East
✟206,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I really mean no harm at all in this question, and if I word it wrong I apologize. I pray straight to Jesus. So Ive seen the movies where there are people who go to confession, where they sit in this little booth and tell the (priest/father?) their sins.....does that mean that they think/feel their sins are forgiven once they admit them in this confession booth? I do not know the proper name for it. And I know Mary was the mother of Jesus, but do you pray to her, or pray thru her? And what is the purpose of the Pope?

This is simply because I am interested in understanding. I am a Christian, saved sanctified filled with the Holy Spirit. Blood bought and living for the Lord.

Brantley Wills

Feb 7, 2017
Georgia
✟9,747.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I believe you are referring to Catholicism. And yes they do pray to the saints and Mary. Is it right? No not in my opinion. I believe the bible is very clear that Jesus is our intercessor and the only human worthy to be prayed to..

Upvote 0

Saucy

King of CF
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2005
Michigan
✟838,184.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
There are essentially two different branches of Christianity. From those two branches extend all the different denominations. One branch is the Catholic church. They pray to/thru Mary, do the confessional with the father. Their leader is the pope and are more organized.

The other branch are the protestants. They are a bit less on the ceremony of the Catholic church. We have pastors instead of priests. We're more strictly bible-based. I personally am a protestant and wholeheartedly disagree with their doctrine, as they do mine.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I really mean no harm at all in this question, and if I word it wrong I apologize. I pray straight to Jesus. So Ive seen the movies where there are people who go to confession, where they sit in this little booth and tell the (priest/father?) their sins.....does that mean that they think/feel their sins are forgiven once they admit them in this confession booth?
Yes, they do.

I do not know the proper name for it. And I know Mary was the mother of Jesus, but do you pray to her, or pray thru her?
Some Christians do, mainly Roman Catholics and Eastern Orthodox Christians.

And what is the purpose of the Pope?
The Roman Catholic Church believes that Christ chose the Apostle Peter to be the head of the whole church. Because he went on to be the first bishop at the city of Rome, each bishop of Rome (the Pope) who followed after Peter's death is assumed to have inherited that commission.

Almost every other Christian denomination points out that this is all a theory and not supported by either Scripture or history, even though Peter was probably the most prominent of the twelve Apostles.

This is simply because I am interested in understanding. I am a Christian, saved sanctified filled with the Holy Spirit. Blood bought and living for the Lord.
You're certainly entitled to ask such things here.

Upvote 0

Solomons Porch

Solomon's Porch
Jan 8, 2017
East
✟206,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There are essentially two different branches of Christianity. From those two branches extend all the different denominations. One branch is the Catholic church. They pray to/thru Mary, do the confessional with the father. Their leader is the pope and are more organized.

The other branch are the protestants. They are a bit less on the ceremony of the Catholic church. We have pastors instead of priests. We're more strictly bible-based. I personally am a protestant and wholeheartedly disagree with their doctrine, as they do mine.
So do you pray directly to Jesus, not going thru anyone to get to Him? And thank you for your explanation :angel:

Reactions: Saint Beloved
Upvote 0

stuart lawrence

Oct 21, 2015
✟70,925.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I really mean no harm at all in this question, and if I word it wrong I apologize. I pray straight to Jesus. So Ive seen the movies where there are people who go to confession, where they sit in this little booth and tell the (priest/father?) their sins.....does that mean that they think/feel their sins are forgiven once they admit them in this confession booth? I do not know the proper name for it. And I know Mary was the mother of Jesus, but do you pray to her, or pray thru her? And what is the purpose of the Pope?

Well as I understand it, Catholics pray to Mary because they believe she is in heaven and intercedes for them.
But Mary Is not in heaven. She is awaiting the resurrection of the dead like everyone else is

Upvote 0

Solomons Porch

Solomon's Porch
Jan 8, 2017
East
✟206,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I
Well as I understand it, Catholics pray to Mary because they believe she is in heaven and intercedes for them.
But Mary Is not in heaven. She is awaiting the resurrection of the dead like everyone else is
I just dont get it, when the bible states no man cometh unto the Father but by me (Jesus).....o_O

Upvote 0

Saucy

King of CF
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2005
Michigan
✟838,184.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
So do you pray directly to Jesus, not going thru anyone to get to Him? And thank you for your explanation :angel:
Yes. Nowhere in the bible does it say to pray to Mary or any saints. It specifically says Christ is our mediator to God, not Mary or anyone.

