• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

**Possible Trigger** Escape fantasy?

.Sabre.

Aliens ate my custom title.
Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2006
Chasing the sun's fading light
✟40,588.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
**Trigger Warning**

Does anyone else have "escape" fantasies, or did you? I just want to know if this is common because I used to, and sometimes still do, have fantasies of getting my life secure and sorted, then making myself impossible to find (dye hair, change name, etc.)

Bellicus

Account no longer in use
Jul 11, 2008
✟10,709.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Maybe you should do that if you feel like it?

I have felt like doing the same lots of times, but i don't feel there is a genuine need for it. I just have lots of bad memories and want a fresh start somewhere. Maybe it is really about trying to escape from ourselves and the things that feel bad inside, instead of outside, and then I guess it won't help to try to escape. But if anyone got a actual threat hanging over them, then it must be a relief to get it on a distance.

Upvote 0

heidi140

Feb 1, 2008
✟15,219.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I've thought about how great it would be to just kind of disappear....to have a new life where I wouldn't have any contact with my parents at all. I've always felt trapped and even distance can't really make me feel better. My counselor is trying to help me to feel like my relationship with my parents can be a choice - that I can decide what I want it to be now.....but my dream would be to have no contact at all with them ever again....which I'll always feel too bad to really follow through on. My escape from it would be to disappear and them not be able to locate me. If it weren't for my job and technical things that prevent it, I'd probably follow through with it. I know I wouldn't be able to escape the pain, but at least I could get away from them.

Upvote 0

heidi140

Feb 1, 2008
✟15,219.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It's good to hear from other people who can relate. I hadn't thought about it from the perspective of the physical abuse. Which is interesting, cause I used to daydream about that all the time when I was younger. I created dreams where I was physically abused or in some situation where a person who I cared about and looked up to could come and protect me and get me out of there. Just having the person protect me was enough usually...so I didn't relate it to the escape part...but I guess it was.

Sometimes it seems like I spent most of my childhood daydreaming about stuff like that. It usually revolved around someone who I wished was my dad...who would act like he cared about me and protect me.

Upvote 0

flying_kiwifruit

used to be bellaandpjforever I had a name change</
Site Supporter
Mar 24, 2006
New Zealand
✟52,205.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I have escape fantisies all the time, because I still live in the same town and house. I have basically got a escape planned out, and one day I will most likely follow through with it but for now, I will live with the fantasies

Upvote 0

annrobert

Jesus is my Shelter my Refuge my Fortress
Jan 24, 2009
Canada
✟17,269.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I used to imagine living underground with some other children that were also needing care and I would care for them,the underground home was hidden in the woods and the top covered over with grass,so no one would know we were there.When it was safe we would come outside for awhile.When I got older it changed to just wanting to stay away from everyone so no one could hurt me anymore.I used to have nightmares of being chased by my dad on boats roads mountains and hiding from him.thats all for now.bye

Upvote 0

Criada

Site Supporter
Feb 6, 2007
✟114,628.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
I have those thought continually.. and have had from the age of about 7.. though they have grown more realistic over the years. I still find myself at the station, fighting the temptation to just get on a train and go somewhere no one can find me..

I think this is fairly common.. but few follow through, because we realise how much hurt it would cause..

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums