Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Hello, all. I'm currently discerning if the priesthood in the Byzantine Rite of Catholicism is a good life path for me.

The details of this rite are not the point of this question, so no worries if you're someone who doesn't even know what the Byzantine Rite may be, as I was a year or so ago. I don't believe you have to know this detail to offer a little help.

I have recently graduated college with a fine Theology degree (thank you to everyone who years ago encouraged me & prayed for me at this decision). Not interested in grad school, but having taken a passion for Byzantine Catholicism, I'm searching for jobs near a Byzantine church. This, I feel confidently to be a good move. Since I feel called to the priesthood, but also new to this rite, I (and the Byzantine spiritual director who replied to my email) feel it best to be well-connected with a Byzantine parish before applying for seminary.

I know there is a lot of details there that we could spend hours on, but bear with me, we're getting to the point where I ask for advice.

The question is, should I be connected with a Byzantine parish? Or should I search only for jobs near a Byzantine seminary?

I live in Indiana, and the seminary is in Pittsburgh. I love cities, and I love Pennsylvania. Pittsburgh seems to be about 6 hours from my home (by car), which really isn't as bad as I expected.

I know nothing about Pittsburgh, and I have some relatives I don't know outside of Harrisburg, that's the closest it comes to any connections in the area.

I could also apply for jobs around Chicago, where there's a few Byzantine churches, but not a seminary. Surely I could be well-connected with a Byzantine church in Aurora, and I have several extended family members in that area. I have never been close to my extended family, by no choice of my own. Grandparents & cousins & uncles & aunts are people I may see for a few holidays, and some send me a birthday card, but that's about it. A name I know, someone I see at funerals or weddings sometimes, and that's it.

Going to college in Chicagoland has brought me closer to a few retirement-age relatives, and it's not too far from my uncle & his young family. I would like to prioritize family more, make up for lost time with how separated my relatives have become.

So what do you think? If I am called to priesthood, I'll end up at the seminary one way or another. I could live around Chicago & spend a few years building relations with extended family before heading to Pittsburgh for seminary. This could surely bring blessings upon my family.

But even though there's more family around Chicago than Pennsylvania, I could be a much-needed link to my aunt's family near Harrisburg if I lived in Pittsburgh. Then I would still be connected to the seminary, which would surely lead me to good discussions with the seminarians that could aid my journey, and considering the amount of places I've bounced around in recent years, I like the idea of stability.

So I'll finally shut up now & let you all reply...and please pray before doing so, because we're more helpful when we align with God.

Tigger45

Pray like your life depends on it!
Site Supporter
Aug 24, 2012
E. Eden
✟1,270,986.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
I think your spiritual director gave wise advice to become well connected to a Byzantine rite parish being that a vocation to the priesthood is all consuming and should be well vetted out before pursuing.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I'm wondering if it wouldn't be a good idea to speak first with the people at the seminary--the admissions office, counselors, etc. I am confident that your situation and concerns are not something that they haven't dealt with before.

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,324.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Hello, all. I'm currently discerning if the priesthood in the Byzantine Rite of Catholicism is a good life path for me.

The details of this rite are not the point of this question, so no worries if you're someone who doesn't even know what the Byzantine Rite may be, as I was a year or so ago. I don't believe you have to know this detail to offer a little help.

I have recently graduated college with a fine Theology degree (thank you to everyone who years ago encouraged me & prayed for me at this decision). Not interested in grad school, but having taken a passion for Byzantine Catholicism, I'm searching for jobs near a Byzantine church. This, I feel confidently to be a good move. Since I feel called to the priesthood, but also new to this rite, I (and the Byzantine spiritual director who replied to my email) feel it best to be well-connected with a Byzantine parish before applying for seminary.

I know there is a lot of details there that we could spend hours on, but bear with me, we're getting to the point where I ask for advice.

The question is, should I be connected with a Byzantine parish? Or should I search only for jobs near a Byzantine seminary?

I live in Indiana, and the seminary is in Pittsburgh. I love cities, and I love Pennsylvania. Pittsburgh seems to be about 6 hours from my home (by car), which really isn't as bad as I expected.

I know nothing about Pittsburgh, and I have some relatives I don't know outside of Harrisburg, that's the closest it comes to any connections in the area.

I could also apply for jobs around Chicago, where there's a few Byzantine churches, but not a seminary. Surely I could be well-connected with a Byzantine church in Aurora, and I have several extended family members in that area. I have never been close to my extended family, by no choice of my own. Grandparents & cousins & uncles & aunts are people I may see for a few holidays, and some send me a birthday card, but that's about it. A name I know, someone I see at funerals or weddings sometimes, and that's it.

