✟84,398.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes, We are now PREPARING for Advent

Advent is the time that we engage in the spiritual preparation for Christmas. So are we not preparing ourselves to prepare?

Well, in a way, YES ! I am not talking about the material things....getting out Christmas music, putting up a tree, lights, nativity scene, decorations......While these are an Expression of the season, they in and of themselves are not the season.
And I am not talking about hanging up the advent calendar, or setting up the advent wreath, though many of us probably already have.

I am talking about getting the material necessities done this week, so that on Sunday, the First Sunday of Advent, we can begin to focus on the spiritual aspect of the holiday. And SPECIFICALLY, I am talking about putting away the "shoulds" when we get out our Christmas season.

Too often, sadly, I hear people who ruin the season for themselves with stress, most of which comes from "shoulds" ....as in "I should be doing this" or "I should not be doing that" ...the vast majority of which are neither necessary or healthy.
We do not live our lives by "shoulds" and we can use the time of pre-advent to sweep them from our minds and experience.
The only should we have to focus on is the Peace and Love of the Holiday season, the spiritual preparation for Christmas. And that is not a should, but rather a Gift......

As we inch towards December, I have already worked hard to get my decorations up, my tree lighted and decorated, all of my Christmas items to where they should be
I enjoy the ability to come home, look around and relish in the beauty of the Christmas season. I enjoy sitting down and having a peaceful time in front of my tree, reading my Advent devotional book. I like that the stress level is very low, and the reward level is very high. I play Christmas music....I find it relaxing, inspiring, and endlessly beautiful. I don;t rush around for material goods, or for obligations, but rather sit and enjoy the moments of the season.....and draw closer to He who made it all possible with the Greatest Gift of All....

JCFantasy23

In a Kingdom by the Sea.
Jul 1, 2008
Lakeland, FL
✟502,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Interesting you mention Christmas music, as some of it has always been my favorite devotional music. I'm pretty behind on everything Christmas, the year is flying by, but I do keep reminding myself I need to do something more this season.

Upvote 0

RickardoHolmes

Aug 10, 2015
✟84,398.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have long found more meaning and fulfillment since I have adopted Advent and Christmas as a mystical/spiritual season. While I do a lot of traditional decorations, gifts, foods, and yes especially MUSIC, I use that only as a means to enhance the spiritual mood and devotional aspects of the holiday season. I think that what is important though is that we each find, individually, what works for us, and pursue that. Eliminating the "Stress" of the season is primal, because most if not all of the stress is that which we ourselves create. By replacing the Stress with the Spiritual aspect, as in "Let go, Let GOD" I have found that I have certainly reached a much healthier and much more enlightening level with the holidays than when I was younger and practiced materialism.

Upvote 0