Midlands
✟221,057.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Why is it, alot of Christians and people in general, still seem preoccupied with this life.

Yes, badness happens everyday, pain and suffering, but sometimes people let that get the better of them and they start to disbelieve, because of the things that happen in the living human life.

I just think they miss the point sometimes, time on this living earth is a drop in the Ocean compaired to the bigger picture.

If we keep our faith and try to act good in this life, theres a good chance that things will get better, but to lose that faith because of what happens in this world, is the mistake people make, i think.

Bick

Site Supporter
Mar 14, 2005
Garden Grove, California, USA
✟2,141.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Politics
US-Republican
I also see this life, whether long or short, as a time of testing for us human beings.

Paul writes in the letter to the Colossians of their faith in Christ Jesus, their love to all the saints and the hope laid up for them in heaven.

And, as believers, we all experience the above in this life.

Upvote 0

liftmeup

May 12, 2009
✟15,521.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Why is it, alot of Christians and people in general, still seem preoccupied with this life.

Yes, badness happens everyday, pain and suffering, but sometimes people let that get the better of them and they start to disbelieve, because of the things that happen in the living human life.

I just think they miss the point sometimes, time on this living earth is a drop in the Ocean compaired to the bigger picture.

If we keep our faith and try to act good in this life, theres a good chance that things will get better, but to lose that faith because of what happens in this world, is the mistake people make, i think.

You're absolutely right. It perplexes me too. But for the majority of people the after life remains a distant notion. The everyday is much more tangible and people generally do not have extremely strong faith. Lots of people are lukewarm in faith or wavering, or hesitant, ot hedging their bets. Plus there are a million distractions to give you the impression you are going to live here forever and many things from the enemy.

This life is just the porch. We've got to keep our shoes clean for heaven's carpets.

Upvote 0

Kris10leigh

Actively seeking conversion
Feb 23, 2008
✟12,078.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
As in so many areas of my life, I am an oddball when it comes to this subject. I actually look forward to death. I am truly not afraid of it. And I must tell you, I am one of the happiest people you may ever meet, really and truly happy. I am like a light switch, able to switch from a bad mood to a good mood just by choosing to. So I am not at all suicidal. But I am not afraid of death and in some ways welcome it. My only concern is what would become of my children.

Upvote 0

mnphysicist

Have Courage to Trust God!
May 11, 2005
South East Minnesota (east of Rochester)
Visit site
✟57,148.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Democrat

Fascinating... my perception in the Christian community is the reverse... folks want to escape from this life, and focus far too much on the next one. By the same token, I have to agree with your last sentence too...

but to lose that faith because of what happens in this world, is the mistake people make, i think

Interesting question for sure.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed

It is inevitable that we all spend more time thinking about our lives here that our lives in eternity.

Consider going on holiday. Even though you know that when you get there you will be able to sit on a beach, sipping Martinis from a long glass, wearing only a bathing suit, with the prospect of a glorious week ahead of you, you still have to get there.

And that involves sorting the travel arrangements, packing, making sure you get to the airport on time, standing in endless queues, getting very hot and bothered. You know it will all be worth it in the end, but at the point when it feels as if you will never arrive, that beach seems a very long way off indeed.

Our lives here are like that journey. And if we see others around us on that journey, and take pity on them, that is not a bad thing. However, as you say, it is important for us not to forget the reason why we are travelling, and to keep the faith.

Upvote 0

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
This life is just the porch. We've got to keep our shoes clean for heaven's carpets.

Heaven has carpets? :confused:

Heaven has dirt? :confused:

We wear our present shoes in heaven?

How terribly bad mannered of us.

Lord have mercy!

Upvote 0

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
Fascinating... my perception in the Christian community is the reverse... folks want to escape from this life, and focus far too much on the next one.

This is certainly true for many. I suspect I may be one of them. :wave:

Upvote 0