Going to college in Chicagoland has brought me closer to a few retirement-age relatives, and it's not too far from my uncle & his young family. I would like to prioritize family more, make up for lost time with how separated my relatives have become.

So what do you think? If I am called to priesthood, I'll end up at the seminary one way or another. I could live around Chicago & spend a few years building relations with extended family before heading to Pittsburgh for seminary. This could surely bring blessings upon my family.

But even though there's more family around Chicago than Pennsylvania, I could be a much-needed link to my aunt's family near Harrisburg if I lived in Pittsburgh. Then I would still be connected to the seminary, which would surely lead me to good discussions with the seminarians that could aid my journey, and considering the amount of places I've bounced around in recent years, I like the idea of stability.

So I'll finally shut up now & let you all reply...and please pray before doing so, because we're more helpful when we align with God.
I recall a missionary in the past telling me that 'mission is where you are"

It would indeed be good to have a place to work after seminary is completed. However, keeping your passion for ministry alive involves continuing to practice it in your surroundings. As the proverb said better a friend that is near than a brother who is far, and also the saying of James faith without works is dead - the context of the letter gives examples of displaying concern for others in tangible ways - so connecting with a ministry in the area of your seminary for the time you spend in a place 6 hours away may be good for your spiritual health.

Upvote 0

Pavel Mosko

Arch-Dude of the Apostolic
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Since I feel called to the priesthood, but also new to this rite, I (and the Byzantine spiritual director who replied to my email) feel it best to be well-connected with a Byzantine parish before applying for seminary.

I think that is standard advice for any Eastern Church including those outside of Catholicism. It's good advice.

I would say go for the low hanging fruit and work on that.

Upvote 0

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟335,136.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
You've gotten some good advice so far. I'll add this: I think it's good to live in different places for its own sake, to broaden your horizons. So, it could be good to experience Pittsburgh (or Chicago) just because it's a new place.

Upvote 0

Pavel Mosko

Arch-Dude of the Apostolic
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

That sounds really good I would probably make that my plan A...

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟909,835.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
A lot of good advice here - but on a separate topic - I want to applaud your initiative for going to a part of the board open to non-Catholics to post this question. The more exposure to Christian views in the general population - the better equipped you will be to serve in a community that is not all one denomination or the other.

Upvote 0

FutureAndAHope

Just me
Site Supporter
Aug 30, 2008
Australia
Visit site
✟734,719.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Personally, I don't know exactly what the Byzantine churches teach. But to me, truth is important, as far as I am concerned the Catholic church has changed so much from what the early church was, that I would never recommend it. As Christians, we are to be voices for truth.

How can you be a voice for truth, when the Catholic church teaches Purgatory, and prayer through saints.

The bible does not teach Purgatory, only Heaven, and Hell, so if a church is teaching a lie should you be a part of it?

Also, God is highly approachable, we can come boldly to the throne room of grace to receive help in our time of need, we don't need saintly mediators.

We must all teach truth, and not excuse lies in our denominations.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,503,935.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Having been through the discernment process in my own church, and moved parishes during that process, I'd encourage you to put down roots in a parish.

If you do go on to get ordained, most of your work is likely to be parish work. Experiencing parish life, its highs and lows, its conflicts and challenges, and contributing your gifts to that life, will be important grist to the mill for your discernment.

There's no substitute for actually being involved in a church community, its liturgical life and mission, its social dynamics, and so on. Seminary is a completely different environment and, in many ways, not at all comparable.

Upvote 0

GreekOrthodox

Psalti Chrysostom
Oct 25, 2010
Yorktown VA
✟176,342.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
If the Eastern Catholic process is similar to the EO, you will need your bishop's endorsement. There would be a lot to it. First, you'll need to be connected to a Byzantine parish and get to know the rhythm of life most likely for a few years, yes, years. Get to know the priest, volunteer to serve where you can especially in the services. Seek regular attendance for the sacraments. Get to know the clergy and your bishop. You may find that your bishop may be open to "convert" clerical candidates, or not. They may have a preference for home-grown candidates. I had met +Nicholas of Detroit a handful of times before I even applied to the seminary and had developed a good relationship with my priest.

Although you are single, you may want to consider marriage before you get ordained and your wife will have a say in the matter.

Upvote 0

Unofficial Reverand Alex

Pray in silence...God speaks softly
Site Supporter
Dec 22, 2017
The Mystical Lands of Rural Indiana
Visit site
✟526,763.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Just want to thank you all for your input. Definitely a lot of different backgrounds represented in these responses, which is what I was looking for.

• Friendly
Reactions: Paidiske
Upvote 0