Jul 10, 2012
✟568,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
No need to exhume anyone. It's not as if the history isn't well documented. Let's exhume him to study his teeth so they can tell us what history books already tell us that he was from Medina, lol. Nobody cares.
- What if analysis shows that Muhammad's teeth formed somewhere else such as Syria?
- What if his DNA shows a genetic predisposition to some sort of neurological illness that could explain his religious experiences naturalistically?
- What if the grave is empty?
- What if the skeleton shows signs of being assassinated?

Lots of interesting possibilities IMO

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,110,801.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I wonder if Muslim feelings might change in the future? Take the Shroud of Turin. Jesus was considered to be a divine being by Catholics yet they have been willing to expose the shroud to controlled scientific study. Why not the skeleton of Muhammad? He was a great figure in Islam, but he was just a human like any other Muslim. I assume that Muslim archaeologists exhume skeletons for study all the time, so why not Muhammad?
There is a clear purpose in testing the Shroud that would be a benefit to all of Christianity. How would the testing that you purpose on Muhammad's body be of benefit to Islam?

Upvote 0

cloudyday2

Generic Theist
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2012
✟568,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
There is a clear purpose in testing the Shroud that would be a benefit to all of Christianity. How would the testing that you purpose on Muhammad's body be of benefit to Islam?
See post #21 for some possibilities. If I was a Muslim, I would be curious.

Upvote 0

anatolian

Senior Veteran
Dec 12, 2006
Turkey
✟22,421.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Single
So we must start somewhere. Do you give me permission to exhume Muhammad? His clothes aren't as interesting as his teeth and DNA.
No I do not. Because your purpose is useless. The knowledge you seek for can be found by other means.

Reactions: Arthra
Upvote 0

cloudyday2

Generic Theist
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2012
✟568,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
No I do not. Because your purpose is useless. The knowledge you seek for can be found by other means.
See post #21. Anything we find about Muhammad's skeleton that casts doubt on the traditional Islamic historical narrative should be of cardinal importance to Muslims. Even if everything about Muhammad's skeleton is consistent with Islamic beliefs, it would be interesting. ... Plus you never know what you're going to find until you start digging. The real interesting information might be something nobody has thought about yet.

Upvote 0

anatolian

Senior Veteran
Dec 12, 2006
Turkey
✟22,421.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Single
See post #21. Anything we find about Muhammad's skeleton that casts doubt on the traditional Islamic historical narrative should be of cardinal importance to Muslims. Even if everything about Muhammad's skeleton is consistent with Islamic beliefs, it would be interesting. ... Plus you never know what you're going to find until you start digging. The real interesting information might be something nobody has thought about yet.
No bud I am not going to see the post no 21 again bc you are not understanding my point. Disturbing someone's grave is disrespect to his memory bc his soul is resting there now. It must have a real crucial importance to dig in someone's grave. Justt because of the possibility of becoming interesting is not an ennough cause to disturb his soul. So no Muslim will permit you to do that just bc you consider it interesting..

Also, we Muslims believe that the real "interesting" information is already found in Quran, the book he preached to us. You can find answers for all your questions if you read a translation of Quran. Then you can understand whether it was written by a neurologically ill person or the God.

• Friendly
Reactions: cloudyday2
Upvote 0

cloudyday2

Generic Theist
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2012
✟568,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
We know he was assassinated. He was poisoned.
According to Wikipedia most assumed that death resulted from a fever, but Muhammad claimed that he had been poisoned. Maybe the death was caused by something else like bone cancer. We won't know until we exhume the skeleton.
Muhammad - Wikipedia

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟870,015.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
According to Wikipedia most assumed that death resulted from a fever, but Muhammad claimed that he had been poisoned. Maybe the death was caused by something else like bone cancer. We won't know until we exhume the skeleton.
Muhammad - Wikipedia
There's more evidence that Wiki doesn't go into. Anyway, poisons can cause serious fever.

• Agree
Upvote 0

cloudyday2

Generic Theist
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2012
✟568,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
There's more evidence that Wiki doesn't go into. Anyway, poisons can cause serious fever.
Another possibility is that Muhammad poisoned himself by accident. Let's say Muhammad had some illness that he kept private and treated with a cutting-edge medicine for his time.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

MoneyGuy

May 27, 2007
✟48,923.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I was just thinking that if scientists could exhume the skeletons of Muhammad and others buried nearby then we might learn something about the history of Islam. For example, the teeth might tell us where Muhammad and other Muslim leaders lived as children. DNA might be extracted too.

I wonder how Muslim culture would feel about studying these bones?

EDIT: Some scholars suspect that Muhammad's Mecca was somewhere other than the modern Mecca. Maybe studying the teeth of a skeleton who grew up in the region of Muhammad's Mecca would answer that question. DNA could also give insights. It seems that Muslims might want to understand their own history better. If Muslims are willing to exhume other bodies for scientific study, then I don't know why Muhammad would be a special case for them. He was only a man like any other Muslim.

EDIT2: Another issue is the neurological condition of Muhammad, and DNA might give some insights to that.
They may already have put a hit out on you. They get angry when someone draws Muhammad; I'm sure they'd consider this a desecration.

Upvote 0

buzuxi02

Veteran
May 14, 2006
New York
✟212,454.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
- What if analysis shows that Muhammad's teeth formed somewhere else such as Syria?
- What if his DNA shows a genetic predisposition to some sort of neurological illness that could explain his religious experiences naturalistically?
- What if the grave is empty?
- What if the skeleton shows signs of being assassinated?

Lots of interesting possibilities IMO

It would mean it's not him. There is saying that conspiracy theories means we no longer need history books.

Upvote 0

cloudyday2

Generic Theist
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2012
✟568,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
They may already have put a hit out on you. They get angry when someone draws Muhammad; I'm sure they'd consider this a desecration.
Well, obviously the scientists would get Saudi approval before exhuming the skeletons. I can imagine in 50 years that Muslims might have more Western attitudes and authorize it. IDK

Upvote 0

cloudyday2

Generic Theist
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2012
✟568,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
It would mean it's not him. There is saying that conspiracy theories means we no longer need history books.
Not necessarily. It might mean that the Islamic historical narrative is fiction. There are a few scholars who think the historic Muhammad was very different - maybe even two separate people - but definitely not the character of Islamic tradition.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,239,202.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I wonder if Muslim feelings might change in the future?
Maybe, but for now I think there would be general opposition.
Take the Shroud of Turin. Jesus was considered to be a divine being by Catholics yet they have been willing to expose the shroud to controlled scientific study. Why not the skeleton of Muhammad?
Because Mohammad was not Catholic. Catholics are not generally opposed to science.
He was a great figure in Islam, but he was just a human like any other Muslim. I assume that Muslim archaeologists exhume skeletons for study all the time, so why not Muhammad?
I really doubt Muslim archaeologists do lots of exhumation of skeletons. I suppose they would allow it reluctantly for solving crimes.

• Informative
Upvote 0

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟870,015.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
FWIW, I was wondering about mercury. It seems that mercury might be detectable in the bones or the dirt that was originally flesh. IDK
What would be the significance of mercury?

Upvote 0

cloudyday2

Generic Theist
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2012
✟568,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
What would be the significance of mercury?
Just that ancient people considered mercury to have medical benefits. So if Muhammad developed some chronic ailment and called-in the doctors of the time it is possible that their treatments might have slowly poisoned him (especially if they used mercury). The symptom of fever doesn't match mercury poisoning though. Typical symptoms seem to be nerves and brain.

Upvote 0