Praying Out Loud, Does Anyone Else Have This Problem?

4x4toy

Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟116,025.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I find sometimes early in the morning that uncontrolled prayer rolls out and covers people and topics I didn't think about before hand but just speak . Quickly too

I think prayer should be spoken even if under your breath . I at least form the words even when silent . That's just me . I do tend to get lazy with my prayer these days and need to tighten up

Upvote 0

Chanticleera

May 1, 2016
Florida, US
✟17,148.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I've never prayed in public, but I have the opposite problem when it comes to praying.

When I pray silently, I find myself very easily distracted and at a loss for words. But when I pray out loud, I find it much easier to focus, and the words come easier.

Reactions: JCFantasy23
Upvote 0

Monna

Feb 5, 2017
Oicha Beni
✟105,254.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I have an equivalent problem in that I attend a church that uses (for me) a foreign language. The prayer language here is just as "artificial" as English prayer language, and I don't know all its quirks, so I feel very awkward praying in it out loud. But...

Maybe practising something as focused as thanking "the Lord for the food prepared for us" and asking for "his blessing on the conversation during the meal" would be a way to start if you ever have a meal together with friends.

Do you have difficulty reciting the Lord's prayer out loud? If not, try paraphrasing it.

In a rather inverted situation: A local church that was experiencing a revival and coming out of a rather synchretistic background asked me to come and help them. At the first meeting I attended I was blown away when the 'pastor' asked everyone to stand for prayer together. Everybody (over 100 men and women) started praying out loud at the same time! I couldn't concentrate to pray myself I was so disoriented (I was used to hour-long prayer meetings where most of the time was spent waiting for someone to pray out loud). After a few minutes, the 'pastor' rang a little bell and everybody finished - so there was definitely control.

When I asked afterward where this practice came from, they replied very matter-of-factly "it says in Acts that all the disciples were gathered in the upper room praying together on Pentecost." They assumed that meant they were all praying out loud at the same time, and were therefore following the scriptures. :):D

Whatever, perhaps you can use your experience as a speaker to imagine the Lord standing at the back of the room...and just speak normally to him (with your eyes open if that doesn't freak you out). Don't go into "churchy-speak," just thank him for being there, and tell him what's on your heart, totally naturally. Finish off if you like and it feels right by thanking him for listening. ... and for the audience, say "Amen," so they know you're finished.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,157,377.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I've never prayed in public, but I have the opposite problem when it comes to praying.

When I pray silently, I find myself very easily distracted and at a loss for words. But when I pray out loud, I find it much easier to focus, and the words come easier.

Well, you can "go into your room and close the door" as He said, and then even out loud won't matter, yes?

6 "But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you."

Sounds pretty wonderful, doesn't it?

• Agree
Reactions: Chanticleera
Upvote 0

Kit Sigmon

May 18, 2016
USA
✟76,189.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I've always had this strange problem whenever it comes to prayer. When it comes to silent prayer, I can go on and on and have no issues what's expressing on my heart to say. It comes natural to me to pray silently, even around other groups of people. However, when it comes to praying out loud and specifically leading people in prayer, I can't ever think of what to say, even when I get prayer requests it's still a struggle. I would just kind of stumble through the prayer until I hit everything on the list. I was always told "The more you do it, the better you get at it", but I lead prayers weekly for a year as my fraternity's chaplain and it still didn't get better. It's not an issue with public speaking, I'm in front of a classroom of students talking every day at work.

I just don't know what it is, I always avoid try to avoid leading prayers and praying out loud because of this. I see other these other Christians, in fact, it seems like every other Christian I know has no problem praying their heart out loud, but I just can't seem able to do so. Does anyone else have or had this problem? What helped?

I believe it's natural to feel comfortable when you're pray silently because you ain't worrying about what others think, you're not concerned about making a mistake or formality... Praying aloud tends to change that.

I recommend making a habit of praying aloud more.
You can use a lower voice tone depending on where you are/what you are doing etc.

• Winner
Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

PropheticTimes

Lord Have Mercy
Site Supporter
Dec 17, 2015
Ohio
✟204,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I actually have to pray out loud most of the time in order to focus well. When I pray silently my mind goes squirrelly, like, "Dear Lord, please watch over us and keep us safe and..... I really need to get the grass cut... i wonder why she said that yesterday... help us to hear your guidance and.... oh that's a pretty bird... i should see how Laura is doing.... "....

