectures, seminars, exercises etc. From what i've heard it's quite a gruelling experience. After all that, the committee will make a decision whether or not to allow you to attend a theological college.

It is impossible to say exactly how long this process takes, but mentally you should be preparing yourself for about two years.

As i said, that's for CofE and i'm not sure if ECUSA is different at all. Don't be put off by the length of time however. Remember why it is you want to become a member of the clergy, and perhaps more importantly why God wants you to become a member of the clergy. He shall support you through the entire process, no matter what the outcome.

Upvote 0

chalice_thunder

Senior Veteran
Jan 13, 2004
Seattle
Visit site
✟7,202.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
My prayers go out to all of you who are discerning a call to ordained ministry.

I've been a lay professional for 25 years, with a discerned call to ordination since I was 12 or so. I finally allowed myself to begin the process formally 4 years ago - it's a long and arduous process, and it is full of enlightenment, bitterness, joy and sometimes despair. But - it's ALL in God, so it's all good.

Currently I am a postulant for the Priesthood - and I am just letting that be there for awhile. I definitely have "authority issues" so the collar is not necessarily the best thing for me. I have learned to exercise my priesthood through music and liturgy thus far - and may end up doing that the rest of my life...maybe not. We shall see what the Holy Spirit says day by day.

In the meantime - again, my prayers are with you. May this time of discernment be rich and challenging. Amen.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.