Discussion Predestiny and Open Salvation Scriptures?

GoldenKingGaze

Prevent Slavery, support the persecuted.
Mar 12, 2007
Visit site
✟251,830.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Labor
Just thinking of what scripture says about open to all salvation versus predestiny. Here are two verses that seem to contradict.
KJV
Joh 12:30 Jesus answered and said, This voice came not because of me, but for your sakes.
Joh 12:31 Now is the judgment of this world: now shall the prince of this world be cast out.
Joh 12:32 And I, if I be lifted up from the earth, will draw all men unto me.
Act 13:48 And when the Gentiles heard this, they were glad, and glorified the word of the Lord: and as many as were ordained to eternal life believed.

nonaeroterraqueous

Nonexistent Member
Aug 16, 2014
✟188,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Act 13:48 And when the Gentiles heard this, they were glad, and glorified the word of the Lord: and as many as were ordained to eternal life believed.

My wife had just stumbled upon this verse a few days ago. She kept trying to impress the verse number on me so I would remember it, but I'm so bad at remembering verse numbers that I forgot it right away. I couldn't find it after that. It's been bugging me ever since.

As far as apparent contradiction in scripture regarding predestination, I'm not sure it's worth the debate, because I know where you stand, and as Calvinistic as I am I figure it would be a frustrating conversation. However, like I always tell people, the apparent contradiction between God's election and our choice is regarded as a paradox by those of us who hold to predestination. Contrary to what many say, we are not so dumb as to suggest that people are robots. It is the Calvinistic position to hold to both. The Arminian position only holds to the human choice, without election by God (or that God elects everyone, which is functionally the same: his choosing or not choosing has no effect on one man coming to salvation and another not).

Trying to explain how both can be true is about like trying to explain how God can be both three and one at the same time. I understand it to my own satisfaction, but the explanation is necessarily abstract.

Upvote 0