You see my problem :D

Upvote 0

Solomons Porch

Solomon's Porch
Jan 8, 2017
East
✟206,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I actually have to pray out loud most of the time in order to focus well. When I pray silently my mind goes squirrelly, like, "Dear Lord, please watch over us and keep us safe and..... I really need to get the grass cut... i wonder why she said that yesterday... help us to hear your guidance and.... oh that's a pretty bird... i should see how Laura is doing.... "....

You see my problem :D
I believe we ALL got that problem PT ^_^

Upvote 0

SnowyMacie

Apr 12, 2011
North Texas
✟118,149.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
In Relationship
Having a structure in group prayer helps such as (here)- Padre Pios novena.
(leaving out a few of the bits that might upset protestants! -choose your request.

I'm Anglican, I recite the Lord's Prayer weekly in church as well as occasionally other written prayers out loud perfectly fine. It's extemporaneous prayers that I struggle with.

Write one or two headings on a piece of paper. :)

I usually did that when serving as chaplain, it didn't really help.

Agreed, this is why I think it is so awkward for many or why so many don't seem to feel God the same as in privacy. I think worship is great as a group and public, but prayer is supposed to be private and individualized.

I think this may be part of it to, there's just always something that seems, well not personal about it. It seems more like I have to do it instead of feel the desire and need to prayer. It feels forced.

I recommend making a habit of praying aloud more.

Thanks, but I did it multiple times weekly for about a year.

This would be a problem "IF" I was trying to make prayer "pretty" and sound good to others. That is what would cause me discomfort. But therein is the problem that: are you wanting it to sound good? and be powerful "sounding" as to please another man or woman?

I don't want to feel less Christian because I can't pray out aloud.

Reactions: Rajni
Upvote 0

SnowyMacie

Apr 12, 2011
North Texas
✟118,149.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
In Relationship
Do you have difficulty reciting the Lord's prayer out loud? If not, try paraphrasing it.

No

In a rather inverted situation: A local church that was experiencing a revival and coming out of a rather synchretistic background asked me to come and help them. At the first meeting I attended I was blown away when the 'pastor' asked everyone to stand for prayer together. Everybody (over 100 men and women) started praying out loud at the same time! I couldn't concentrate to pray myself I was so disoriented

I've been apart of those types of prayers and I'm the same away, I can't even focus enough to collect my thoughts.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟335,132.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I also have trouble with extemporaneous prayers out loud. Maybe it's an introvert problem. :) I teach for a living, so I'm okay giving speeches in front of a group when I have plenty of content; but I generally have trouble with public speaking when there's not enough content to fill the time, and you have to keep talking anyway. Public prayers are like that for me: "God, thank you that we can be together today. Please help Alice to do well on her exams, and please heal Bob from his cancer." Okay, now I've said what I have to say, but I've still got a couple of minutes to fill. I guess I could give God more details about Alice and Bob, but God already knows all about both of them, so it feels silly telling God what he already knows. So I get stuck.

My private prayers involve a fair amount of sitting in silence in God's presence, but groups don't usually want the silence thing, unless it's a group of Quakers.

Mercifully, since I became Episcopalian, I'm often allowed to use the Book of Common Prayer in public settings, so I don't have to make up all the words on the spur of the moment.

So...no suggestions for you, really, except that I sympathize.

Reactions: Rajni
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I just don't know what it is, I always avoid try to avoid leading prayers and praying out loud because of this. I see other these other Christians, in fact, it seems like every other Christian I know has no problem praying their heart out loud, but I just can't seem able to do so. Does anyone else have or had this problem? What helped?
I'm sure you are not alone. I often think that the same thing will happen to me, although it rarely does. What I hope not to do is come forth with that kind of rambling, colloquial prayer that you hear so many laypeople give at invocations or the like--"We come here today, Father, thanking you Father, for keeping Joe and Mary safe on the road. And we ask you Father to make it rain tomorrow, Father, something something in Jesus name."

To avoid that, I study, in advance, a few pre-printed prayers from some prayerbook, usually ones with the right occasion in mind. It helps me with a few appropriate words or phrases and keeps me in the drift when I speak.

Upvote 0

Goatee

Jesus, please forgive me, a sinner.
Aug 16, 2015
Under a Rock. Wales, UK
✟77,615.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Divorced
I find it beneficial to pray out loud, and here's why: we have no indication that Satan and the other demons can read our thoughts. So I pray aloud so that they can hear my prayers for mercy as I call upon the Holy Name of the Christ, invoke the most Blessed Trinity, and pray as Christ has taught us ("Our Father who art in heaven...").

I'd agree it is harder to pray out loud. I think partly that's our sinful flesh not wanting to confess Christ when others may hear us, but I think it could be attacks from the demons trying to prevent you from prayer (going along with the idea that they are not mindreaders).

Just my $0.02

Waw, I like the first bit you said about praying out loud so that evil can hear you calling on Our Lord.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SnowyMacie

Apr 12, 2011
North Texas
✟118,149.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
In Relationship
Does someone really think my post was funny? It wasn't meant to be!

It struck a cord with me! Why not pray out loud? Or, not just in ones thoughts.

Someone probably accidentally rated it "funny". I've accidentally rated a post the wrong thing before, but I change it when I can catch it.

Upvote 0

ChristianFromKazakhstan

Oct 9, 2016
ALMATY
✟29,800.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I've always had this strange problem whenever it comes to prayer. When it comes to silent prayer, I can go on and on and have no issues what's expressing on my heart to say. It comes natural to me to pray silently, even around other groups of people. However, when it comes to praying out loud and specifically leading people in prayer, I can't ever think of what to say, even when I get prayer requests it's still a struggle. I would just kind of stumble through the prayer until I hit everything on the list. I was always told "The more you do it, the better you get at it", but I lead prayers weekly for a year as my fraternity's chaplain and it still didn't get better. It's not an issue with public speaking, I'm in front of a classroom of students talking every day at work.

Praying out loud is against Jesus Christ the Lord and must be totally forbidden.

Jesus said, pray secretly in your room behind closed doors.

Only such prayer will be heard and accepted by God.

The theatrical prayer out loud for other people to hear is directed at people, not at God, and Jesus said, there will be absolutely zero reward for such a sinful, hypocritical mockery of a prayer!!!

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,246.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Does someone really think my post was funny? It wasn't meant to be!

It struck a cord with me! Why not pray out loud? Or, not just in ones thoughts.

I apologize...it was the Waw part that i had to chuckle about....i wasn't laughing at you my friend....as a matter of fact i agree with you.

I apologize and i'll change it. (((hug)))

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,246.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Praying out loud is against Jesus Christ the Lord and must be totally forbidden.

Jesus said, pray secretly in your room behind closed doors.

Only such prayer will be heard and accepted by God.

The theatrical prayer out loud for other people to hear is directed at people, not at God, and Jesus said, there will be absolutely zero reward for such a sinful, hypocritical mockery of a prayer!!!

Hmmmmmm......just wondering.......didn't Jesus pray out loud?

Sometimes there is so much going on that it just comes pouring out, like David, who prayed silently, but also out loud, as others did throughout the Bible, like Elijah.

Upvote 0

ChristianFromKazakhstan

Oct 9, 2016
ALMATY
✟29,800.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The intention is what matters here. Why are you praying aloud? When I do so, like I said before, I'm not doing it so other people can hear. I try to be quiet and whisper under my breath. I don't shout and rend my garments intentionally for others to see me and think, "Wow, he's so pious!" That's the opposite of what I want to happen.

I pray aloud so that the demons hear me. If my neighbor hears me, then so be it; may God use this error and even my sinful deeds to guide others to the knowledge of Christ. But many times, I'm praying aloud by myself (when I'm home alone, in my room before bed, or when I wake up, etc.).

If someone prays aloud specifically so that others notice them, then your critique is spot-on. However, Christ never instructs that prayer be silent, rather he condemns prayer for the sake of garnering attention.

I agree 100%. Not that it must be soundless. You might shout from the top of your lungs - but to God only. Like on a mountain or in a forest, alone. If you're praying in a gathering of people, then let it be silent... Or so soft that nobody hears you. Let it reach the ears of God only, not other human beings. It's not for them to hear in the first place. It's very intimate. Like in the marriage bedroom, one whispers to their lover the most loving words just for them, not for Mr. Smith next door or for Mrs. Johnson across the street to join in hearing. That would have been very, very awkward and out of place.

God wants to be the only recipient of our prayers. Not share it with the whole world... If somebody overheard your prayer, but you didn't intend it, so be it, God will reward it the same way as if nobody heard it. We don't control all the circumstances, God knows it very well. He is just. He will certainly reward our best and most genuine effort.

But when a prayer is performed publicly, aloud or even silently in front of another person or people with the conscious intent of them hearing you or inferring that you're in prayer to God, it's a bad sin of hypocrisy and lack of true faith. Forbidden by Jesus!!!

Last edited:
Upvote 0