Upvote 0

Solomons Porch

Solomon's Porch
Jan 8, 2017
East
✟206,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes. Nowhere in the bible does it say to pray to Mary or any saints. It specifically says Christ is our mediator to God, not Mary or anyone.
I suppose I struggle with "how" they feel/think that praying to Mary gets anything accomplished. She had a very supernatural experience and encounter, no doubt. But she was just a chosen vessel as were many others in the bible. Just a little confusing...

Upvote 0

PROPHECYKID

Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2007
The isle of spice
Visit site
✟73,684.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Well there is a scripture in the bible that answers that question directly.
1Timoth 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus;

So you go through Jesus, he is the mediotor not anyone else. Oh there is another scripture too:
Joh 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

So it is clear. Jesus is the mediator so he is the one you pray to, not any other man.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Solomons Porch

Solomon's Porch
Jan 8, 2017
East
✟206,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well there is a scripture in the bible that answers that question directly.
1Timoth 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus;

So you go through Jesus, he is the mediotor not anyone else. Oh there is another scripture too:
Joh 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

So it is clear. Jesus is the mediator so he is the one you pray to, not any other man.
AMEN :amen::amen::amen:

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I

I just dont get it, when the bible states no man cometh unto the Father but by me (Jesus).....o_O
As I explained in some other thread, the thinking is that those who have died in the faith (saints) are with God now and because of their holy lives have more influence with God, so it might help to enlist them as intermediaries on our behalf when we pray. It's a very weak argument if we go by the New Testament, but instead rests more on a rationalization.

Upvote 0

Tigger45

Pray like your life depends on it!
Site Supporter
Aug 24, 2012
E. Eden
✟1,273,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Both Roman Catholic and Orthodox Christians can and pray directly 'to' Jesus or any one or all of the Holy Trinity but they will frequently pray 'to' the Blessed Virgin Mary or other Saints. Protestants pray directly 'to' God or any of the personages of the Holy Trinity although acknowledging those passing on before us can and do pray 'for' us here still in our mortal bodies.

Upvote 0

PROPHECYKID

Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2007
The isle of spice
Visit site
✟73,684.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I suppose I struggle with "how" they feel/think that praying to Mary gets anything accomplished. She had a very supernatural experience and encounter, no doubt. But she was just a chosen vessel as were many others in the bible. Just a little confusing...

Well all of this is why the protestant reformation was necessary. Back in those days the bible was not made available for the common people to read for themselves so they believed whatever the priest said. Back then it is understandable why people would believe something like that. [Staff edit].

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Solomons Porch

Solomon's Porch
Jan 8, 2017
East
✟206,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Both Roman Catholic and Orthodox Christians can and pray directly 'to' Jesus or any one or all of the Holy Trinity but they will frequently pray 'to' the Blessed Virgin Mary or other Saints. Protestants pray directly 'to' God or any of the personages of the Holy Trinity although acknowledging those passing on before us can and do pray 'for' us here still in our mortal bodies.
But isn't that having a form of god before the TRUE GOD??
Thou shalt have no other gods before me......

Upvote 0

Solomons Porch

Solomon's Porch
Jan 8, 2017
East
✟206,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well all of this is why the protestant reformation was necessary. Back in those days the bible was not made available for the common people to read for themselves so they believed whatever the priest said. Back then it is understandable why people would believe something like that.
so what do they think the pope can do for them?

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

Tigger45

Pray like your life depends on it!
Site Supporter
Aug 24, 2012
E. Eden
✟1,273,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
No, 'they' are asking Saints to pray for God to intervene for them on their behalf.

Upvote 0

PROPHECYKID

Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2007
The isle of spice
Visit site
✟73,684.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
so what do they think the pope can do for them?
The pope claims to be the Vicar of God on Earth meaning he is God's representative here on earth. The answer to your question might differ from catholic to catholic so I can't really answer for them. But given that the position the Pope holds is one that claims to be God's representative on earth you can imagine what some possible answers might be.

Upvote 0

PROPHECYKID

Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2007
The isle of spice
Visit site
✟73,684.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
BTW, not all protestants believe in praying to saints even if it is asking saints to pray for them. I certainly do not believe in that.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.