mreeed

shalom...
Oct 2, 2014
✟76,579.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I think I read that in Powerpoint it is possible to attach an audio file to a slide. I don't currently have this program, but the answer to this question may help determine how soon I need to get it. Has anybody tried this out in a worship setting? ie attaching a music file to a slide. Will the file continue to play when the next slides are shown? Any way to pause play if there is a hiccup? Or is this whole scenario just wishful thinking?

aog17

Sep 23, 2017
West
✟17,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Powerpoint is a basic forward-moving presentation software with individual slides doing it’s own thing.

If you want to play music and seamlessly transition slides, I think the best software for church would be pro presenter. The best thing about pro presenter is you don’t have to switch files to transition from Praise and worship, announcements, and sermon. You can have a seamless presentation for all 3.

Upvote 0

mreeed

shalom...
Oct 2, 2014
✟76,579.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Thank you drjean, that helps to know. But I am realizing that what I was thinking may not follow copyright properly though since embedding files involves making copies of them? And I would be transferring the powerpoint presentation to another computer, importing slides, etc. And half the reason I was thinking of this was to avoid copyright issues, ie illegal youtube downloads (sigh).

aog17, I don't think we have any budget for software, but wondering if you know if/how a program like pro presenter deals with the concept of copyrights?

Upvote 0

Thomas Payne

I very serious...
Dec 2, 2017
Rome
✟7,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Mreeed

Yes, I have attempted to use powerpoint in a worship setting (VBS). I attached the files to a slide and the music continues to play while moving through slides. It has been a while since I've done it so updates in powerpoint may or may not have made it more complex. As i remember you can also set a timer on the slides so it would move along with an audio file without someone actively changing slides.

I'm guessing you want to create worship videos with lyrics? If so a video making program is also not a bad option. Depending on how much you spend on the video program though the complexity and functionality can be good or overwhelming.

Someone mentioned ProPresenter in an earlier comment. When it comes to Worship Software it is a God send. I do realize that the 399$ price tag hurts the wallet on smaller churches. Let me lay it out for you though, this program is great, it will integrate video, audio, slides, and even powerpoint into it. The price tag is well worth it. It will take a little bit of learning but there is a bank of youtube videos from the actual programmers to help. If your church has the equipment to display lyrics, etc on stage you do best having a program meant for it.

You mentioned copyrights as well. I don't know the depth of knowledge you have in the copyright field (I'm not the best with it). If you are a paid member of CCLI you have your individual account number. In the case of ProPresenter you enter this number into a section on the display page. From there you can choose to display the copyright information on a song on First, Last, Both, or Every Slide. Unless you are importing songs from SongSelect though you will have to enter the copyright information manually one time. Once again though, ProPresenter is a great tool for doing this.

If I am correct, you can still download Propresenter from Download ProPresenter | Renewed Vision
You can give it a spin at home on your own computer and see how things work. Mind you if you attempt to use this in an actual setting it displays a giant PRO6 logo on the screen. It is great though if you're working from home or if you just want to play around and see if you like it.

God Bless,

Upvote 0

aog17

Sep 23, 2017
West
✟17,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Thank you drjean, that helps to know. But I am realizing that what I was thinking may not follow copyright properly though since embedding files involves making copies of them? And I would be transferring the powerpoint presentation to another computer, importing slides, etc. And half the reason I was thinking of this was to avoid copyright issues, ie illegal youtube downloads (sigh).

aog17, I don't think we have any budget for software, but wondering if you know if/how a program like pro presenter deals with the concept of copyrights?
To answer the first question. You need a CCLI license not only to playback copyrighted music on powerpoint, but modern worship music lyrics as well. It is even copyright infrigement to distribute the lyrics on paper.

The vast majority of Pentecostal/Charismatic churches in the United States do not have the budget to pay for copyright license and are simply not aware of this law. There would be lawsuits all over the place if this was enforced.

Seven Things You Need To Know About CCLI

There’s a similar software called OpenLP it’s free and works similarly to pro presenter.
OpenLP - Wikipedia

Upvote 0

soombing

Daniel • Amateur Photographer
Aug 3, 2018
DIY
Visit site
✟17,492.00
Country
Indonesia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Thanks aog17 for posting about CCLI, though in my country I don't think anyone knows "CCLI". However I found an interesting comment in the link you posted!

Cjo : After reading US copyright law carefully, I find this section a little curious.

—————————————————-
§ 110 . Limitations on exclusive rights: Exemption of certain performances and displays

Notwithstanding the provisions of section 106, the following are not infringements of copyright:

(3) performance of a nondramatic literary or musical work or of a dramatico-musical work of a religious nature, or display of a work, in the course of services at a place of worship or other religious assembly;

——————————————————

It clearly states that both performance and display of religious songs in a worship service do not require permission from the copyright holder.

Can someone explain why everyone says that it’s illegal to display the lyrics of a song without a license?

How do you guys think about that?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

searchingsoul

Humbly following God's Plan
Jun 18, 2006
Kansas
✟11,705.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I am realizing that what I was thinking may not follow copyright properly though since embedding files involves making copies of them? And I would be transferring the powerpoint presentation to another computer, importing slides, etc. And half the reason I was thinking of this was to avoid copyright issues, ie illegal youtube downloads (sigh).

There are resources for church worship videos where you can buy, then download the videos.
Lifewayworship.com
And worshiplyricvideos.com

Upvote 0