Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
As his sixth birthday approached, my younger son made a big noise about it.

His anticipation was so great that he got jolly a week early, counting down each day, reminding everyone that it was “almost” his birthday, and even declaring — many times — that his sibling should be extra nice to him because “my birthday is coming!” When the day finally arrived, we did everything we could to ensure it was all he clearly hoped it would be.

Imagine my surprise, then, when the very next day – with half-spent balloons floating about wearily and the dog helpfully cleaning up stray cake frosting throughout the house — he announced that the celebration should continue because, “It was my birthday yesterday!”

His older brother, fully fed up, rolled his eyes. I understood and tried to let the post-party boy know, as gently as I could, that the world wasn’t actually all about him, and that everyone gets a turn being celebrated. I don’t remember exactly, but I likely said something exceptionally kind and sensitive like, “Kid, read the room and get over it. Someone else’s birthday is today.”

‘Summer of Pride’​

Continued below.

Reactions: WarriorAngel

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟441,092.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
The memory resurfaced when I heard U.S. Assistant Secretary for Health Admiral Rachel Levine suggest a celebratory extension of Pride Month, announcing, “Let the ‘Summer of Pride’ begin!”
As the man behind the counter of a Jewish deli once responded to my request for a corned beef sandwich with mayo, “Girly, let’s not.”

Giggle. ^_^

• Haha
Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0