utah
✟11,777.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
How do we ask God for direction in our lives? I have always done it by asking God in faith for obvious signs. For example: Should I talk to x Person? If so, make it easy, provide an opportunity for me to talk to them without me going out of my way. If we don't cross paths by accident I wasn't meant to talk to them. I got this from the old testament where that old dude had a son and he chose his sons wife by going to a well and asking God to reveal plainly who would be his sons bride by having her offer water to him and his camel. What I do isn't quite as extreme, but I have complete faith that if I were to ever ask God in faith for something like this he would deliver. It has happened to me before. Short testimony: When I was an atheist I asked God to show me somehow that he was real. Two days later, I was walking home from school and I seen a homeless man sitting on the side of the road. Back then, I purposely avoided sketchy looking people so I was gonna cross the road to avoid him, but this time I thought that I shouldn't be so judgmental so I passed him. As soon as I passed him I felt his hand on my shoulder and I turned and he goes "God wants to see you in his kingdom of heaven" He turned back around and walked away without another word. There are a few details that are remarkable about this homeless man, but I wont share that here. I believe this was an angel sent by God to me to let me know "hey God is certainly real". I know that not everyone gets these kinds of things from God. I have heard people saying they want to give up because they have asked him if he is real many times with no response. How do we deal with that? The only thing I can think is that I prayed and I was expecting an answer. Almost like I already knew he was real. What do you guys make of this way of asking God For direction? Does it align with your beliefs and practices? I haven't done this for a while. I really should though cause I need a lot of direction recently. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks, God bless!

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟200,679.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
How do we ask God for direction in our lives? I have always done it by asking God in faith for obvious signs. For example: Should I talk to x Person? If so, make it easy, provide an opportunity for me to talk to them without me going out of my way. If we don't cross paths by accident I wasn't meant to talk to them. I got this from the old testament where that old dude had a son and he chose his sons wife by going to a well and asking God to reveal plainly who would be his sons bride by having her offer water to him and his camel. What I do isn't quite as extreme, but I have complete faith that if I were to ever ask God in faith for something like this he would deliver. It has happened to me before. Short testimony: When I was an atheist I asked God to show me somehow that he was real. Two days later, I was walking home from school and I seen a homeless man sitting on the side of the road. Back then, I purposely avoided sketchy looking people so I was gonna cross the road to avoid him, but this time I thought that I shouldn't be so judgmental so I passed him. As soon as I passed him I felt his hand on my shoulder and I turned and he goes "God wants to see you in his kingdom of heaven" He turned back around and walked away without another word. There are a few details that are remarkable about this homeless man, but I wont share that here. I believe this was an angel sent by God to me to let me know "hey God is certainly real". I know that not everyone gets these kinds of things from God. I have heard people saying they want to give up because they have asked him if he is real many times with no response. How do we deal with that? The only thing I can think is that I prayed and I was expecting an answer. Almost like I already knew he was real. What do you guys make of this way of asking God For direction? Does it align with your beliefs and practices? I haven't done this for a while. I really should though cause I need a lot of direction recently. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks, God bless!
The story you referred to is Gen 24:43 it is a little different from what you remembered but its close.

Upvote 0

mndgn.j

not a holier than thou
May 9, 2022
utah
✟11,777.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The story you referred to is Gen 24:43 it is a little different from what you remembered but its close.
yes! i learned this story from a childrens ot bible with pictures and everything! c;

Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟376,544.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Yes, if you are daily walking close to Him He punctuates your life with divine intrusions.

Consider this passage...

Isaiah 7
10 Then the Lord spoke again to Ahaz, saying, 11 “Ask a sign for yourself from the Lord your God; make it deep as Sheol or high as heaven.” 12 But Ahaz said, “I will not ask, nor will I test the Lord!” 13 Then he said, “Listen now, O house of David! Is it too slight a thing for you to try the patience of men, that you will try the patience of my God as well? 14 Therefore the Lord Himself will give you a sign: Behold, a virgin will be with child and bear a son, and she will call His name Immanuel. 15 He will eat curds and honey at the time He knows enough to refuse evil and choose good. 16 For before the boy will know enough to refuse evil and choose good, the land whose two kings you dread will be forsaken.

