• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Praise God for AA

madison1101

Senior Veteran
Sep 17, 2004
Pennsylvania
✟5,939.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat

I am so grateful for AA and the 12 Steps. I am home, nursing a bad wound, , having been hospitalized for two weeks in January. When I was in rehab a little more than two years ago, I wisely completed the first three steps. I basically took Step 3 when my counselor was preparing to request more time inpatient. I really did not want to stay there any longer, and really tried to change him mind. But, each morning, I met for devotions with another believer, and I made a conscious decision to turn that part over to God. When I saw my counselor, he told me he was shocked that my insurance was willing to give me another full week. I then did Step 3. What I learned during the following week broke through an arrogance I did not realize I had.

Prior to my hospitalization and treatment, I heard a wise old timer share that while AA meetings, reading literature, calling my sponsor, and talking to other alcoholics were all good stuff, they are not the program of Alcoholics Anonymous. The programs of recovery is the 12 steps of AA. I truly did not get that at first. When people would encourage me to work my program, I honestly thought they were talking about phone calls and ,meeting attendance. I had been in AA for 21 years, and I did not get the Truth till right before rehab.

Then, while in rehab, I started to learn things that I may have heard said, before, but it had not gotten through my thick skull. I learned that I could learn from young people, and people who had less time in AA before. I realized that I had not fully worked all 12 Steps. Nor, had I ever done them under the supervision of my sponsor before.

So, since rehab, a little over 2 years ago, I have been released from the obsession to drink. Praise God.

The reason I am so grateful is that I was in the hospital for cellulitis and surgery, and I never once felt sorry for myself, no did I was to abuse my narcotic medication.

Last edited: