Preterists, how do you answer Israel Only?

Residential Bob

Dec 24, 2018
Ormond Beach
✟18,113.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You may already know the I/O position, but I’ll summarize just in case.

Jesus came only for the lost sheep of the house of Israel, as he says to the Syrophoenician woman in Matthew 15:24. Paul iterates this sentiment to the Galatian churches, telling them that Jesus came to redeem those under the law (Gal 4:5). As the law condemned only Israelites (and Jews), then redemption did not extend to foreigners.

On top of that, both Jesus and St. Paul use epithets in referring to foreigners; Jesus calls this woman a dog (Mt 15:26) and to foreigners in general as pigs, as in the parable of the prodigal son, and St. Paul calls foreigners barbarians, as in Colossians 3:11.

Some Preterists have despaired of these passages and implications, even to the point of abandoning their faith. I/O advocates are atheists, ultimately. I myself have stood on the edge of the I/O cliff, but in view of historical and cultural context, stopped just short of jumping. And of course I cannot forget my own salvation experience.

Have you ever contemplated I/O? And if so, does it still haunt you in some measure? And how do you combat it?

Lost4words

Jesus I Trust In You
Site Supporter
May 19, 2018
Neath, Wales, UK
✟1,012,814.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
On top of that, both Jesus and St. Paul use epithets in referring to foreigners; Jesus calls this woman a dog (Mt 15:26) and to foreigners in general as pigs, as in the parable of the prodigal son, and St. Paul calls foreigners barbarians, as in Colossians 3:11.

So very very wrong indeed!

• Agree
Reactions: ToBeLoved
Upvote 0

Lost4words

Jesus I Trust In You
Site Supporter
May 19, 2018
Neath, Wales, UK
✟1,012,814.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Well, these are in fact the words of the Scriptures.

No they are not. Its your interpretation of what those words actually mean which is very far from the truth.

Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟325,251.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Israel Only.

Ok. I see now. You've grossly misrepresented the teachings of Jesus and Paul regarding foreigners, and I don't see how any of that speaks to preterism.

Upvote 0

Residential Bob

Dec 24, 2018
Ormond Beach
✟18,113.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Ok. I see now. You've grossly misrepresented the teachings of Jesus and Paul regarding foreigners, and I don't see how any of that speaks to preterism.
What is the misrepresentation? Did Jesus not say that he came only for the lost sheep of the house of Israel? Did he not send his disciples to preach the kingdom only to Israelites? Did St. Paul not say that Christ came "to redeem those who were under the law"?

Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟325,251.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
What is the misrepresentation? Did Jesus not say that he came only for the lost sheep of the house of Israel? Did he not send his disciples to preach the kingdom only to Israelites? Did St. Paul not say that Christ came "to redeem those who were under the law"?

And shortly after the resurrection he told his apostles "Go and make disciples of all nations", and Paul was appointed specifically to be the apostle to the gentiles.

Upvote 0

Righttruth

Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2015
✟176,910.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Jesus came only for the lost sheep of the house of Israel, as he says to the Syrophoenician woman in Matthew 15:24. Paul iterates this sentiment to the Galatian churches, telling them that Jesus came to redeem those under the law (Gal 4:5). As the law condemned only Israelites (and Jews), then redemption did not extend to foreigners.

Some Preterists have despaired of these passages and implications, even to the point of abandoning their faith. I/O advocates are atheists, ultimately. I myself have stood on the edge of the I/O cliff, but in view of historical and cultural context, stopped just short of jumping. And of course I cannot forget my own salvation experience.

Have you ever contemplated I/O? And if so, does it still haunt you in some measure? And how do you combat it?
It is not I/O; it is Jesus only!

Reactions: ItIsFinished!
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Residential Bob

Dec 24, 2018
Ormond Beach
✟18,113.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
And shortly after the resurrection he told his apostles "Go and make disciples of all nations", and Paul was appointed specifically to be the apostle to the gentiles.
First, may I ask if you're a Preterist. Preterists consider time statements and audience relevance when they read scripture, as you must know if you are one. They read the Scriptures for what they say sans any presuppositions or eschatological theory (as in futurism).

They start reconsidering what nations actually means, if the Gentiles were not the diaspora, and all the rest. It's an intellectual pursuit, really. Very liberating.

But also troubling because logically it can be taken to an extreme.

That's my concern. I'm a Christian. And I read passages in the Bible for what they say, even those that say that Israelites are no longer Abraham's progeny by blood but rather by faith and that their organs aren't circumcised but their hearts are. That's all well and good, and gives me comfort, but I encounter I/Oers on occasion who point to verse after verse written by, for, and about the Israelites who were physically descended from Abraham. Even Luke was no longer a foreigner when he wrote his gospel and the Acts.

I was just curious about how others might respond to this ideology.

• Useful
Reactions: JazzHands
Upvote 0

mkgal1

His perfect way sets me free. 2 Samuel 22:33
Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
As I understand, in order for Daniel's
prophecy to be fulfilled - there were 7 "weeks" (translated to years) to confirm His covenant with His people (those under the Mosaic covenant). That means that 3.5 of those years were covered by His ministry - and the remaining 3.5 years were when the gospel was shared in synagogues after His death and resurrection. It looks like this:

8897-70-Week-Prophecy.jpg

Claninja started a thread a while back regarding this, here: If there is a gap, Daniel 9:24 becomes a false statement

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Southernscotty

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2018
Arkansas
✟504,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Celibate
Friend, Jesus spoke to the jews and Israel however He spoke to the apostle Paul on the Damascus road in a Spiritual state and gave him the gospel that we are saved by believing 1 Cor 15 1-4
Paul is the apostle to the gentiles
We are saved by grace through faith and this is God's gift.
Israel will be saved after the number of gentiles are completed

Upvote 0

Residential Bob

Dec 24, 2018
Ormond Beach
✟18,113.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Friend, Jesus spoke to the jews and Israel however He spoke to the apostle Paul on the Damascus road in a Spiritual state and gave him the gospel that we are saved by believing 1 Cor 15 1-4
Paul is the apostle to the gentiles
We are saved by grace through faith and this is God's gift.
Israel will be saved after the number of gentiles are completed
You don't appear to be a Preterist, either, my friend. I would love to dialogue with you some time, but honestly, Preterists are really about the only ones who might relate to the topic, which is why I addressed them.

Upvote 0

1stcenturylady

Spirit-filled follower of Christ
Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican

I'm so confused. Are you Preterist, or not. Is I/O Preterist or not?

I am not Preterist, so maybe you don't want me to post an opinion, but it is true that Jesus came (first) only to the House of Israel. But later, starting with Peter, gave him permission to start preaching to Gentiles in Acts 10, starting with Cornelius, when He showed Peter a vision of the unclean/common animals, and said “What God has cleansed you must not call common.” So there was a point when the edict changed to include Gentiles. Read Romans 11. It shows that Gentiles who accepted Christ were grafted into what we now call Spiritual Israel, consisting of Jews and Gentiles, still making I/O accurate, except what now consists of Spiritual Israel - a mixture of Jew and Gentile into "one new man."

Ephesians 2:
11 Therefore remember that you, once Gentiles in the flesh—who are called Uncircumcision by what is called the Circumcision made in the flesh by hands— 12 that at that time you were without Christ, being aliens from the commonwealth of Israel and strangers from the covenants of promise, having no hope and without God in the world. 13 But now in Christ Jesus you who once were far off have been brought near by the blood of Christ.

14 For He Himself is our peace, who has made both one, and has broken down the middle wall of separation, 15 having abolished in His flesh the enmity, that is, the law of commandments contained in ordinances, so as to create in Himself one new man from the two, thus making peace, 16 and that He might reconcile them both to God in one body through the cross, thereby putting to death the enmity. 17 And He came and preached peace to you who were afar off and to those who were near. 18 For through Him we both have access by one Spirit to the Father.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Erik Nelson

Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2017
Utah
✟347,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
it is true that Jesus came (first) only to the House of Israel. But later, starting with Peter, gave him permission to start preaching to Gentiles in Acts 10, starting with Cornelius, when He showed Peter a vision of the unclean/common animals, and said “What God has cleansed you must not call common.” So there was a point when the edict changed to include Gentiles. Read Romans 11. It shows that Gentiles who accepted Christ were grafted into what we now call Spiritual Israel, consisting of Jews and Gentiles, still making I/O accurate, except what now consists of Spiritual Israel - a mixture of Jew and Gentile into "one new man."

Ephesians 2:
11 Therefore remember that you, once Gentiles in the flesh—who are called Uncircumcision by what is called the Circumcision made in the flesh by hands— 12 that at that time you were without Christ, being aliens from the commonwealth of Israel and strangers from the covenants of promise, having no hope and without God in the world. 13 But now in Christ Jesus you who once were far off have been brought near by the blood of Christ.

14 For He Himself is our peace, who has made both one, and has broken down the middle wall of separation, 15 having abolished in His flesh the enmity, that is, the law of commandments contained in ordinances, so as to create in Himself one new man from the two, thus making peace, 16 and that He might reconcile them both to God in one body through the cross, thereby putting to death the enmity. 17 And He came and preached peace to you who were afar off and to those who were near. 18 For through Him we both have access by one Spirit to the Father.
yes exactly

Acts 10 and the Gentile Mission began about 42 AD. When Saint Peter was forced to flee Jerusalem due to persecution.

That's about 12 years after the resurrection. And according to an early church tradition. Jesus ordered. The Apostles to give the Jews 12 years to repent. And become Christian. Evidently, one year for each of the tribes of Israel. It was only after they rejected Christ once. Crucifixion. And again. 12 years of further rejections, culminating in the persecutions of Saint Peter. Then the head of the church. That the gentile mission was authorized and began.

Upvote 0

mkgal1

His perfect way sets me free. 2 Samuel 22:33
Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Is I/O Preterist or not?
I'm fairly new to understanding preterism - but I can't see how "Israel only" would fall into that framework. It's more in line with what dispensationalists believe (which is also a new term for me).

• Informative
Reactions: Erik Nelson
Upvote 0

1stcenturylady

Spirit-filled follower of Christ
Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
yes exactly

Acts 10 and the Gentile Mission began about 42 AD. When Saint Peter was forced to flee Jerusalem due to persecution.

That's about 12 years after the resurrection. And according to an early church tradition. Jesus ordered. The Apostles to give the Jews 12 years to repent. And become Christian. Evidently, one year for each of the tribes of Israel. It was only after they rejected Christ once. Crucifixion. And again. 12 years of further rejections, culminating in the persecutions of Saint Peter. Then the head of the church. That the gentile mission was authorized and began.

I've never heard of that church tradition.

• Friendly
Reactions: Erik Nelson
Upvote 0

Erik Nelson

Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2017
Utah
✟347,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I'm fairly new to understanding preterism - but I can't see how "Israel only" would fall into that framework. It's more in line with what dispensationalists believe (which is also a new term for me).
Yes, and please remember that context matters. Jesus came to the House of Israel only at first. But they collectively rejected him. Many times over. Eventually. The mission was granted to the Gentiles instead. As the parable of. The wedding feast explains.

Upvote 0