Praying and singing in Tongues in public.

Eluzai

Oct 29, 2004
✟241.00
Faith
Christian
"But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you." - Matthew 6:6

"And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by men. I tell you the truth, they have received their reward in full." - Matthew 6:5

So tongues then, obviously if God has given you something to be interpreted you say it so people can interpret. But what about singing away in tongues or praying in tongues all through worship (loudly enough for all the people around you to hear - not under your breath in a private way)?

What is the benefit to others around you and to yourself to sing or pray in tongues loudly in Church? Wouldn't it be better to do so quietly or save it for private times with God?

I do sometimes pray in tongues in Church, but only quietly under my breath.

Thoughts?

F

fiveinjuly

when you sing regularly do you sing with the worship team do you sing under your breath, no because you are giving glory to God. There are several Africans that attend my church, last night one of them was singing a song out loud in his language while we were having a prayer time. Would it be right to stop him??? NO. So why should there be special provisions for tounges? If a person yells out Jesus during a song, are we being edified by that, not really. It is your personal uplifting of the lord.

I'm not trying to start a debate, but I think that people take 1Cor to literally. You have to look at why that was written. It was written because the Corinthians were showing off. Do I think that things should be done decently and in order, yes, but should we quench the spirit no.

Upvote 0

Asaph

Jun 9, 2004
Deep South
✟5,795.00
Faith
Christian
fiveinjuly said:
when you sing regularly do you sing with the worship team do you sing under your breath, no because you are giving glory to God. There are several Africans that attend my church, last night one of them was singing a song out loud in his language while we were having a prayer time. Would it be right to stop him??? NO. So why should there be special provisions for tounges? If a person yells out Jesus during a song, are we being edified by that, not really. It is your personal uplifting of the lord.

I'm not trying to start a debate, but I think that people take 1Cor to literally. You have to look at why that was written. It was written because the Corinthians were showing off. Do I think that things should be done decently and in order, yes, but should we quench the spirit no.
Five,

I wasn't sure what the OP was about, but I'll go with your interpretation. And I'll agree with you. Most people (definately me included) are so hard headed they wouldn't know the Spirit if He jumped up and kick them in the ******** (that's derrehare, but I didn't know how to spell it!...:D )

Asaph

Upvote 0
F

fiveinjuly

let me also add that you are not benefirting the church any more or less wether you pray out loud or in your breath. I think that it becomes a problem (as it did with the corinthians) when people are speaking in tounges and they are interupting the message that is going forth and there is no one to interpret. I think that speaking in tounges during worship (devotion) is perfectly fine.

Upvote 0

Emma!

Veteran
Nov 3, 2003
✟16,982.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
1 Cor 14:22
Therefore tongues are for a sign, not to those who believe but to unbelievers; but prophesying is not for unbelievers but for those who believe.

How could it be a sign to unbelievers if it is never done in public??? :scratch:

I think that is is GOOD to be singing and praying in the Holy Spirit as a church, when all gathered together, it is one of the most beautiful things you have ever heard!! :clap:

I agree with fiveinjuly when she said that it was said to the church of Corinth who were showing off and not being loving and using their gifts to glorify God.

If the Holy Spirit wants to move, let Him!! I personally do think that it is uplifting to the church too, this sunday for example the worship leader picked up that there was lots of spiritual warfare going on and said "lets all just sing and pray to God in tongues (if you have tongues and if not in your language) for a moment", i tell you what, it was SO UPLIFTING and the most BEAUTIFUL thing i have ever heard!! It was literally the Holy Spirit singing!!! :clap: ......i cant see why that should be done in private or why that would be a bad thing.

As said by someone else it should be done in order, the church of Corinth was just butting into the sermon and not interprating the tongues (that had an interperation) and being compleately out of order. :doh:

Please dont take it to mean it should not be done in public. Tongues should also be used to pray for others (hands on) it gives the Holy Spirit more space to move.....

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Eluzai

Oct 29, 2004
✟241.00
Faith
Christian
Unless I've missed something did anyone answer my question:
What is the benefit to others around you and to yourself to sing or pray in tongues loudly in Church?
For instance when people are praying as a group in Church about an issue what is the benefit of praying loudly in tongues (the personal gift) to you and other believers?

And in worship when others are singing "And I'll never konw how much it cost..." what is the benefit to you and other believers in singing loudly in tongues and choosing to worship in a different way to the worship band and congregation.

when you sing regularly do you sing with the worship team do you sing under your breath, no because you are giving glory to God.
When the pharisees where worshiping God loudly on street corners and praying in the temples why does Jesus say praying is a private thing between you and God. I heard of a man in America who prayed for 28 years every night instead of sleeping and when someone offered to write about it and get it published he told them it was between him and God.

If God is rewarding us for what we do in private and not in public (see previous verse) then the people who speak all through a 45 minute worship in tongues must be praying in tongues a crazy amount at home in private all the time.

should we quench the spirit no.
Ive read about some amazing spirit filled ministries and ministers that were increadibly resistant to the Spirit and didn't want Him to move at all until He did, but they all agree that its very hard to stop the Spirit moving if He wants to. The Spirit of God seems to be more like the sun than the popular 'candle in the wind' consept. Can you imagine quenching the sun?

Upvote 0

Trish1947

Free to Believe
Nov 14, 2003
California
Visit site
✟24,917.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
I don't see the point of it if it's in a public arena, and not a group gathered in prayer. I mean what is the point of it? If thats your normal way of praying then fine, but we're not to freak people out either. Those that wouldn't understand and dont know the Lord would be hard pressed to figure out that it had anything to do with God. Praying over a meal in english can be understood by all.

Upvote 0