You will notice the Lord wanted Ahaz to ask for a sign !!!

Ahaz refused - so God responded by producing the most important sign of all...

We learn from this that signs are acceptable to Him and in some instances preferred.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Walk together

Jun 25, 2021
sydney
✟30,237.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Labor
You have shared a beautiful testimony with your personal experience with the old man. I fully believe that this was indeed an Angel sent to give you the answer that you had asked God to give you. And now that you are a true Christion and God has proven to you that he can and does answer prayer you can expect ansers for most of your important and real needs it is the petty and needless requests that God will ignore. It is said that God answers all prayers and I think the ones that we think go unanswered are in fact answered by the silence. No answer is no for now or no for good. Just knowing God is real is enough assurance of much love to come.

Upvote 0

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟186,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Signs were one of the most important and obvious ways that people of the Bible confirmed God's will.

Moses asked for a sign to show the people he was sent
Gideon in the book of Judges asked God for the fleece
Elijah asked God for a sign to show the people the prophets of Baal were false

Jesus even said that signs would follow those who believe. Healing the sick, casting out demons, speaking in tongues, etc.

But we also need to be careful of our hearts intentions when asking for a sign.

The Pharisees asked Jesus for a sign and he rebuked them for it.

The issue, the difference, was their heart. The Moses', Gideon's, Elijah's of the scriptures asked God for a sign out of sincere love and devotion. Pharisees weren't asking for a sign because they wanted to believe, they were wanting to prove that Jesus was fake.

Upvote 0

frank sears

Jul 26, 2022
Searcy,ar
✟10,904.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
We walk by faith and not by sight, therefore we should study the Bible and follow the teachings of Jesus and the apostles. We really should not ask for a sign, however God can answer a request if He so chooses. I have received physical manifestations from God, but never because I asked for them, it is up to God.

Upvote 0

Jesse Dornfeld

Slave to Christ
Supporter
Oct 11, 2020
Twin Cities
Visit site
✟176,263.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Wonderful testimony!

I think some other people are already getting your inquiry right. It is a heart issue.

Psalm 51:17 ESV
“The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit;
a broken and contrite heart, O God, you will not despise.”

Humility is very important when we come to God for our requests.

Matthew 18:1–4 ESV
“At that time the disciples came to Jesus, saying, “Who is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven?” And calling to him a child, he put him in the midst of them and said, “Truly, I say to you, unless you turn and become like children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. Whoever humbles himself like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven.”

It is an odd thing that we should not only be humble when we come to God but also bold and without doubting. These seem contradictory, but they are really not. I myself struggle with coming to Christ with confidence because I am acutely aware of my sin.

James 1:5–8 ESV
“If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask God, who gives generously to all without reproach, and it will be given him. But let him ask in faith, with no doubting, for the one who doubts is like a wave of the sea that is driven and tossed by the wind. For that person must not suppose that he will receive anything from the Lord; he is a double-minded man, unstable in all his ways.”

Hebrews 4:16 ESV
“Let us then with confidence draw near to the throne of grace, that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need.”

God listens to our hearts. He wants to give us good things.

Matthew 7:7–8 ESV
““Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives, and the one who seeks finds, and to the one who knocks it will be opened.””

I find the right posture is much like this song.

Upvote 0

Wyatt A.

Apr 23, 2022
Baywood-Los Osos
✟31,396.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Single
Be not forgetful to entertain strangers: for thereby some have entertained angels unawares.

Upvote 0

Lost Witness

Ezekiel 3:3 ("Change")
Nov 10, 2022
New York
✟97,156.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
PRAISE GOD!!!
I've had Similar Experiences myself,
though I don't think I've ever doubted his existence.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums