• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Powerful interview to stop kids from trying drugs.

DennisTate

Site Supporter
Mar 31, 2012
Nova Scotia, Canada
Visit site
✟379,864.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Upvote 0

Larniavc

Leading a blameless life
Jul 14, 2015
✟315,079.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
This interview has the power to prevents kids from experimenting with drugs.

That will not convince anyone thinking about taking drugs.

Upvote 0

DennisTate

Site Supporter
Mar 31, 2012
Nova Scotia, Canada
Visit site
✟379,864.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives

Then why did more people in England go out to see the movie about Colton Burpo than the one starring Johnny Depp?

Story of four-year-old's near-death experience transfixes America

It was only when the little boy described in detail watching his father as he shouted in despair at God in a hotel anteroom, something he could not have known about, that Mr Burpo began to believe he was dealing with more than a little boy’s drug-induced hallucinations.

Colton went on to recognise a photograph of a great-grandfather he had never met and talked about a sister he said told him she had "died in their mother’s tummy".

The family had never discussed the baby his mother Sonja lost to a miscarriage a year before Colton’s birth, or told him about his father's rant against God as he lay on the operating table.

These details helped to convince them that Colton’s claims were true, and Mr Burpo went on to write a book about his experiences.

Also called Heaven is for Real, it became an unlikely bestseller, spending three years at the top of the charts. Now, 10 years after Colton’s brush with death on a hospital operating table, it has been made into a film starring Greg Kinnear as Todd Burpo.

Opening on Easter weekend, the movie was an instant hit, taking $22.5 million (£13.4 million) in its first three days and easily overshadowing Transcendence, a blockbuster starring Johnny Depp which had been expected to dominate the box offices.

Upvote 0

Larniavc

Leading a blameless life
Jul 14, 2015
✟315,079.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Then why did more people in England go out to see the movie about Colton Burpo than the one starring Johnny Depp?
What was the title of the two films in question and why would viewing figures convince a young person planning to take drugs change their minds?

Reactions: DennisTate
Upvote 0

DennisTate

Site Supporter
Mar 31, 2012
Nova Scotia, Canada
Visit site
✟379,864.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
What was the title of the two films in question and why would viewing figures convince a young person planning to take drugs change their minds?

Heaven is for Real is the movie about Colton Burpo and Transcendence was the movie starring Johnny Depp, (which had been expected to gross far, far, far, far more than Heaven is for Real).

There are several reasons why viewing a video or movie about a near death experience can turn a young person away from drugs. A study was referred to, (I believe it was in Transformed by the Light by Dr. Melvin Morse), about a test done on people who had recently attempted suicide. One group was simply given near death experience accounts to read. Zero people from this group attempted suicide again during the duration of the study. Dr. Morse felt that NDE accounts could be used as therapy for people with suicidal tencencies. Lots of people who abuse hard drugs are already somewhat suicidal and just don't care if they mess up their minds and bodies.

(Note, the words "Click to expand" at the bottom of a quotation allows for the entire quote to be viewed. )

Upvote 0

Larniavc

Leading a blameless life
Jul 14, 2015
✟315,079.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Heaven is for Real is the movie about Colton Burpo and Transcendence was the movie starring Johnny Depp, (which had been expected to gross far, far, far, far more than Heaven is for Real).

There are several reasons why viewing a video or movie about a near death experience can turn a young person away from drugs. A study was referred to, (I believe it was in Transformed by the Light by Dr. Melvin Morse), about a test done on people who had recently attempted suicide. One group was simply given near death experience accounts to read. Zero people from this group attempted suicide again during the duration of the study. Dr. Morse felt that NDE accounts could be used as therapy for people with suicidal tencencies. Lots of people who abuse hard drugs are already somewhat suicidal and just don't care if they mess up their minds and bodies.

(Note, the words "Click to expand" at the bottom of a quotation allows for the entire quote to be viewed. )
How many people attempted suicide from the control group?

Also: why compare it to Transcence. The two films se to have little in common.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Upvote 0

DennisTate

Site Supporter
Mar 31, 2012
Nova Scotia, Canada
Visit site
✟379,864.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
How many people attempted suicide from the control group?

Also: why compare it to Transcence. The two films se to have little in common.

I can't remember exactly how large that study was......
and I gave my copy of the book to somebody else.

I think that the movie was compared with Transcendence only because it was released at the same time in England.

Upvote 0

DennisTate

Site Supporter
Mar 31, 2012
Nova Scotia, Canada
Visit site
✟379,864.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives

I just found another good testimony about somebody who was healed of addictions and he became a pastor. It is after the 1:00:00 mark in this video:

Upvote 0

Larniavc

Leading a blameless life
Jul 14, 2015
✟315,079.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
I just found another good testimony about somebody who was healed of addictions and he became a pastor. It is after the 1:00:00 mark in this video:

What makes you think this person’s testimony will convince anyone thinking about taking drugs to not do so?

• Useful
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

DennisTate

Site Supporter
Mar 31, 2012
Nova Scotia, Canada
Visit site
✟379,864.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
What makes you think this person’s testimony will convince anyone thinking about taking drugs to not do so?

In the book Transformed By The Light a study was referred to where people who had attempted suicide in the past were given near death experience accounts to read as a possible therapy. Zero people from that group attempted suicide again during the duration of that study. For some reason simply reading or nearing near death experiences gives people a greater strength to avoid attempting suicide....... taking drugs is a form of escape from reality that probably has a somewhat similar psychological foundation to the formula that leads to attempting suicide.

Upvote 0

Larniavc

Leading a blameless life
Jul 14, 2015
✟315,079.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
In the book Transformed By The Light a study was referred to where people who had attempted suicide in the past were given near death experience accounts to read as a possible therapy. Zero people from that group attempted suicide again during the duration of that study. For some reason simply reading or nearing near death experiences gives people a greater strength to avoid attempting suicide....... taking drugs is a form of escape from reality that probably has a somewhat similar psychological foundation to the formula that leads to attempting suicide.
That’s fascinating. Can you give me a reference?

• Useful
Upvote 0

DennisTate

Site Supporter
Mar 31, 2012
Nova Scotia, Canada
Visit site
✟379,864.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
That’s fascinating. Can you give me a reference?

Sorry for taking so long.......
I've been looking for the book but I think I loaned it to somebody else years ago.

This may help:

Bright Lights, Big Mystery

For Sappington and others, the issue is not whether the person is actually meeting God, but why NDErs routinely seem better adjusted, more at peace and content with themselves and the world after their experience. Disregarding, for the time being at least, how they got that way, and focusing on the changes themselves, psychologists would like to borrow this newfound sense of well-being and utilize it in therapy.
Reports are highly consistent and common: "I understand things so much more" and "My senses all seem heightened." Subjects claim "sudden knowledge and comprehension of complex mathematical theorems." Psychologist Ring has identified a consistent set of value and belief changes. They include:
a greater appreciation for life
o higher self-esteem
o greater compassion for others
o a heightened sense of purpose and self-understanding
o desire to learn
o elevated spirituality
o greater ecological sensitivity and planetary concern
o a feeling of being more intuitive, sometimes psychic.
o He also observes "psychophysical changes," including:
o increased physical sensitivity
o diminished tolerance to light, alcohol, and drugs
o a feeling that their brains have been "altered" to encompass more
o a feeling that they are now using their "whole brain" rather than just a small part.
NDErs undergo radical changes in personality, and their,significant others--spouses, friends, relatives--confirm these changes, reports Bruce Greyson, M.D., clinical psychiatrist and associate professor at the University of Connecticut. Like Sappington, he is concerned with what can be learned from such new outlooks on life." (Psychology Today, article Bright lights, big mystery, by James Mauro, published on July 01, 1992)

Transformation Through Dying

Upvote 0