Practical religion

Xeno.of.athens

I will give you the keys of the Kingdom of heaven.
May 18, 2022
Perth
✟127,775.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Victor Hugo wrote Les Misérables, it is a book about justice become cruel, a society grown harsh, prisons about punishment and suffering, and that offers no path to redemption. Yet in the story is a bishop, the good bishop, who - while poor himself - gives all the wealth he has to redeem a thief.
It is practical religion.

What do you think of it?

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,686.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
A little more, it also is to be caring for God.
Agreed yet, we tend to ignore the bit about His Kingdom come and Hs will being done in earth, instead making religion about what is in it for us.

Upvote 0

Xeno.of.athens

May 18, 2022
Perth
✟127,775.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Agreed yet, we tend to ignore the bit about His Kingdom come and Hs will being done in earth, instead making religion about what is in it for us.
I suppose, "your kingdom come" is what's in it for us. We have faith in Jesus Christ because we hope for a better world to come a world, one in which there is righteousness and justice, where peace is truly present and where no one is starving, no one dies from bad health, no one is left to suffer without any care because no one will suffer with God as their healer. And, "your will be done on Earth as it is in heaven", is also what's in it for us, because our theology teaches us that God's will is good, nothing but good, good Right the way through from front to back, from top to bottom. Good, pure, good exclusively and entirely good.

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,686.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
We have faith in Jesus Christ because we hope for a better world to come a world, one in which there is righteousness and justice, where peace is truly present and where no one is starving, no one dies from bad health, no one is left to suffer without any care because no one will suffer with God as their healer. And, "your will be done on Earth as it is in heaven", is also what's in it for us, because our theology teaches us that God's will is good, nothing but good, good Right the way through from front to back, from top to bottom. Good, pure, good exclusively and entirely good.
Which we were already told we could have here if we would but love all as self rather than just self.

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟477,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
It is one of only a couple of musicals that I like. I love a good story of redemption and courage.

Well it certainly had a long run on the West End. I believe it set records which remain unmatched. Now i should note I have not seen it in person; the closest I have come to seeing a musical in person was seeing the now defunct D’Oyle Carte Company’s 2002 production of The Mikado at the Savoy Theatre in London, where it first premiered in 1885*, which was very special.

*It is apocryphally alleged by some younger members of my family that I was almost certainly alive and present at the original premiere and was personally acquainted with Gilbert and Sullivan, and while I will concede to feeling increasingly ancient, I can assure members that alas unfortunately I am not that old; I say unfortunately because that would have been amazing being alive in the 1870s and 1880s.

Upvote 0

Xeno.of.athens

May 18, 2022
Perth
✟127,775.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
At least the younger members of your family were kind enough to place you in the era of 1885. It may have been worse They may have said you were alive when Victor Hugo wrote Les Misérables.

• Haha
Reactions: tampasteve
Upvote 0